- Ministry of Emergency Situations
EMERCOM Ministerstvo po delam grazhdanskoy oborony, chrezvychainym situatsiyam i likvidatsii posledstviy stihiynyh bedstviy Министерство по делам гражданской обороны, чрезвычайным ситуациям и ликвидации последствий стихийных бедствий Flag of EMERCOM Agency overview Formed 10 January 1994 Jurisdiction Federal Government of the Russian Federation Headquarters Moscow Minister responsible Sergei Kuzhugetovich Shoigu, Minister of the Russian Federation
for the Affairs of Civil Defence, Emergency Situations and Disaster Relief
The Ministry of the Russian Federation for Affairs for Civil Defence, Emergencies and Elimination of Consequences of Natural Disasters (Russian: Министерство России по делам гражданской обороны, чрезвычайным ситуациям и ликвидации последствий стихийных бедствий), also known as The Ministry of Emergency Situations (Russian: Министерство по чрезвычайным ситуациям - МЧС России), or internationally as EMERCOM (derived from "Emergency Control Ministry"), was established on January 10, 1994 by President Boris Yeltsin. Some[who?] consider the real date of birth of the agency as December 27, 1990, when the Russian Rescue Corps was established and assigned the mission of rapid response in the case of emergencies.
According to an EMERCOM publication, the Ministry is an agency of Federal Executive Power with the following tasks:
- developing proposals and initiatives in the sphere of State policy on issues within the Ministry's competence;
- managing the Civil Defence and Search and Rescue Service in the Russian Federation;
- providing for the functioning and further development of the Russian System of Disaster Management (RSDM);
- directing activities aimed at eliminating the consequences of large-scale disasters, catastrophes and other emergencies;
- conducting special submarine activities;
- supervising the use of finance resources allocated to the Government for disaster management and response;
- organizing the training of the population, and governing agencies and the RSDM forces for disaster management and response;
- and organizing international cooperation in the fields of the Ministry's competency.
The Minister in charge of EMERCOM is Sergei Shoigu. He was appointed by President Yeltsin in November 1991 as Chairman of the State Committee of the Russian Federation for Civil Defence Matters, Extraordinary Situations and the Liquidation of Natural Disasters. Shoigu was given the rank of Major General in October 1994, and his committee became a ministry in January 1994. President Yeltsin showed his faith in the importance of EMERCOM by designating Minister Shoigu a member of the Russian Security Council by Presidential Decree on February 1, 1994.
- Department for the Protection of the Population and Territories
- Department for Disaster Prevention
- Department of Forces
- Department for International Cooperation
- Department for the Elimination of Consequences of Radiological and other Disasters
- Department for Science and Technology
- Management Department
Commissions and Boards
- Interagency Commission of the Russian Federation for Fighting Forest Fires
- Interagency Commission of the Russian Federation for Floods
- Interagency Maritime Coordinating Commission for Emergencies on the Seas and Water Basins
- Interagency Commission of the Russian Federation for the Certification of Rescuers
Working through the office of the Prime Minister, the Ministry can ask for private, Ministry of Defence or Internal Troops of the MVD assistance. That is, the Ministry has international coordination power and the ability to tap local resources if required.
The Department of International Cooperation, to present an example of the activities of one of these departments and commissions, has already signed agreements on cooperation during disaster response and prevention with Germany, Italy, France, Switzerland, Poland, Belarus, Georgia, and Kazakhstan. Mutual assistance pacts are ready for signing with Mongolia, Latvia, Finland, Armenia, Moldova, Serbia and Estonia. An agreement also exists with the U.N. High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), and agreements are sought with the OSCE and NATO.
- Regional Centres - EMERCOM centres are located in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, Samara, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk, Chita and Khabarovsk.
- Civil Defence and Emergency Headquarters - Many regions, provinces, autonomous administrative units, districts and towns possess these headquarters.
- Command and Control Center - These centers are located in Moscow, and in each region and oblast.
- Training and Education Facilities - These include a Civil Protection Academy, Training and Methodology centres, an All-Russia Scientific Research Institute, an All-Russian Monitoring and Laboratory Control Centre, and a Centre for Scientific Analysis of Civil Defence Issues.
To perform rapid response operations the following forces and equipment are available:
- Russian State Fire Service -
- Central Air-Mobile Rescue Team - These teams are equipped with aviation facilities that include helicopters and cargo aircraft (Ilyushin Il-76 and Antonov An-72). The teams have taken part in United Nations' humanitarian delivery operations.
- Civil Defense Troops - These troops consist of military troop divisions and regiments stationed in various regions of the country.
- Civil Defence Academy EMERCOM of Russia - famous organization of high-education ENERCOM of Russia;
- Search and Rescue Service - This service maintains 30 units in various republics, regions and provinces.
