A gatefold is a type of fold used for advertising around a magazine or section, and for packaging of media such as vinyl records.

LP covers

A gatefold cover or gatefold LP is a form of packaging for LP records which became popular in the mid-1960s. A gatefold cover, when folded, is the same size as a standard LP cover (i.e., a 12 inch, or 30 centimetre, square). The technique has been used for many notable LPs, in particular The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", Miles Davis's "Bitches Brew," and Small Faces' Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake. The larger gatefold cover provided a means of including artwork, liner notes, and/or song lyrics that would otherwise not have fit on a standard record cover. Gatefold sleeves were also used when an album contained more than one record (for example, a double album would include one record in each half of the cover).

Gatefold packaging was invented, and first used, by band leader and studio recording pioneer Enoch Light, so he could fit prose he had written describing the sounds in each song on the album sleeve.

In other publishing

Gatefold ads and highlights are often used as extensions of the covers of publications, folded either outside to overlap the cover or inside to unfold when the cover is opened. Similar folds include the split gatefold and the spadea.

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • gatefold — gate‧fold [ˈgeɪtfəʊld ǁ foʊld] adjective [only before a noun] a gatefold page in a book or magazine is bigger than the other pages, with the edges folded to the middle so that it can be opened out. Gatefold pages are used for large pictures,… …   Financial and business terms

  • gatefold — ► NOUN ▪ an oversized page in a book or magazine folded to the same size as the other pages but intended to be opened out for reading …   English terms dictionary

  • gatefold — ☆ gatefold [gāt′fōld΄ ] n. a page larger than the others in a magazine or book, bound so it can be unfolded and opened out like a gate …   English World dictionary

  • Gatefold — Gate|fold 〈[gɛıtfoʊld] n. 15〉 größerformatige Seite in Zeitschriften u. Büchern (z. B. Poster, Schaubild), die auf das eigtl. Buchformat zurechtgefaltet wird [<engl. gate... „Klapp...“ + fold „Faltung, Faltblatt“] * * * Gate|fold [ geɪtfoʊld] …   Universal-Lexikon

  • gatefold — noun Gatefold is used before these nouns: ↑sleeve …   Collocations dictionary

  • gatefold — noun Date: 1946 foldout; especially one with a single fold that opens out like a gate …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • gatefold — /gayt fohld /, n. Print. foldout (def. 1). [1960 65; GATE1 + FOLD1] * * * …   Universalium

  • gatefold — noun An overlarge page that is folded into a book or magazine; a foldout …   Wiktionary

  • Gatefold — Gate|fold 〈[gɛıtfoʊld] n.; Gen.: s, Pl.: s〉 großformatige Seite in Zeitschriften u. Büchern (z. B. Poster, Schaubild usw.), die auf das eigtl. Buchformat zurechtgefaltet wird [Etym.: <engl. gate… »Klapp…« + fold »Faltung, Faltblatt«] …   Lexikalische Deutsches Wörterbuch

  • Gatefold — Gate|fold [...fould] das; s, s <aus gleichbed. engl. gate fold zu gate »Klappe, beweglicher Rahmen« u. fold »Faltung, Falz«> Seite in einem Buch, einer Zeitschrift o. Ä., die größer ist als die anderen u. daher in die passende Form gefaltet …   Das große Fremdwörterbuch

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.