- Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors
The Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors is the legislative branch of the government of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States. Supervisors are elected to the board in nonpartisan elections. There are 19 supervisors. The county board has several committees and votes on issues involving the county, such as the budget.
- Theodore Lipscomb, District 1
- Nikiya Q. Harris, District 2 
- Gerry Broderick, District 3
- Marina Dimitrijevic, District 4
- Lee Holloway (Chairman), District 5
- Joseph Rice, District 6
- Michael Mayo, Sr., District 7
- Patricia Jursik, District 8
- Paul Cesarz, District 9
- Eyon Biddle, Sr., District 10
- Mark Borkowski, District 11
- Peggy West, District 12
- Willie Johnson, District 13
- Jason Haas, District 14
- Lynne De Bruin, District 15
- John F. Weishan, District 16
- Joe Sanfelippo, District 17
- Johnny L. Thomas, District 18
- Jim "Luigi" Schmitt, District 19
As of 1960, membership on the Board was considered more desirable than membership in the Wisconsin State Assembly, and incumbent legislators would often seek a position on the Board, resigning their legislative positions if they were victorious.
In 2000, the County Board approved a generous and controversial pension plan that was negotiated by County Executive Tom Ament. The passage of the plan has been called the biggest political scandal in Milwaukee County history. During 2002-2003, the county executive and seven county board members who voted for the pension deal were recalled from office. The controversy resulted in the down-sizing of the county board and led to a special election of Scott Walker as County Executive.
In 2009, a civil lawsuit was filed by Milwaukee County against Mercer Human Resource Consulting, Inc., a global financial-advice firm. The county is seeking more than $100 million in damages plus more in punitive damages. The full cost of benefits related to the scandal could reach $900 million.
- ^ a b "About the County Board". www.county.milwaukee.gov. Milwaukee County. http://www.county.milwaukee.gov/AbouttheCountyBoard7779.htm. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- ^ http://county.milwaukee.gov/Harris
- ^ Hagensick, A. Clarke. "Influences of Partisanship and Incumbency on a Nonpartisan Election System" The Western Political Quarterly Vol. 17, No. 1 (Mar., 1964), pp. 117-124
- ^ Tom Ament and Me
- ^ Bilstad, Erik. Ten Stories That Changed Our Lives: #6 Milwaukee Co. Pension Scandal WTMJ-AM December 15-16, 2009
- ^ Milwaukee County pension scandal trial primer
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Milwaukee County Board — The Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors is the legislative branch of the government of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States. All supervisors elected to the board are nonpartisan. There are currently 19 supervisors on the board.cite web|… … Wikipedia
Board of Supervisors — The Board of Supervisors is the body that supervises the operation of county government in all counties in Arizona, California, Iowa, Mississippi, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Sussex County, New Jersey as well as a handful of counties in New York.… … Wikipedia
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — Seal … Wikipedia
Milwaukee County Courthouse — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Milwaukee Community Sailing Center — The Milwaukee Community Sailing Center is a private, non profit 501(c)(3) agency. The Sailing Center provides educational and recreational sailing programs to those who wish to gain access to Lake Michigan and learn to sail; regardless of age,… … Wikipedia
Milwaukee — This article is about the city in Wisconsin. For other uses, see Milwaukee (disambiguation). Milwaukee City Top: Milwaukee Skyline, Center Left … Wikipedia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin — Infobox Settlement official name = Milwaukee settlement type = City nickname = Cream City , Brew City , Mil Town , The Mil , The City of Festivals , The Ill Mil, Deutsch Athen (German Athens) imagesize = image caption = Milwaukee seen from Lake… … Wikipedia
Parks of Milwaukee — This is a list of Parks of Milwaukee. Contents 1 List of parks in Milwaukee County park system 2 Other parks 3 See also 4 References … Wikipedia
San Diego County, California — County of San Diego County Seal … Wikipedia
Jefferson County, Wisconsin — Location in the state of Wisconsin … Wikipedia