- Mother's Day (Modern Family)
"Mother's Day" Modern Family episode Episode no. Season 2
Directed by Michael Spiller Written by Dan O'Shannon
Production code 2ARG21 Original air date May 4, 2011 Guest stars
Jean Villepique as Jennifer
Todd Weeks as Roy
Season 2 episodes Episode chronology ← Previous
"Someone to Watch Over Lily"
"Good Cop Bad Dog"
List of Modern Family episodes
"Mother's Day" is the twenty-first episode of the American comedy television series, Modern Family's second season and the 45th episode overall of the series. It original aired on the American Broadcast Company (ABC) on May 4, 2011. The episode was written by Dan O'Shannon and Ilana Wernick and was directed by Michael Spiller.
In the episode, Claire (Julie Bowen) and Gloria's (Sofía Vergara) Mother's Day excursion outdoors with the kids turns into the mother of all disasters. Meanwhile, Phil (Ty Burrell) and Jay (Ed O'Neill) share an awkward moment after Jay finds a letter he wrote to his mom on a past Mother's Day when they stay home to prepare dinner for everyone; and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) attempts to show his appreciation for Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) by bringing him breakfast in bed on Mother's Day; causing Cameron to worry about the gender roles in his relationship with Mitchell.
"Mother's Day" received positive reviews from critics with Alan Sepinwall, who is usually critical of the series, calling Ed O'Neill's performance "terrific". The episode also marked a rise in the ratings from the previous episode, "Someone to Watch Over Lily". The episode also ranked as the highest rated scripted program on Wednesday.
Claire and Gloria want to spend this year's Mother's Day outdoors hiking with the kids, but the bickering and complaining drives Claire and Gloria to the edge. Meanwhile, Phil and Jay stay home to cook a nice dinner for the family, but things get really awkward when Phil witnesses an unexpected moment of weakness from Jay, and Cameron gets very self-conscious about being seen as the "mother" in his relationship with Mitchell.
"Mother's Day" was written by Dan O'Shannon and Ilana Wernick, marking the former's sixth writing credit and the latter's fourth writing credit. The episode was also directed by Michael Spiller, his fourteenth credit for the series. "Mother's Day" featured guest appearances from Jean Villepique as Jennifer and Todd Weeks as Roy, Mitchell and Cameron's friends. Following the episode's airdate, ABC allowed fans to make a personalized Mother's Day E-card. Modern Family co-creator Steven Levitan called the episode "one of our best this season" on Twitter. The episode was later put in for Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series along with "The Old Wagon", "The Kiss", "Halloween", "Caught in the Act" and "Someone to Watch Over Lily".
In its original American broadcast, "Mother's Day" was viewed by an estimated 9.90 million households and received a 3.9 rating/10% share among adults between the ages of 18 and 49. This means that it was seen by 3.9% of all 18–49 years olds, and 10% of all 18–49 year olds watching television at the time of the broadcast. This marked a slight rise in the ratings from the previous episode, "Someone to Watch Over Lily". "Mother's Day" was the most-watched scripted show for the week of broadcast among adults aged 18–49, and the twenty-first most-watched show among all viewers.
The episode received mostly positive reviews from critics. The A.V. Club writer Joshua Alston called the episode "darn good 'Mother's Day' overall". He mainly praised the writers for changing the Phil and Jay's relationship, calling it "a welcome change." He ultimately gave the episode a B+. Aly Semigran of Entertainment Weekly called the episode "funny and touching", writing that "This may not go down as one of the all-time greats of Modern Family, but a satisfying episode it most certainly was." Meredith Blake of The Los Angeles Times praised the writers on changing the Mitchell and Cameron's storyline, commenting, "I'm happy that this week, Modern Family delivered a Cameron-Mitchell storyline that was insightful, funny and maybe even a little brave.". TV Squad writer Joel Keller gave the episode a mostly positive review, but criticized the episode for not reaching its potential. He wrote: "it's one of those things that's hard to put a finger on; it could be that most of the plots were a series of funny events in search of an ending, but it was mostly because they simply weren't as funny as they could be."
HitFix writer Alan Sepinwall wrote that while the episode didn't live up to the previous episode, praised Jay's outburst at the dinner table and the writers for playing the other plots of it and called O'Neill's performance "terrific". Christine N. Ziemba of Paste wrote that while "Modern Family had some great one-liners in this episode" she concluded that "with such a loaded and promising premise, “Mother’s Day” was brought down a notch by a hiking storyline that was dead before reaching the trailhead." She ultimately gave it a 7.1/10 calling it "respectable".
- ^ a b c d e "Daily News Releases". Abcmedianet.com. 2011-04-18. http://abcmedianet.com/assets/pr/html/041811_10.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "Dan O'Shannon - Filmography by TV series". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0642591/filmoseries#tt1442437. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- ^ "Ilana Wernick - Filmography by TV series". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0921521/. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- ^ "Filmography by TV series for Michael Spiller". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0818785/filmoseries#tt1442437. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- ^ "Breaking News - "Modern Family" Presents A Very Special Way to Celebrate Mother's Day". TheFutonCritic.com. http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/05/04/modern-family-presents-a-very-special-way-to-celebrate-mothers-day-39413/20110504abc02/. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- ^ http://twitter.com/#!/SteveLevitan/status/65922072278351872
- ^ O'Neill, Tom (July 6, 2010). "'Modern Family' will enter these six episodes in Emmy race for best comedy series". The Los Angeles Times. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/awards/2011/07/modern-family-emmy-news.html. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- ^ a b Seidman, Robert (2011-02-27). "Wednesday Final Ratings: ‘American Idol,’ ‘Survivor,’ ‘Modern Family,’ ‘Law & Order: SVU’ Adjusted Up; ‘Breaking In’ Adjusted Down - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/05/05/wednesday-final-ratings-american-idol-survivor-modern-family-law-breaking-in-adjusted-down/91702. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- ^ Seidman, Robert (April 21, 2011). "TV Ratings Wednesday: 'Modern Family,' 'Happy Endings,' 'Breaking In,' 'American Idol,' Down; 'Cougar Town' Up and Down; 'Better with You' Up". TV by the Numbers. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/04/21/tv-ratings-wednesday-modern-family-happy-endings-american-idol-down-cougar-town-up-and-down-better-with-you-up/90155. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- ^ Seidman, Robert (2007-08-28). "TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: ‘American Idol,’ ‘The Voice,’ ‘Modern Family,’ ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ ‘NCIS’ Top Week 33 Viewing - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/05/10/tv-ratings-broadcast-top-25-american-idol-the-voice-modern-family-dancing-with-the-stars-ncis-top-week-33-viewing/92076/. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- ^ a b Sepinwall, Alan. "Review: Modern Family - Mothers Day: Big boys dont cry". HitFix.com. http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/modern-family-mothers-day-big-boys-dont-cry. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- ^ a b Alston, Joshua. ""Mother's Day" | Modern Family | TV Club | TV". The A.V. Club. http://www.avclub.com/articles/mothers-day,55427/. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- ^ Breznican, Anthony. "Modern Family recap: Mamma Mia! | Season 2 Episode 21 | EW.com". Tvrecaps.ew.com. http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/modern-family-mothers-day/2/. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- ^ May 5, 2011 . "'Modern Family' recap: Recipe for the perfect mom | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/05/modern-family-recap-recipe-for-the-perfect-mom.html. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- ^ a b "'Modern Family' Season 2, Episode 22 Recap". Tvsquad.com. 2011-05-05. http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/05/modern-family-season-2-episode-22-recap/. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- ^ a b "Modern Family Review: "Mother's Day" (Episode 2.21) :: TV :: Reviews :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. 2011-05-05. http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/05/modern-family-review-mothers-day-episode-221.html. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
Modern Family Episodes Characters Pritchett-Delgado familyJay Pritchett · Gloria Delgado-Pritchett · Manny Delgado Dunphy familyClaire Dunphy · Phil Dunphy · Haley Dunphy · Alex Dunphy · Luke Dunphy Tucker-Pritchett familyMitchell Pritchett · Cameron Tucker · Lily Tucker-Pritchett Creators See alsoAwards Quotes Modern Family episodes Season 1"Pilot" · "The Bicycle Thief" · "Come Fly With Me" · "The Incident" · "Coal Digger" · "Run for Your Wife" · "En Garde" · "Great Expectations" · "Fizbo" · "Undeck the Halls" · "Up All Night" · "Not in My House" · "Fifteen Percent" · "Moon Landing" · "My Funky Valentine" · "Fears" · "Truth Be Told" · "Starry Night" · "Game Changer" · "Benched" · "Travels with Scout" · "Airport 2010" · "Hawaii" · "Family Portrait" Season 2"The Old Wagon" · "The Kiss" · "Earthquake" · "Strangers on a Treadmill" · "Unplugged" · "Halloween" · "Chirp" · "Manny Get Your Gun" · "Mother Tucker" · "Dance Dance Revelation" · "Slow Down Your Neighbors" · "Our Children, Ourselves" · "Caught in the Act" · "Bixby's Back" · "Princess Party" · "Regrets Only" · "Two Monkeys and a Panda" · "Boys' Night" · "The Musical Man" · "Someone to Watch Over Lily" · "Mother's Day" · "Good Cop Bad Dog" · "See You Next Fall" · "The One That Got Away" Season 3
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mother's Day (disambiguation) — Mother s Day is a holiday honouring mothers; it is celebrated on various days, in many parts the world Mother s Day (US), the holiday as observed in the United States of America Mothering Sunday, a religious day, when people visited their mother… … Wikipedia
Mother's Day — This article is about several worldwide days celebrating motherhood. For other uses, see Mother s Day (disambiguation). Mother s Day A homemade greeting card, one of many ways to honor one s mother Observed by Many countries … Wikipedia
Modern Family (season 2) — Modern Family season 2 DVD cover Country of origin United States … Wikipedia
Modern Family (season 1) — Modern Family season 1 Season 1 DVD cover Country of origin United States No. of episodes 24 … Wikipedia
Mother Tucker (Modern Family) — Mother Tucker Modern Family episode Episode no. Season 2 Episode 9 Directed by Michael Spiller Written b … Wikipedia
Modern Family (season 3) — Modern Family season 3 Country of origin United States No. of episodes TBA Broadcast Original channel ABC … Wikipedia
Modern Family — Titre original Modern family Genre Sitcom Créateur(s) Christopher Lloyd II Steven Levitan Acteurs principaux Ed … Wikipédia en Français
Modern Family — Modern Family … Wikipedia
Door to Door (Modern Family) — Door to Door Modern Family episode Episode no. Season 3 Episode 4 Directed by Chris Koch Written by … Wikipedia
List of Modern Family episodes — Modern Family is an American family comedy series that airs on ABC. It is created by Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan. The mockumentary follows the families of Jay Pritchett (Ed O Neill), his daughter Claire Dunphy (Julie Bowen), and his son… … Wikipedia