- Mosaic Place
Mosaic Place Location River Street West and Second Avenue Northwest, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Coordinates Coordinates: Broke ground July 9, 2009 Opened August 19, 2011 Owner City of Moose Jaw Construction cost $61.2 million Architect McDonell Quiring Neumann Architects General Contractor Ventana Construction Corporation Capacity Ice hockey: 4,465
Tenants Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) (2011–present)
Mosaic Place (also known as the Moose Jaw Multiplex) is a multi-purpose arena in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. It will host curling and ice hockey and will be home to the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League. It is scheduled to open on August 19th, 2011 and seat 4,500 spectators. It will replace the Warriors' current arena, the Moose Jaw Civic Centre.
By the early 2000s, the Moose Jaw Civic Centre faced criticism that it was too small and not up to standards for the Warriors hockey team. A civic referendum in 2006 approved construction of a new $36.3 million arena, with the city contributing $15 million. Soon after, plans emerged for a more ambitious $61.2 million facility, with $36.5 million coming from the city. A group of citizens sued the city, claiming that the referendum vote in 2006 did not allow the city to spend more than the original amount. The case was dismissed, and civic voters approved the project again in 2009 with a second referendum.
The entire project cost about $61 million, with the city of Moose Jaw paying $34.5 million. Provincial and federal governments paid $8 million and community fundraising committed to $10 million. Groundbreaking for the new facility took place on July 9, 2009. Ten-year naming rights to the facility were sold to The Mosaic Company for $150,000 per year, beginning in 2011.
- ^ Gourlie, Matthew (June 18, 2008). "WHL happy with city's decision". Moose Jaw Times-Herald. http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/Hockey/2008-06-18/article-18106/WHL-happy-with-citys-decision/1. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- ^ Wolfe, Cory (June 19, 2008). "WHL applauds Moose Jaw decision to build new arena". The StarPhoenix (CanWest). http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=b5670190-8f04-4755-a7a2-4098fcbd41b0. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- ^ "City of Moose Jaw scores victory in hockey arena court case". CBC News. December 24, 2008. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2008/12/24/moose-jaw.html. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- ^ "Clear yes to Moose Jaw multiplex". CBC News. February 25, 2009. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/02/25/vote-arena.html. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- ^ "Construction begins on Moose Jaw Multiplex". CBC News. July 9, 2009. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/07/09/multiplex.html. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- ^ "Moose Jaw complex gets corporate name". CBC News. August 11, 2011. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2011/08/11/sk-moose-jaw-complex-110811.html. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
Current arenas in the Western Hockey League Eastern
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field — Taylor Field Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field prior to a Roughrider game … Wikipedia
Mosaic Legislation — • The body of juridical, moral, and ceremonial institutions, laws, and decisions comprised in the last four books of the Pentateuch, and ascribed by Christian and Hebrew tradition to Moses Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Mosaic… … Catholic encyclopedia
Mosaic (journal) — Mosaic a journal for the interdisciplinary study of literature Abbreviated title (ISO) … Wikipedia
Mosaic evolution — (or modular evolution) is the concept that evolutionary change takes place in some body parts or systems without simultaneous changes in other parts. Another definition is the evolution of characters at various rates both within and between… … Wikipedia
Mosaic (Fabergé egg) — Mosaic Fabergé egg Year delivered 1914 Customer Alexandra Feodorovna Current owner … Wikipedia
mosaic — mosaically, adv. /moh zay ik/, n., adj., v., mosaicked, mosaicking. n. 1. a picture or decoration made of small, usually colored pieces of inlaid stone, glass, etc. 2. the process of producing such a picture or decoration. 3. something resembling … Universalium
Mosaic — /moh zay ik/, adj. of or pertaining to Moses or the writings, laws, and principles attributed to him: Mosaic ethics. Also, Mosaical. [1655 65; < NL Mosaicus, equiv. to LL Mos(es) MOSES + aicus, on the model of Hebraicus Hebraic] * * * Surface… … Universalium
Mosaic — This article is about a decorative art. For other uses, see Mosaic (disambiguation). Irano Roman floor mosaic detail from the palace of Shapur I at Bishapur … Wikipedia
MOSAIC Threat Assessment Systems — Articleissues advert = September 2008 POV = December 2007MOSAIC Threat Assessment Systems is an American company that devises and administers methods for assessing and screening threats to public figures. It was originated in 1980 by Gavin de… … Wikipedia
Mosaic Communications Corporation — Netscape Communications Cet article concerne l entreprise. Pour le navigateur Web produit par cette dernière, voir Netscape Navigator. Logo de Netscape Communications … Wikipédia en Français