- Dialog (online database)
Dialog was one of the predecessors of the World Wide Web as a provider of information, though not in form. The earliest form of the Dialog system was completed in 1966 under the direction of Roger K. Summit. According to its literature, it was "the world's first online information retrieval system to be used globally with materially significant databases". In the 1980s, a low-priced dial-up version of a subset of Dialog was marketed to individual users as Knowledge Index. This subset included INSPEC, MathSciNet, over 200 other bibliographic and reference databases, as well as third-party retrieval vendors who would go to physical libraries to copy materials for a fee and send it to the service subscriber.
- ^ "ProQuest signs agreement to acquire Dialog business from Thomson Reuters". ProQuest LLC. June 8, 2008. Retrieved on March 6, 2009.
- ^ "ProQuest acquires Dialog". ProQuest LLC. July 1, 2008. Retrieved on March 6, 2009.
- ^ Susanne Bjorner and Stephanie C. Ardito, Online Before the Internet: Early Pioneers Tell Their Stories. Part 1: In the Beginning, Searcher, June 2003 ISSN 1070-4795
- ^ Susanne Bjorner and Stephanie C. Ardito, Online Before the Internet: Early Pioneers Tell Their Stories. Part 2: Growth of the Online Industry;, Searcher, July/August 2003 ISSN 1070-4795.
- ^ Roger Summit, Reflections on the Beginnings of Dialog: The Birth of Online Information Access, Chronolog, June 2002. The Dialog Corp. ISSN 0163-3732
- ^ Thomson Scientific and the invention of online information services, visited 1/26/2008
- ^ Phyllis E. Worden, Knowledge Index. Journal of Extension, Volume 26 Number 2, 1988. ISSN 1077-5315
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dialog (disambiguation) — Dialogue, often spelled dialog, is a conversation between two or more persons.Dialogue may also refer to: * Dialogue (fiction), conversation between two characters in fiction or theaters * Dialogue (magazine), an Ohio based fine arts magazine * * … Wikipedia
Dialog mit meinem Gärtner — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Dialog mit meinem Gärtner Originaltitel Dialogue avec mon jardinier … Deutsch Wikipedia
CSA (database company) — CSA Illumina (formerly Cambridge Scientific Abstracts) is a provider of online databases, based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is now a division of ProQuest, which in turn is now a subsidiary of the Cambridge Information Group. The company… … Wikipedia
List of online databases — This is a list of online databases accessible via the internet.0 9* 10eastern A B ;A * Acronym Finder * Adult Film Database * aeiou Encyclopedia * Airdisaster.com * Airliners.net * All Media Guide * Allmovie * Allmusic * African American Registry … Wikipedia
Energy Science and Technology Database — The Energy Science and Technology Database (EDB) is a multidisciplinary file containing worldwide references to basic and applied scientific and technical research literature. The information is collected for use by (United States) government… … Wikipedia
CAB Direct (database) — Global Health redirects here. For other uses, see Global health. CAB Abstracts Producer CABI (United Kingdom) History 1973 to present Languages Fifty languages, English abstracts Access Providers Datastar, Dial … Wikipedia
Massively multiplayer online role-playing game — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Der Dialog — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Der Dialog Originaltitel The Conversation Produk … Deutsch Wikipedia
Full text database — A full text database or a complete text database is a database that contains the complete text of books, dissertations, journals, magazines, newspapers or other kinds of textual documents. It is opposed both to a bibliographic database (only… … Wikipedia
Inspec — Producer Institution of Engineering and Technology History 1967–present Access Providers Inspec Direct, Datastar, Dialog, EBSCO Publishing, Elsevier, FIZ Technik, Thomson Innovation, Thomson Web of Knowledge, Ovid, Questel.Orbit, STN … Wikipedia