- Modern Science (band)
Modern Science Origin Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Genres Alternative rock
Years active 2007–present Labels MIMORTL Associated acts Mr.Kane
Website ,  Members Kane Churko (vocals)
Mike McHugh (bass)
Modern Science is an alternative pop band from Las Vegas, Nevada founded by Kane Churko & Mike McHugh with funk, electro, hiphop and R&B influences. Canadian songwriter/producer Kane Churko is the front man and lead singer for the band and primary writer and producer of all of Modern Science's music. Kane is the son of producer Kevin Churko who is also a frequent co-producer of the band's material.
Kevin Churko is also known to play drums on occasion for Modern Science at their rare live shows as well as on most of their recorded material. The band is known for their improvisational live shows that often include special guests from other entertainers that they work with.
In January 2010 while opening two nights at the Hard Rock cafe for Simon Collins the band announced that they would release one free song every month leading up to their second album and that it would feature a lot more hip hop elements as well as collaborators such as Del The Funky Homosapien and Reallionaire Jream. This follows in line with their history of releasing their self-titled debut album on their own independent record label MIMORTL Records for free online as well.
The pair put on a critically acclaimed performance at CMJ Music Marathon 2010 in October 2009 in New York City along with frequent live band members Charles Henry, Michael Spadoni, Nick Helbling & Kevin Churko.
Kane Churko and Mike McHugh are currently listed as celebrity judges for national Battle Of The Band's contest "A Fight For Fame".
- 1 Albums
- 2 Singles
- 3 Remixes
- 4 Music videos
- 5 References
Modern Science a.k.a. "The Free Album" (March 2009)
Following their two singles "Every Little Thing" and "Look Where You're Walking", Modern Science was released in 2009 on iTunes as well as for free on the band's website. Their track "Look Where You're Walking was nominated for Jack Richardson Producer Of The Year at the 2010 Canadian Juno Awards]] for Kevin Churko & Kane Churko's work on the album. "Look Where You're Walking" has also nominated in the Top40/Pop category for the 2009 International Songwriting Competition judged by Robbie Williams, Rob Thomas, Timbaland and more.
"Funky Xmas" (December 2009)
Modern Science recorded an original Christmas song called Funky Xmas. The song was available for a limited time as a free download, but the band has pulled it from their website as of June 2009.
"Shake Your Money Maker" (January 2009)
Modern Science released "Shake Your Money Maker" on iTunes in January 2009. It is the first cover recorded by Modern Science and was originally written by Elmore James. The song was commissioned by Coinstar for a contest that eventually was cancelled. The band decided to released the song anyway.
"Do It Right Now" featuring Del the Funky Homosapien (March 2010)
"Someday" (April 2010)
The band released their fourth single of 2010 "Someday" in April on their website. The song was written and produced by Kane Churko & Kevin Churko and was originally written as a possible UK single for the Jonas Brothers. The Jonas Brothers never used the song in the end so Modern Science recorded it for their album.
"Hippie & a Thug" featuring Nikka Bling (May 2010)
In April 2010 Modern Science collaborated with Nikka Bling for "Hippie & A Thug." The song was written with Nicholas Helbling and produced by Kane Churko.
"Tall Boy" by Har Mar Superstar featuring Kane (Modern Science remix)
In December 2009 Modern Science released a remix they did for Har Mar Superstar as part of a contest on Indabamusic. The band's remix made it to the top ten out of over 200 remixes.
"Love Is the Answer" by Weezer featuring Kane (Modern Science remix)
In March 2010 Mix94.1 FM in Las Vegas announced the release of the band's second remix.
"That Tree" by Snoop Dogg & Kid Cudi featuring Kane (Modern Science remix)
In April 2010, Kane Churko released the band's latest remix for Snoop Dogg on his personal website.
"Glory" by Noah Silver featuring Kane (Modern Science remix)
In May 2010 the band released a remix for independent artist Noah Silver.
