- Moldova–Switzerland relations
Moldovan-Swiss relations are diplomatic, economic and other relations between Moldova and Switzerland. Both countries established diplomatic relations on September 2, 1992. Moldova is represented in Switzerland through its embassy to the United Nations in Geneva. Switzerland is represented in Moldova through its embassy in Kiev (Ukraine) and an honorary consulate in Chişinău. Since 1992 various senior Moldovan officials have visited Switzerland to discuss improvements in bilteral relations. Switzerland has provided significant aid to Moldova.
Official visits and statements
In April 1992 the Swiss military attaché in Moscow said that Switzerland intended to establish links between the Swiss and Moldovan military institutions and assist Moldova in strengthening defense capabilities.
In October 2006, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Switzerland to Moldova Christian Fessler stated that Switzerland supports Moldova's European integration efforts, and hoped for a peaceful settlement of the Transnistria conflict.
In June 2008, the Moldovan Vice-Premier and Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Integration Andrei Stratan visited Switzerland and met with senior officials to discuss improvements in bilateral relations, including visa arrangements and joint cooperation efforts in the social, tourism and education sectors. They noted plans to open an embassy of Switzerland in Chişinău.
In December 2008 Valery Ostalep, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Moldova, visited Switzerland and met with senior officials to discuss opportunities for improved economic relations.
As of 2008, Moldova and Switzerland had signed a dozen agreements, half of which were economic.
In 1996 it was reported that the Swiss-American Micro-Enterprise Programme would lend money for small loans to assist Moldova's micro-enterprises. Switzerland's State Secretariat for Economic Affairs funded a project in 2005 to assist the Moldovan Ministry of Economy and Commerce in improving levels of foreign direct investment.
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) has been active in Moldova since 2000, providing humanitarian aid. The SDC gave support to the International Organization for Migration in 2001 to start a reintegration program for the victims of trafficking in women. The Lausanne-based Terre des hommes has been active in Moldova since 2005, giving support and training to authorities in protecting children at risk of parental neglect, abuse, exploitation and trafficking. The Swiss Tropical Institute has provided assistance to Moldova since 2006 in improvements in perinatal treatment.
Switzerland is Moldova's 14th most important trading partner.
In July 2000, the president of the Swiss airline Crossair met with Moldovan President, Petru Lucinschi and expressed readiness to extend the partnership with the state-owned Air Moldova, and to take part in the privatization of the Air Moldova. The Moldovan government was also negotiating with Swiss-based Militzer & Münch about a concession to run the Moldovan National Railroad Company. Alain Benech of the Secretariat for Economy of the Switzerland Foreign Department stated in an interview that there were many opportunities for Swiss business in Moldova.
In December 2008, Moldovan entrepreneurs in Switzerland attended a forum organized by the newly-formed Switzerland-Moldova Chamber of Commerce, with guest speakers Pierre-François Unger, Minister of Economy and Health of the Canton of Geneva and Moldovan Minister of Finance Marian Durleshtyanu.
In June 2003 Swiss parliamentarian Ruth-Gaby Vermot-Mangold presented a report on organ trafficking to the Council of Europe, including evidence gathered in Moldova. This has prompted Swiss authorities to consider new legislation to prevent abuse of organ donations.
- ^ Moldovan Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration about relations with Switzerland
- ^ Switzerland Federal Department of Foreign Affairs about relations with Moldova
- ^ a b "Moldovan president satisfied with outcome of visit to Switzerland". Interfax news agency, Moscow. January 18, 1999. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=NewsLibrary&p_multi=BBAB&d_place=BBAB&p_theme=newslibrary2&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0F99F70AC0571B49&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10. Retrieved August 18, 2009.
