- Michael Casey (poet)
His first collection, Obscenities, was chosen by Stanley Kunitz for the Yale Series of Younger Poets. Other collections include Millrat (Adastra Press), The Million Dollar Hole (Orchises Press), Raiding a Whorehouse (Adastra), Permanent Party (March Street Press), Cindi's Fur Coat (The Chuckwagon), and The Bopper (Kendra Steiner Editions).
Casey received a B.S. in Physics from Lowell Technological Institute where he took a class with the poet and critic William Aiken.
After military service, Casey began an MS in physics at SUNY Buffalo. With the publication of Obscenities, however, he changed course and pursued creative writing, studying under poets John Logan and Irving Feldman. His master's thesis was an early version of Millrat; his advisor for the project was the poet William Sylvester.
After graduating college in 1968, Casey was drafted into the U.S. Army. His stay at Fort Leonardwood, Missouri provided the material and setting for the later book, The Million Dollar Hole; his work as military police officer in Vietnam's Quang Ngai province is rendered in his debut collection, Obscenities.
Casey kept a few books with him while in the military: Alan Dugan's Poems, J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories, and a text on thermodynamics. While in Vietnam, Casey studied Vietnamese. He discovered, in a book package delivered for the troops, Donald Allen's New American Poetry anthology, and was drawn to the early work of poet Edward Field.
His writing has appeared in The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, and Rolling Stone, as well as in many literary journals and anthologies.
- The Company Pool, Frigatezine, Issue #2, 2001
- A Bummer, April 29, 2003
- Bagley's Sign, The Minnesota Review, ns 65-66
- subscribe, subscribe, The Minnesota Review, ns 65-66
- Obscenities, Yale University Press, April 27, 1972, ISBN 9780300015485
- Millrat, Adastra Press, 1999, ISBN 9780938566816
- The Million Dollar Hole. Orchises Press. 2001. ISBN 9780914061861. http://books.google.com/books?id=19mSVwwMnZYC&pg=PP1&dq=Michael+Casey+poet&lr=.
- Working Words: Punching the Clock and Kicking Out the Jams
- William Daniel Ehrhart, ed (1989). Unaccustomed mercy. Texas Tech University Press. ISBN 9780896721890. http://books.google.com/books?id=q-Uxaj1lvD0C&pg=PA45&dq=Michael+Casey+poet#PPA45,M1.
- Survey of contemporary literature, Frank N. Magill, Salem Press, 1977, ISBN 9780893560508
- The book of Irish American poetry: from the eighteenth century to the present, Daniel Tobin, University of Notre Dame Press, 2007, ISBN 9780268042301
- PETER M. SHANE, Review of Obscenities, The Harvard Crimson, (1972)
- Stephen Spender, Poetry of the Unspeakable, The New York Review of Books, Volume 20, Number 1, February 8, 1973
- W. D. Ehrhart, Soldier-Poets of the Vietnam War, Virginia Quarterly Review, Spring 1987, pp.246-265
- Justine Kenna, Writing Vietnam, Student Review, 1999
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Michael Casey — may refer to: Michael Casey (poet) (born 1947), American poet Michael Casey (academic), professor of music at Dartmouth College Michael Iceman Casey Michael Casey (Sons of Anarchy), fictional character See also Mike Casey (disambiguation) This… … Wikipedia
Michael Higgins (actor) — Michael Higgins Born Michael Patrick Higgins Jr. January 20, 1920 Brooklyn, New York Died November 5, 2008 (aged 88) New York City, New York Years active 1949–2008 Spouse Elizabeth Lee Goodwin (1946 2008) (his death) 3 children … Wikipedia
James Simmons (poet) — James Simmons (1933 2001) was a poet, literary critic and songwriter from Northern Ireland.BiographyHe was born into a middle class Protestant family in Derry in 1933 and attended Campbell College in Belfast before moving to the University of… … Wikipedia
The Poet — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différentes œuvres portant le même titre. Cinéma et télévision The Poet (Gu cheng bielian) est un film hongkongais réalisé par Casey Chan en 1998. The Poet est le titre original du film britannico… … Wikipédia en Français
List of Armenian Americans — This is a list of notable Armenian Americans.Armenian Americans are people who are born, raised or live in the United States who are of Armenian origin. There has been sporadic emigration from Armenia to the US since the late 19th century, with… … Wikipedia
Andover, Massachusetts — Infobox Settlement official name = Andover, Massachusetts nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250px map caption = Location in Essex County in Massachusetts mapsize1 = map caption1 = subdivision type = Country… … Wikipedia
Lowell, Massachusetts — Infobox Settlement official name = City of Lowell nickname = Mill City, Spindle City motto = Art is the Handmaid of Human Good imagesize = 250px image caption = Lowell on the Merrimack river with Cox Bridge image mapsize = 250px map caption =… … Wikipedia
University of Massachusetts Lowell — Infobox University name = University of Massachusetts Lowell image size = 91px established = 1894 Lowell Normal School 1895 Lowell Textile School 1955 Lowell Technological Institute 1975 University of Lowell (merger) 1991 UMass Lowell (renaming)… … Wikipedia
List of Irish people — This is a list of famous Irish people.It covers * People who were born on the island of Ireland and/or who have lived there for most of their lives. * People who, though not necessarily ever having been born or lived in Ireland, have been raised… … Wikipedia
List of Armenians — The following are prominent people of Armenian descent.Actors*Adrienne Barbeaundash (born 1945) actress *Akim Tamiroffndash (1899 1972) actor *Andrea Martinndash (born 1945) actress *Andy Serkisndash (born 1964) actor *Aracy Balabanian [http://pt … Wikipedia