- Revelations (Audioslave album)
Revelations Studio album by Audioslave Released September 5, 2006 Recorded October 2005 in Atlanta, Georgia; January 2006 at Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA Genre Hard rock, funk rock, alternative rock Length 48:28 Label Epic (non-US), Interscope (US)
8 2796-97728-2 9
Producer Brendan O'Brien Audioslave chronology Out of Exile
Singles from Revelations
- "Original Fire"
Released: August 28, 2006
Revelations is the third and final studio album by the American rock supergroup Audioslave. Lead vocalist Chris Cornell departed the band shortly after release in February 2007. The album was released on September 5, 2006 in the U.S., and a day earlier in the UK. Brendan O'Brien, who has produced or mixed the albums of numerous major rock acts of the past twenty years, including Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Incubus, and Bruce Springsteen, was at the helm for this record.
Audioslave had 20 songs written (a few of which were sampled during their 2005 tour), and returned to the studio in early January 2006 to finish recording them. For Revelations, which was influenced by 1960s and 70s music, Cornell adopted his "seventies funk and R&B-flavor vocals." Guitarist Tom Morello described the sound as "Earth, Wind and Fire meets Led Zeppelin". Musically, the album is similar to Audioslave's previous album, but with a twist. The band incorporates soul and funk influences in many (if not all) of the songs on the album. Love, life and loss are all themes on the new album. Political activism is also starting to rear its head in Audioslave's music with songs such as "Wide Awake", which uses the Hurricane Katrina disaster and George W. Bush as subject matter.
Morello stated that Revelations was "the first record [Cornell] didn't smoke, drink or take drugs through the recording." However, Morello said: "Chris was stone sober during the making of our Out of Exile album. Chris was also sober during the making of Revelations and prior to recording he gave up smoking as well. I apologize for any confusion or concern that was stirred up by the original article. Sobriety can be a matter of life or death and Chris' courage in maintaining his health for years has been an inspiration."
Despite the exposure to other forms of media and the positive critical buzz for their third album, Audioslave did not tour behind the release. They went into hiatus to allow Cornell to complete "You Know My Name", the theme song for the 2006 James Bond film, Casino Royale, and Morello to pursue his own solo work under the moniker of The Nightwatchman. News about Cornell's departure emerged in July 2006, when insiders stated that after the third album he would split for a solo career. The singer immediately denied the rumors, stating "We hear rumors that Audioslave is breaking up all the time. ... I always just ignore [them]." On February 15, 2007, Cornell officially announced his departure from Audioslave, stating that "Due to irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences, I am permanently leaving the band Audioslave. I wish the other three members nothing but the best in all of their future endeavors." As the other three members were busy with the Rage Against the Machine reunion, and Morello and Cornell had each released solo albums in 2007, Audioslave was officially disbanded.
Many of the tracks have not been performed live, as Cornell left the band in 2007. "One and the Same", "Wide Awake", and "Sound of a Gun" were played by the band during the Out of Exile tour, and Cornell performed alone recently acoustic versions from "Until We Fall", "Original Fire", and "Wide Awake". Lacking a lead vocalist and with the band's future in question, the remaining members have not toured in support of the album.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  PopMatters  Q (#243, Oct. 2006, p. 127) The Skinny  Slant 
The band released Revelations in September 2006. Revelations entered the Billboard 200 at the number two spot with 150,631 copies. The album has sold nearly one million copies worldwide. The album has been certified gold in the US for shipments of 500,000, in Canada for shipments of 50,000, in Australia for shipments of 35,000 (first week), and in New Zealand for shipments of 7,500 (first week). The first two singles were "Original Fire" and "Revelations".
When marketing for the album, the band had the fictional nation dubbed Audioslave Nation shown on the album art featured on Google Earth. Prior to the album's release, the title track appeared in the video game Madden NFL 2007. The songs "Wide Awake" and "Shape of Things to Come" were prominently featured in Michael Mann's 2006 film, Miami Vice, prior to the release of the album.
On July 3, 2006, a private listening party was held for fan club members and non fan club contest winners. The album gained a strong fan review, noting a darker tone, and anthemic choruses. The album received mixed reviews, gaining a 60 out of 100 metascore at Metacritic based on 15 reviews. Rolling Stone wrote: "Most of these twelve tracks are impressive structures with periodic highs... that never resolve into songs." A number of reviewers also mentioned that the four members moved even further on the way to their mutation into a cohesive, unified rock band.
- "Revelations" – 4:12
- "One and the Same" – 3:38
- "Sound of a Gun" – 4:20
- "Until We Fall" – 3:50
- "Original Fire" – 3:38
- "Broken City" – 3:48
- "Somedays" — 3:33
- "Shape of Things to Come" – 4:34
- "Jewel of the Summertime" – 3:53
- "Wide Awake" – 4:26
- "Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye" – 3:32
- "Moth" – 4:57
iTunes bonus track
- "Show Me How to Live (Live at The Quart Festival)" - 5:02
Best-Buy bonus disc (Japanese bonus tracks)
- "Set It Off" (Live at The Quart Festival) – 4:25
- "Doesn't Remind Me" (Live at The Quart Festival) – 4:50
- "Gasoline" (Live at The Quart Festival) – 5:34
- "Out Of Exile" (Live at The Quart Festival) – 5:04
Special Edition DVD
A special edition of the album includes an 18-minute DVD featuring interviews with the band members on their thoughts on the album.
- Chris Cornell - vocals
- Tom Morello - guitar
- Tim Commerford - bass guitar/backing vocals
- Brad Wilk - drums
- Billy Bowers - Engineer
- P.R. Brown - Cover Art
- Danny Clinch - Photography
- Nick DiDia - Engineer
- Brandy Flower - Art Direction
- Pete Lewis - Band Technician
- Bob Ludwig - Mastering
- Brendan O'Brien - Producer
- Bobby Schneck - Band Technician
- Matt Serrechio - Assistant
- Tom Syrowski - Assistant
Year Album name Chart Position 2006 Revelations The Billboard 200 2 Top Canadian Albums 1 Top Internet Albums 2 UK Albums Chart 12 Australian ARIA Albums Chart 1
Year Track name Chart Position 2006 "Original Fire" The Billboard Hot 100 79 Mainstream Rock Tracks 4 Modern Rock Tracks 3 "Revelations" Mainstream Rock Tracks 6 Modern Rock Tracks 38
- ^ "Blabbermouth.net - AUDIOSLAVE Guitarist On New CD: 'If You Want Your Ass Kicked, You've Come To The Right Place'". Blabbermouth.net. 2006-03-31. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=50408. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- ^ Rogulewski, Charley (2006-04-27). "Tom Morello Swings His Hammer". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2006-05-04. http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20060504043332/http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10146985/tom_morello_swings_his_hammer?rnd=1146173101411&has-player=true&version=220.127.116.112. Retrieved 2007-08-20.
- ^ Harris, Chris (2006-03-31). "MTV News - New Audioslave LP: 'Led Zeppelin Meets Earth, Wind & Fire'". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1527383/20060329/audioslave.jhtml. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- ^ Reuters (2006-09-13). "Audioslave ponders perils of success". Yahoo! Music. http://new.music.yahoo.com/audioslave/news/audioslave-ponders-perils-of-success--35684831. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- ^ "Audioslave Frontman Cleans Up His Act For 'Revelations'". Blabbermouth.net. 2006-08-26. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=57170. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- ^ "Slaves To The Music'". The Age (Australia). 2006-08-25. http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/slaves-to-the-music/2006/08/24/1156012641945.html?page=2. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- ^ a b Harris, Chris (2006-07-26). "Chris Cornell Working On Solo LP—But Dismisses Rumors Of Audioslave Split". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1537179/20060726/cornell_chris.jhtml?headlines=true. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- ^ Harris, Chris. "Chris Cornell Talks Audioslave Split, Nixes Soundgarden Reunion". MTV News. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1552582/20070215/audioslave.jhtml. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- ^ "Video interview with Tom Morello". Toazted. 2007. http://www.toazted.com/playinterview/2245/Video-interview-with-Tom-Morello-27.html. Retrieved 2007-08-20.
- ^ "Revelations - Audioslave". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r852473.
- ^ "Audioslave: Revelations". PopMatters. http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/5112/audioslave-revelations/.
- ^ http://www.skinnymag.co.uk/content/view/2839/141/[dead link]
- ^ "Audioslave: Revelations". Slant. http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/music_review.asp?ID=958.
- ^ "Audioslave's Chris Cornell Says He's Still Got The 'Original Fire'". Blabbermouth.net. 2006-08-03. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=55995. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- ^ "Come to Audioslave Nation!". Audioslave.com. http://www.audioslave.com/audioslavenation/. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- ^ "Metacritic - Revelations by Audioslave". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/audioslave/revelations?q=audioslave.
Modern Times by Bob Dylan
Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
September 11–17, 2006
by Justin Timberlake
Studio albums DVDs Singles Related articles
- "Original Fire"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Audioslave (album) — Audioslave Studio album by Audioslave Released November 19, 2002 … Wikipedia
Audioslave — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Audioslave … Wikipedia Español
Revelations (song) — Revelations is also a song by power metal band DragonForce.Infobox Single Name = Revelations Caption = Artist = Audioslave from Album = Revelations A side = B side = Released = 2007 Format = Recorded = 2006 Genre = Alternative metal, hard rock… … Wikipedia
Revelations — Pour l album homonyme du groupe Killing Joke, voir Revelations (album). Revelations Album par Audioslave Sortie 5 septembre 2006 Enregistrement … Wikipédia en Français
Revelations — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Revelations Álbum de Audioslave Publicación 4 de septiembre del 2006 Género(s) Hard rock … Wikipedia Español
Audioslave — De la gauche vers la droite : Tim Commerford, Chris Cornell, Brad Wilk et Tom Morello, au Montreux Jazz Festival, en 2005 … Wikipédia en Français
Revelations (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Revelations Type = studio Artist = Audioslave Released = September 5, 2006 Recorded = October 2005 in Atlanta, Georgia; January 2006 at Henson Studios, Los Angeles, CA Genre = Alternative metalHard rock Length = 48:28 Label … Wikipedia
Audioslave — ] That was Chris suggestion that sort of came to him in a vision. We re all on the two way pagers, and Chris one night said, I got it. It s Audioslave. We were all, like, All right, fantastic. ... To paraphrase Elvis Costello, talking about band… … Wikipedia
Audioslave discography — Infobox Artist Discography Artist = Audioslave Caption = Studio = 3 Studio link = Studio albums Live = Live link = Compilation = Comp link = Video = 2 Video link = Videos EP = EP link = Music videos = 9 Singles = 11 B sides = B sides link = B… … Wikipedia
Revelations (album) — Pour l album homonyme du groupe Audioslave, voir Revelations. Revelations Album par Killing Joke Sortie 1982 Durée 42 min 9 s … Wikipédia en Français