- ^ a b "Switzerland will consider the agreement on facilitating the visa regime for Moldovan citizens" (in Russian). MOLDOVA.RU. June 9, 2008. http://www.moldova.ru/index.php%3FtabName%3Darticles%26owner%3D42%26id%3D3609&ei=owiKSoXBJo7GMK6SrL8P. Retrieved August 18, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ a b "Moldova (Republic". Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation – SDC. http://www.sdc-health.ch/priority_countries/cis/moldova. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ a b "(Moldova – Switzerland) Violinist Patricia Kopatchinskaja supports Moldovan children". Terre des hommes Foundation Lausanne. Aug 4, 2008. http://tdh-childprotection.org/content/view/707/. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ RFE/RL, Inc. Research Institute (1992). RFE/RL research report, Volume 1, Issues 18–26. RFE/RL, Inc..
- ^ "Switzerland backs Moldova's European Integration efforts". Moldova.org. October 26, 2006. http://politicom.moldova.org/tag/switzerland-0-eng.html. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ "The new phase of Swiss-Moldovan relations" (in Russian). Nashagazeta (la Tribune de Genève). 03.12.2008. http://www.nashagazeta.ch/швейцария-и-мы/снг/новый-этап-швейцарско-молдавских-отношений. Retrieved August 18, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ a b c "Moldovan businessmen in Geneva" (in Russian). Nashagazeta (la Tribune de Genève). 04.12.2008. http://www.nashagazeta.ch/швейцария-и-мы/снг/молдавские-предприниматели-в-женеве. Retrieved August 18, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "EBRD and Swiss-American Micro-Enterprise Programme target Moldova's micro-business sector". European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. September 3, 1996. http://www.ebrd.com/new/pressrel/1996/58sep03.htm. Retrieved August 17, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "Moldova Foreign Direct Investment Strategy". OECD. http://www.oecd.org/document/16/0,3343,en_35424885_35425005_37696784_1_1_1_1,00.html. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ "External evaluation of the SDC-financed IOM reintegration program in the Republic of Moldova". Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation – SDC. http://www.sdc.admin.ch/en/Home/Activities/Evaluation/Completed_evaluations/SDC_s_program_in_Moldova. Retrieved August 17, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "Moldova – Swiss Perinatology Project, Phase II". Swiss Tropical Institute. http://www.sti.ch/services/swiss-centre-for-international-health/sexual-and-reproductive-health-and-hivaids/experience-portfolio/moldova.html. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ "The Swiss effect". Central Europe Review. July 10, 2000. http://pecina.cz/files/www.ce-review.org/00/27/moldovanews27.html. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ "MOLDOVA DOES HAVE AN ECONOMIC PROSPEROUS FUTURE". Welcome Moldova. http://www.welcome-moldova.com/articles/intervew_alain_benech.shtml. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ "Swiss reveal illegal organ trade". Swissinfo (Swiss Broadcasting Corporation). June 25, 2003. http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/Swiss_reveal_illegal_organ_trade.html?siteSect=104&sid=3979302&cKey=1056560541000&ty=st&rs=yes. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
Foreign relations of Moldova Foreign relations of Switzerland AfricaEgypt · Libya • South Africa AmericasArgentina · Canada · United States · Uruguay AsiaChina · Iran · Iraq · Israel · Pakistan · Sri Lanka Europe Missions
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Moldova–Russia relations — Moldova … Wikipedia
Moldova–Romania relations — Moldovan Romanian relations Moldova … Wikipedia
Moldova–Spain relations — Moldavian Spanish relations Moldova … Wikipedia
Moldova–Ukraine relations — Moldo Ukrainian relations Moldova … Wikipedia
Moldova–Slovenia relations — Moldovan Slovenian relations Map indicating locations of Moldova and Slovenia Moldova Slovenia … Wikipedia
Moldova–Sweden relations — Moldovan Swedish relations Map indicating locations of Moldova and Sweden Moldova Sweden … Wikipedia
Denmark–Switzerland relations — Denmark Switzerland relations Denmark … Wikipedia
Moldova — This article is about the modern state. For the principality, see Moldavia. For other uses, see Moldova (disambiguation). Republic of Moldova Republica Moldova … Wikipedia
Switzerland–European Union relations — Euro Swiss relations European Union … Wikipedia
Moldova–United States relations — Moldova – United States relations Moldova … Wikipedia