- Millennium Foundation
Millennium Foundation Founded 2008 Location Geneva, Switzerland Area served Global Focus Health: HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis Method Innovative financing Website Official Website
The Millennium Foundation for Innovative Finance for Health is an independent, non-profit Swiss organization, established in November 2008 in order to create new ways to finance health systems in low- and middle-income countries. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the Millennium Foundation aims to ensure that international commitments on improving health care are met through the development of innovative financing projects. Its first such project – called MassiveGood – was launched on 4 March, and will give travelers the possibility to add a $2, £2 or €2 micro-contribution to the purchase of a travel reservation, with all proceeds going to the fight against HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis.
Mission and Activities
In 2000 the United Nations agreed to achieve eight international development goals by the year 2015, called the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Three of these goals are health related – to treat and fight life-threatening diseases, including HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis; to reduce childhood mortality; and to improve maternal health. Despite repeated commitments to the three health-related MDGs and increased funding available for development, HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis still have appalling human and economic consequences in developing countries. Official Development Assistance has been increasing in the past few years but cannot keep up with the damage done by the economic crisis on low- and middle-income countries. In order to bridge this financing gap, the international community has looked into new funding mechanisms. The Taskforce on Innovative International Funding for Health Systems issued in June 2009 a report acknowledging the potential of innovative sources of funding: Innovative Financing projects that have sprouted up in the past decade include Product Red, the International Finance Facility for Immunization,the Global Fund, the GAVI and UNITAID.UNITAID is funded by a small tax on airlines tickets levied in 12 countries and budgetary contributions from 17 countries. Since 2006, UNITAID has committed over US$ 730 million to support 16 projects in 93 countries.
MassiveGood, the Millennium Foundation’s first innovative finance project, was unveiled at the United Nations General Assembly on 23 September 2009 during a meeting of the Task Force for Innovative Finance for Health, spearheaded by UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown and World Bank President Robert Zoellick. According to the Millennium Foundation, MassiveGood will let travelers make an optional $2, £2 or €2 “micro-contribution” towards the fight against HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria every time they purchase a travel product. All funds will go to UNITAID, which has a wide range of partners in developing countries including the Clinton Foundation, UNICEF, the World Health Organization, UNAIDS, the Global Fund, the Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Partnership, Stop TB Partnership and the Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics. MassiveGood was launched on 4 March 2010 in the USA, and will be followed later on in the year by the UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Spain. MassiveGood will be available at both travel agencies and online ticketing websites.
The Millennium Foundation is a public-private initiative governed by a Board composed of representatives of participating Governments, such as the United Kingdom, France, Norway, Brazil, Chile, the Republic of Korea and a representative of the African Union; representatives of NGOs working on malaria, tuberculosis or HIV/AIDS and of communities living with diseases; and representatives of the Gates Foundation and of the private sector. The UN World Health Organization serves on the board as an observer. The Board of the Millennium Foundation is chaired by Dr. Philippe Douste-Blazy, who currently serves as Special Adviser on Innovative Financing for Development to the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon, and also acts as Chairman of the Board of UNITAID. Mr. Henk Mulder is the Managing Director and leads the strategic vision for the Foundation.
- Clinton Foundation
- Stop TB Partnership
- Global Fund
- Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Partnership
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics
Notes and references
- ^ Strom, Stephanie (22 September 2009). "Fee on Airline Tickets Will Help Fight Life-Threatening Diseases". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/world/23surcharge.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=unitaid&st=cse. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals
- ^ http://data.unaids.org:80/pub/Report/2009/JC1700_Epi_Update_2009_en.pdf
- ^ "WHO | World Malaria Report 2009". Who.int. 15 December 2009. http://www.who.int/malaria/world_malaria_report_2009/en/index.html. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ "One third of world's population has tuberculosis bacterium". Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/6941077/One-third-of-worlds-population-has-tuberculosis-bacterium.html. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ "Development aid at its highest level ever in 2008". Oecd.org. http://www.oecd.org/document/35/0,3343,en_2649_34447_42458595_1_1_1_1,00.html. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ http://www.internationalhealthpartnership.net/pdf/IHP%20Update%2013/Taskforce/Johansbourg/Final%20Taskforce%20Report.pdf
- ^ "Tweet @ Whitehouse". JoinRed. http://www.joinred.com. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ "International Finance Facility for Immunisation". Iff-immunisation.org. http://www.iff-immunisation.org. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ http://www.theglobalfund.org/en
- ^ "GAVI Alliance". GAVI Alliance. http://www.gavialliance.org. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ "Unitaid". Unitaid.eu. http://www.unitaid.eu. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ Gumbel, Peter (18 September 2009). "New Airline-Ticket Tax to Aid the Developing World". TIME. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1924470,00.html. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ "Innovative finance for health". Millennium Foundation. 25 November 2008. http://www.millennium-foundation.org/article/governance/the-millennium-foundation-governance. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- ^ Douste, Philippe (1 January 2010). "A Few Dollars at a Time". Foreign Affairs. http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/65898/philippe-douste-blazy-and-daniel-altman/a-few-dollars-at-a-time. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Millennium Challenge Corporation — Agency overview Formed January 2004 Headquarters Washington, D.C. Employees 300 (2011) Agency executive Daniel Yohannes, Chief Executive Officer Website … Wikipedia
Millennium Promise — Millennium Promise, or The Millennium Promise Alliance, Inc., is a non profit organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Delaware, dedicated to ending extreme poverty within our lifetime. Its flagship initiative is the Millennium… … Wikipedia
Millennium: Journal of International Studies — Abb … Wikipedia
Millennium Wrestling Federation — Acronym MWF Founded 2001 Style American Wrestling … Wikipedia
Millennium (Disc Golf) — Millennium Golf Discs was founded in 1995 by John Houck and Harold Duvall to produce discs for disc golf. In 2008, Millennium became a subsidiary of Circular Productions, LLC under the leadership of the original co founder John Houck. The company … Wikipedia
Millennium Park — For other uses, see Millennium Park (disambiguation). Millennium Park Millennium Park as seen from the north in 2005 … Wikipedia
Millennium Challenge Account — The Millennium Challenge Account (MCA), run by the Millennium Challenge Corporation, is a bilateral development fund announced by the Bush administration in 2002 and created in January, 2004. OriginAt the Inter American Development Bank on March… … Wikipedia
Millennium Technology Prize — This article is about the technology prize. For the math prizes, see Millennium Prize Problems. The Millennium Technology Prize Awarded for Life enhancing technological innovation Presente … Wikipedia
Millennium Research Program — The Millennium Research Program of the Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation was launched in 2001 to assist the Foundation in carrying out its mandate to improve access to post secondary education in Canada and provide students with the… … Wikipedia
Millennium Campus Network — The Millennium Campus Network (MCN) is an organization of university student groups committed to supporting the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to eradicate extreme poverty. The MCN brings together student organizations at leading… … Wikipedia