- "Every Little Thing" directed by Brandon Christensen
- ^ "Music Is My Only Reason To Live | Artists". Mimortl.com. http://mimortl.com/artists. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ Leader, The (2007-05-31). "Churko is the man in demand". Canada.com. http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/columnists/story.html?id=f0f7322a-5877-43fe-8674-6c9b27151e8d. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "Music Is My Only Reason To Live | Front Page Of Moose Jaw Times Herald article about". Mimortl.com. http://mimortl.com/post/635678893/front-page-of-moose-jaw-times-herald-article-about. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ a b c d "Modern Science experiments with hip-hop". Las Vegas Weekly. http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2010/jan/18/modern-science-experiments-hip-hop/. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "Lab Partners: Modern Science prepares for CMJ fest". Las Vegas Weekly. http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2009/oct/21/modern-science/. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "Paying off: Modern Science doesn't squander pricey trip to CMJ". Las Vegas Weekly. http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2009/oct/28/paying-modern-science-doesnt-squander-pricey-trip-/. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "Afff Cities". Afightforfame.com. http://www.afightforfame.com/WebPages/cities.aspx?id=12. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "St. John's, NL: Arts & Entertainment | Newfoundland singer-songwriter makes Junos cut". The Telegram. http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=331017&sc=84. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "2010 Nominees / Winners « JUNO Awards". Junoawards.ca. http://junoawards.ca/nominees/#jackrichardsonProducer. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ Ultimate Songwriters Workshop. "International Songwriting Competition - Winners". Songwritingcompetition.com. http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/winners.htm. Retrieved 2010-06-08. [dead link]
- ^ 4:17. "Har Mar Superstar Remix Contest - "Tall Boy"". Indaba Music. http://www.indabamusic.com/featured_programs/show/tallboy. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ Dewey (2010-03-16). "Modern Science remixes Weezer! « Mix 94.1 Today’s Best Music Mix // Las Vegas – Homepage". Mix941fm.radio.com. http://mix941fm.radio.com/2010/03/16/modern-science-remixes-weezer/. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "Who The Funk Is Kane Churko?". Kanechurko.com. 2009-06-22. http://www.KaneChurko.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- ^ "Modern Science – Every Little Thing (Music Video) « Brandon Christensen". Brandon-christensen.com. 2010-04-16. http://brandon-christensen.com/modern-science-every-little-thing-music-video/. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Miracles of Modern Science — (or MOMS) is an American independent band originating in Princeton University in 2004. The band is composed of Evan Younger (double bass, lead vocals), Josh Hirshfeld (mandolin, vocals), Kieran Ledwidge (violin), Geoff McDonald (cello), and Tyler … Wikipedia
Science and Technology in the Ottoman Empire — covers the topics related to achievements and distinguished events that happened during the existence of the empire. The study of scientific, cultural and intellectual aspects of Ottoman history is a very new area. The culturalist approach that… … Wikipedia
Science of photography — refers to the use of science, such as chemistry and physics, in all aspects of photography. This applies to the camera, its lenses, physical operation of the camera, electronic camera internals, and the process of developing film in order to take … Wikipedia
Modern Art EP — EP by Chronic Future Released November 11, 2008 … Wikipedia
Modern Art Oxford — The gallery entrance on Pembroke Street, Oxford Established 1965 Location 30 Pembroke Street, Oxfor … Wikipedia
Modern Age of Comic Books — Watchmen (1986), one of the comics considered to signify the beginning of the Modern Age. Cover art by Dave Gibbons. Time span c.1985 present Related periods … Wikipedia
Modern Short Stories — Founded 2008 Founder Steve Soboslai, Chris Fafalios, Amanda Yu Genre Pop Punk Indie Rock … Wikipedia
Modern Jive — is a dance style derived from Swing, Lindy Hop, Rock and Roll, Salsa and others, the main innovation being to simplify the footwork by removing syncopation such as chasse. The term French Jive is occasionally used instead, reflecting the origins… … Wikipedia
Modern High School for Girls — is an all girl nursery, junior and senior school located in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. The Headmistress is Mrs Devi Kar. The school motto is Satyam Shivam Sundaram . Contents 1 History 2 Examinations 3 Curriculum … Wikipedia
Rush (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Rush Img capt = Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart of Rush 30th Anniversary tour photo, 2004 Img size = 250 Landscape = yes Background = group or band Years active = 1968–present Origin = Toronto, Ontario,… … Wikipedia