- Recalada a Bahía Blanca Light
Recalada a Bahía Blanca Light Recalada a Bahía Blanca Light Location Monte Hermoso, Argentina Coordinates Coordinates: Year first constructed 1906 Construction cast iron Tower shape octagonal pyramidal skeletal with central cylinder Markings / pattern red and white horizontal bands Height 220 feet (67 m) Focal height 245 feet (75 m) Range 28 nautical miles (52 km; 32 mi) Characteristic white flash every 9s Admiralty number G0986 NGA number 110-19540 ARLHS number ARG-009
Recalada a Bahía Blanca Light, also known as Monte Hermoso Light or simply Recalada Light (lit. landfall), is an active lighthouse in Monte Hermoso, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina, marking the entrance to the Bahía Blanca. At a height of 220 feet (67 m) it is the eleventh tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world, as well as the tallest lighthouse in the Southern Hemisphere.
It consists of a central cylinder of iron, 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) in diameter and eight cast iron columns. There are a total of 331 steps.
The light station is staffed and the tower is open to guided tours.
- List of tallest lighthouses in the world
- ^ According to List of Lights. 246 feet (75 m) according to The Lighthouse Directory
- ^ Rowlett, Russ. "The Tallest Lighthouses". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/tallest.htm.
- ^ a b Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Northern Argentina". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/arg.htm.
- ^ a b c "Centenario del Faro Recalada a Bahía Blanca [Centennial to Recalada a Bahía Blanca Lighthouse]" (in Spanish). hidro.gov.ar. http://www.hidro.gov.ar/noticias/FaroRecaladaBBca.asp. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- (PDF) List of Lights, Pub. 110, Greenland, The East Coasts of North and South America (Excluding Continental U.S.A. Except the East Coast of Florida) and the West Indies. List of Lights. United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. 2010. p. 269. http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/NIMA_LOL/Pub110/Pub110bk.pdf.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dalén light — AGA light nearby Djurgården in Stockholm. The Dalén light was the predominant form of light source in lighthouses from the 1900s through the 1960s, when electric lighting had become dominant. The system was invented by Gustaf Dalén and marketed… … Wikipedia
Liste amerikanischer Leuchttürme — Peggy’s Point, Nova Scotia, Kanada Die Liste amerikanischer Leuchttürme enthält eine Auswahl der Leuchttürme, die sich auf dem amerikanischen Doppelkontinent befinden oder befanden. Die Leuchttürme sind nach ihrem Standort in alphabetischer… … Deutsch Wikipedia