- Ramenskoye Airport, airbase, used by EMERCOM
- Awards of the Ministry for Emergency Situations of Russia
- EMERCOM of Russia, publication of the Ministry of Emergency Situations
- EMERCOM: RUSSIA'S EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM (1995), Mr. Timothy L. Thomas, Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Low Intensity Conflict and Law Enforcement, Vol 4, Autumn 1995, No 2
- EMERCOM's official website
- EMERCOM's official website (Russian)
- EMERCOM PDA site (Russian)
- EMERCOM WAP site (Russian)
Executive authorities of the Russian FederationOffices subordinated to the President of Russia Ministry of Internal AffairsPolice of the Russian Federation • Federal Migratory Service Ministry of Foreign AffairsAgency of CIS affairs Ministry of DefenceService of Military-Technical Cooperation · Service of Technical and Export Control · Service for Defence Contracts · Agency of Special Construction Ministry of JusticeService of Execution of Punishments · Service of Court Bailiffs Presidential Services
and DirectoratesForeign Inteligence Service · Federal Security Service · Service on the Control Over a Turnover of Narcotics · Federal Protective Service · State Special Courier Service · Chief Directorate of Special Programs of the President · Directorate of the PresidentOffices subordinated to Government of Russia
Service of Supervision in the Sphere of Protection of the Rights of Consumers and the Well-being of the Consumer · Service of Supervision in the Sphere of Public Health Services and Social Development · Service of Work and Employment · Medical and Biologic Agency Ministry of CultureFederal Archival Agency Ministry of Education
and ScienceService for Supervision in the Sphere of Education and Science · Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks · Agency of Education · Agency of Science and Innovation
Ministry of Natural Resources
and the EnvironmentService of Supervision in Sphere of Wildlife Management · Agency of Water Resources · Agency on the use of Mineral Resources · Service of Ecological, Technological and Nuclear Supervision
Ministry of Industry and Trade Agency of Communication · Agency on Information Technologies · Agency on Press and Mass Communications · Surveillance Service for Mass Communications, Communications and Cultural Heritage Protection Ministry of AgricultureService of Veterinary and Fytosanitory Supervision · Agency on Forestry Ministry of TransportFederal Service of Supervision in Sphere of Transport · Air Transport Agency · Road Agency · Agency of Railway Transportation · Agency of Sea and River Transport Ministry of FinanceFederal Tax Service · Service of Insurance Supervision · Service of Financial-Budgetary Supervision · Treasury Agency for State Reserves · Agency for State Property Management · State Statistics Governmental committees,
services and agenciesState committee on Fishery · Federal Antimonopoly Service · Service for Hydrometeorology and the Monitoring of the Environment · Federal Customs Service · Service on Tariffs · Federal Financial Monitoring Service · Financial Market Service · Federal Space Agency · Agency for Deliveries of Military and Special Equipment of Material Means · Agency on the Arrangement of the State Boundary
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ministry of Emergency Situations (Azerbaijan) — Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan Republic Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Respublikasının Fövqəladə Hallar Nazirliyi Logo of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan Republic … Wikipedia
Ministry of the Emergency Situations — Infobox Government agency agency name = EMERCOM nativename = Ministerstvo po delam grazhdanskoy oborony, chrezvychainym situatsiyam i likvidatsii posledstviy stihiynyh bedstviy nativename a = Министерство по делам гражданской обороны,… … Wikipedia
Romanian General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations — Infobox Police name= Romanian General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations local name= Inspectoratul General pentru Situaţii de Urgenţă country= Romania type= Fire fighting, Civil defense start= December 15, 2004 motto= Audacia et Devotio title … Wikipedia
Emergency management — Accident preparedness redirects here. For Safety related articles, see Safety. Disaster preparedness redirects here. For other articles related to disaster preparedness, see Category:Disaster preparedness. Emergency management is the generic name … Wikipedia
Ministry of Internal Affairs (Russia) — MVD redirects here. For other uses, see MVD (disambiguation). Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs Ministry of Internal Affairs Министерство внутренних дел Ministerstvo Vnutrennikh Del Abbreviation MVD … Wikipedia
Ministry of Administration and Interior (Romania) — Ministry of Administration and Interior Coat of arms of the Ministry of Administration and Interior First: Barbu Catargiu Formation: 22 January 1862 … Wikipedia
Ministry of Defense (Japan) — Ministry of Defense Japan Ministry of Defense Headquarters Agency overview Formed January 9, 2007 Preceding agency Japanese De … Wikipedia
Ministry of Emergencies (Ukraine) — Ministry of Emergencies of Ukraine Міністерство надзвичайних ситуацій України Ministerial insignia Agency overview Formed 19 … Wikipedia
Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (Azerbaijan) — Ministry of Communication and Information Technology Аzərbаycаn Rеspubliкаsının Rabitə və Informasiya Texnologiyaları Nаzirliyi Coat of Arms of Azerbaijan … Wikipedia
Ministry of Youth and Sports (Azerbaijan) — Ministry of Youth and Sports of Azerbaijan Republic Azərbaycan Respublikasının Gənclər və İdman Nazirliyi Coat of Arms of Azerbaijan A … Wikipedia