- Michael C. Appleby
Michael Appleby is an animal welfare scientist, especially for farm animals. He works for the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA). He obtained a BSc in Zoology at the University of Bristol and a PhD in Animal Behaviour at the University of Cambridge. He then spent 20 years at the Poultry Research Centre in Scotland and the University of Edinburgh researching behaviour, husbandry, and welfare of farm animals.
His early work on stocking densities in poultry and the tethering of pregnant sows contributed to the body of evidence that led, eventually, to major changes in animal welfare and the way these animals are kept. Appleby helped design the Edinburgh Modified Cage, which is an enlarged battery cage for hens.
- Senior Lecturer in Applied Animal Behavior, University of Edinburgh
- Vice President, head of Farm Animals and Sustainable Agriculture, Humane Society of the United States 2001–2005
- Chief Scientific Advisor and Welfare Policy Adviser for WSPA
- Visiting Professor in Animal Welfare, Scottish Agricultural College
- Member of the Farm Animal Welfare Council
- Member of the Scientific Committee of Humane Farm Animal Care
- Member of the Animal Compassionate Committee of Whole Foods Market in the US
- Appleby, Michael C. (1991) Applied animal behaviour: past, present, and future Universities Federation for Animal Welfare. ISBN 090076774X. Retrieved 12 February 2011
- Appleby, Michael C., Barry O. Hughes, H. Arnold Elson (1992) Poultry Production Systems: Behaviour, Management and Welfare CAB International. ISBN 0851987974. Retrieved 3 May 2009
- Appleby, Michael C. (1992). What Should We Do about Animal Welfare? Blackwell Science. ISBN 0632050667. Retrieved 3 May 2009
- Michael Appleby was awarded the Universities Federation of Animal Welfare (UFAW) Hulme Fellowship to write this book
- Appleby, Michael, Alistair B. Lawrence, Barry O. Hughes (1996) Behaviour and Welfare of Extensively Farmed Animals Elsevier Science. Retrieved 3 May 2009
- Appleby, Michael C., Barry O. Hughes (1997). Animal Welfare CAB Iinternational. ISBN 0851991807. Retrieved 3 May 2009
- Appleby, Michael C., Joy A. Mench, Barry O. Hughes (2004). Poultry Behaviour and Welfare CAB International. ISBN 0851996671. Retrieved 3 May 2009
- Appleby, Michael C., V. Cussen, L. Lambert, J. Turner (2008) Long Distance Transport and Welfare of Farm Animals CAB International. ISBN 1845934032. Retrieved 3 May 2009
- ^ Animal Welfare – A Key Role In The Future Of The World Accessed 3 May 2009
- ^ Appleby, M.C. (1998). "The Edinburgh Modified Cage: Effects of group size and space allowance on brown laying hens". The Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 152–161. Accessed  3 May 2009
This article about a British zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.