Meyrick Park Halt railway station


Meyrick Park Halt railway station
Meyrick Park Halt
Meyrick Park Halt.jpg
Station site is to the left of the bridge
Location
Place Bournemouth
Area Bournemouth, Dorset
Grid reference SZ086925
Operations
Pre-grouping London and South Western Railway
Platforms 2
History
1 March 1906 Opened
1 November 1917 Closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Portal icon UK Railways portal

Meyrick Park Halt was a railway station just west of Bournemouth railway station in the county of Hampshire (now Dorset) in England. Located on what is now the South Western Main Line, it was opened by the L.S.W.R. on 1 March 1906. The 'Halt' was a minor stop on the line, intended to serve a rapidly developing suburban district of Bournemouth including Winton and Talbot Woods, it also provided access to Meyrick Park, an area of open space, where an extensive golf course was newly laid out. There was no station building, but there were wooden platforms. The Halt was not much used, as access to the platforms was up a steep embankment and it closed on 1 November 1917 as a First World War austerity measure and has never re-opened.[1]

Today the former site of the halt is shown by the width of the embankment just to the east of the line's bridge over Meyrick Park Central Drive. This can be seen from westbound trains leaving Bournemouth just after they pass though Cemetery Junction tunnel.

Further reading

  • R.V.J.Butt, (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Patrick Stephens Ltd.  ISBN 1 85260 508 1

References

  1. ^ 'Meyrick Park Halt' by John Barker, Bournemouth Local Studies Publications

External links

Coordinates: 50°43′55″N 1°52′46″W / 50.73205°N 1.87951°W / 50.73205; -1.87951


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries: