- Michael Forever
Michael Forever - The Tribute Concert Location(s) Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom Years active 2011 Founded by Katherine Jackson Date(s) Saturday, October 8th 2011 Genre Pop music
The concert was dedicated to American entertainer Michael Jackson, who died on June 25th 2009 after suffering a cardiac arrest, and celebrated the 40th anniversary of his solo career. The concert helped to raise awareness and funds for Aids Project Los Angeles and The Prince's Trust.
The event was already in "advanced stages" in April 2011, when it was presented to the majority of the Jackson family. Katherine Jackson said "Michael gave his entire life to the world through his love, his music and his devotion to healing the planet. I am positive that this event will be an event great enough in scale, talent and imagination to form a worthy celebration of Michael's life."
Production and broadcasters
Tickets were priced from £55. Standard seats cost £87, with a restricted view at £55. Standard middle and upper-tier tickets cost £175 and £137 respectively and the more restricted standing tickets were sold at £97. The best seats in the middle tier were priced at £240 each, while the best standing tickets cost £195. Student Tickets were also available from £25 from Total Students 
The event was organized by Global Live Events and had the support of Jackson's mother Katherine Jackson, and his siblings LaToya Jackson, Tito Jackson, Marlon Jackson and Jackie Jackson, but not that of Jackson's brothers Randy and Jermaine Jackson, sister Janet Jackson, several relatives, the official Michael Jackson Fan Club and even the singer's executors as they claimed the concert would distract from the involuntary manslaughter trial of Dr Conrad Murray, Jackson's former doctor. Randy and Jermaine Jackson issued the following statement in opposition to the event:
While we wholeheartedly support the spirit of a tribute that honours our brother, we find it impossible to support an event that is due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael's death. As everyone knows, those proceedings commence September 20th, and this Michael Forever concert takes place in Cardiff, Wales, on 8 October. In light of this, we feel it is inappropriate to be involved with such an ill-timed event and its promoter, Global Live. Furthermore, the decision to proceed with this concert disrespects opinions and wishes expressed in the strongest terms to Global Live during conversations in April when this event was presented to the majority of the family as an idea already in its advanced stages. There will come a time and place for an amazing and deserving tribute to Michael. But we feel that the most important tribute we can give to our brother at this time is to seek justice in his name.
- Randy Jackson and Jermaine Jackson
The Michael Jackson Fan Club agreed with the two brothers, issuing a similar statement:
"We share their concerns that this concert is taking place at a most inappropriate time when everyone's care and attention should be focused on the matter of justice. We believe that, as stated by Jermaine and Randy, the most important tribute we can give to Michael Jackson at this time is to seek justice in his name."
Musical acts who participated in the event included the Jackson Brothers, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Alexandra Burke, Yolanda Adams, 3T, Alien Ant Farm, Cee Lo Green, Pixie Lott, Diversity, Craig David, JLS, Ne-Yo, Jamie Foxx, Gladys Knight, LaToya Jackson, Leona Lewis and Smokey Robinson.
In the days running up to the event three of the acts originally booked to perform pulled out. These included The Black Eyed Peas, due to "unforeseeable circumstances", which led to speculation in the media that the band were splitting up. Chris Brown failed to enter the country for the event, as his working visa was denied over the assault of former girlfriend and pop singer Rihanna. And, Jennifer Hudson also failed to participate citing "production issues" as the fault.
- ^ a b c d e f g Michaels, Sean (12 August 2011). "Michael Jackson tribute concert lineup revealed". London: Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/aug/12/michael-jackson-tribute-concert-lineup. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- ^ a b c "Christina Aguilera to play Jackson concert". BBC News. 12 August 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14502151. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- ^ a b "Leadership". Global Live Events. http://www.globalliveeventsuk.com/category/leadership. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- ^ Quinn, Ben (26 July 2011). "Family divided over plans for Michael Jackson tribute concert in Wales". London: guardian.co.uk. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/26/michael-jackson-tribute-concert-wales. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- ^ a b "Line-up for Cardiff's Michael Jackson tribute concert revealed at last". CardiffOnline. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2011/08/12/line-up-for-cardiff-s-michael-jackson-tribute-concert-revealed-at-last-91466-29222230/#ixzz1VBpZndfH. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- ^ "Student Tickets for Michael Jackson tribute concert". Total Students. http://www.totalstudents.co.uk/event.php?eid=54011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- ^ "Michael Jackson Cardiff show: Brothers criticise timing". BBC. 26 July 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-14287845. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- ^ "Statement From MJFC". MJFC. http://mjfanclub.net/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4721:statement-from-mjfc&catid=85:latest-news&Itemid=82. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- Official website
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Twitter Page
- Video of Concert Announcement from BBC News
- Link for £25 Student Tickets
Michael Jackson Studio albums Soundtracks
The Wiz: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack · E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial · Michael Jackson's This Is It · Immortal
Remix albums Compilations
A Collection of Michael Jackson's Oldies · The Best of Michael Jackson · One Day in Your Life · Anthology · The Original Soul of Michael Jackson · Greatest Hits: HIStory, Volume I · Michael Jackson: Love Songs · Number Ones · The Ultimate Collection · The Essential Michael Jackson · Visionary: The Video Singles · King of Pop · The Collection · The Definitive Collection · Hello World: The Motown Solo Collection
Other releases Concert tours Filmography Video releases Television Games Bibliography Specials Assets Influence on society RelatedWorksMisc.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Michael Jackson memorial service — Held at the Staples Center, where Michael Jackson rehearsed on June 24 (the day before he died). Participants Rev. Lucious Smith, Smokey Robinson, Mariah Carey … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson's Ghosts — Directed by Stan Winston Produced by Michael Jackson Stan Winston David Nicksay Written by … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Special — New York City Revue concert by Michael Jackson Promotional poster for Jackson s New York show Venue Madison Square Garden Ne … Wikipedia
Michael (album) — Michael CD jacket cover, based on a mural by Kadir Nelson Compilation album by Michael Jackson … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson's This Is It (album) — Michael Jackson s This Is It Soundtrack album by Michael Jackson Released October 26, 2009 (2009 10 26) … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson: The Experience — European cover art Developer(s) Ubisoft Montreal (Xbox 360) Ubisoft Montpellier / Ubisoft Paris (PS3) Ubisoft São Paulo (DS/PSP) Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson's health and appearance — Michael Jackson in the White House s Diplomatic Reception Room in May 1984. Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was an American musician and entertainer who spent over forty years in the public eye, first as a child star with The… … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson's Vision — Video / Box set by Michael Jackson Released … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour — Company Cirque du Soleil Genre Contemporary circus … Wikipedia
Michael Jackson — For other people named Michael Jackson, see Michael Jackson (disambiguation). Michael Jackson … Wikipedia