- Metal Fatigue (video game)
Cover art of Metal Fatigue
Developer(s) Zono Inc. Publisher(s) Psygnosis (Europe)
TalonSoft (United States)
Designer(s) Jason Hough Platform(s) Microsoft Windows Release date(s) Genre(s) Real-time strategy Mode(s) Single player, multiplayer Rating(s) Media/distribution CD (2) System requirements
Metal Fatigue (also known as Metal Conflict), is a futuristic science fiction, real-time strategy computer game developed by Zono Incorporated and published by Psygnosis (in Europe) and TalonSoft (a Take2 company in the United States).
During the 23rd century man has discovered faster-than-light travel and finally reached the stars. Galactic exploration has confirmed man's worst two fears. First, an alien warlike race with vastly superior technology does exist. The exploration fleet reported sentient structures which appear to have been annihilated eons ago, scattered all over the galaxy. The reports suggested that a single race dubbed "Hedoth" has systematically swept through galaxy and pulverized every sentient civilization.
Incidentally, the exploration consisted of vessels from three large Earth corporations or, as they are called in the game, CorpoNations (Rimtech, Mil-Agro, and Neuropa). It began as an industrial alliance, and the opportunity to plunder alien technology spurred them onwards towards the Hedoth homeworld. As survey ships finally reached the Hedoth sector, the three CorpoNations massed their war fleets nearby. They were prepared for the ultimate conflict, only to discover that man's second worst fear was realized - the humanity is all alone in the universe. The Hedoth homeworlds were vacant..
The Hedoth left no clue of where they went, but their departure was remarkably tidy. Scattered installations and miscellaneous war machines were all they left behind.
The discovery set off a frenzied "gold rush" amongst the three CorpoNations, a rush for technology and power it brings.
The game is fully 3D, mapped by an invisible grid; vehicles tilt to meet hilly terrain, and projectiles can be realistically blocked by obstructions. The camera is free-moving and can zoom in and out, rotate, and pan up or down while navigating the battlefield.
In the game, the usual RTS elements such as base building and resource gathering are followed, but Metal Fatigue differs from the other titles by offering players to do battle with giant high-tech Mech-style juggernauts called Combots.
Combots can be customized by four main combot parts: a torso; a single pair of legs; and two separate pieces of arm (excluding the combot pilots). The game also allows players to salvage destroyed enemy Combots and their various parts.
In-game, units are unable to raise in rank through experience. However, after a completion of a single player mission, the player is given points, that could be used to upgrade combot pilots, vehicles or structures.
The game also places an emphasis on multi-level warfare. The battlefield is divided into three layers of combat, an orbital level, a surface level and an underground level.
- ^ a b "IGN: Metal Fatigue". pc.ign.com. http://pc.ign.com/objects/010/010250.html. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- ^ "Metal Conflict PC : code, demo". www.jeuxvideopc.com. http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/jeux/1080-metal-conflict.php. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- ^ a b c Stewart, Nick. "Metal Fatigue". www.avault.com. http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/metal-fatigue/. Retrieved 2009-02-13. [dead link]
- ^ Parker, Sam. "Metal Fatigue Details - PC News at GameSpot". www.gamespot.com. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/metalfatigue/news.html?sid=2592951&mode=news. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- ^ Parker, Sam. "Big Week for TalonSoft - PC News at GameSpot". www.gamespot.com. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/metalfatigue/news.html?sid=2609943&mode=news. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- ^ Steward, Nick. "Metal Fatigue". www.avault.com. http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/metal-fatigue/3/. Retrieved 2009-02-13. "the AI will occasionally cause bots and other units to fire at a perceived enemy, regardless of the cost or intervening obstacles. This means that you’ll often see turrets and bots firing into mountain walls or friendly structures in an attempt to reach a foe on the other side" [dead link]
- ^ a b Suciu, Peter. "Review : Metal Fatigue [PC - from GamePro.com"]. www.gamepro.com. http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/6297/metal-fatigue/. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- ^ "IGN: Metal Fatigue review". pc.ign.com. http://pc.ign.com/articles/160/160250p1.html. Retrieved 2009-02-13. ""You'll have to select and construct a torso, a single pair of legs and two separate arm pieces to fashion a complete combot. ""
- ^ Steward, Nick. "Metal Fatigue". www.avault.com. http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/metal-fatigue/2/. Retrieved 2009-02-13. "Metal Fatigue allocates bonus points..." "...these bonus points prove to be extremely useful in the following mission’s Upgrade Skills phase. During this stage, you can improve structures, vehicles, and surviving Combot crews by upgrading their level for a certain point cost." [dead link]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Metal Fatigue — is the progressive and localized structural damage that occurs when a material is subjected to cyclic loadings. Metal Fatigue may refer to: Metal Fatigue (album), a 1985 album by Allan Holdsworth. Metal Fatigue (novel), a 1996 science fiction… … Wikipedia
Fatigue (material) — Metal fatigue redirects here. For the video game, see Metal Fatigue (disambiguation). v · d · e Materials failure modes … Wikipedia
List of best-selling video games — This is a list of video games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies, including the top ten best selling franchises. ConsolesAtariAtari 2600Atari 2600 games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies. * Pac Man (7… … Wikipedia
Chronology of real-time strategy video games — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Mark Baldwin (game designer) — Mark Lewis Baldwin is a computer game designer, most noted for his work on The Perfect General and Empire Deluxe. He has three games on Computer Gaming World list of the best games of all time. He has formerly been involved with the management of … Wikipedia
Guitar Hero — For the first game in the series, see Guitar Hero (video game). For other uses, see Guitar Hero (disambiguation). Guitar Hero Genres Rhythm game … Wikipedia
Список компьютерных игр:M — Компьютерные игры # | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | … Википедия
Spider-Man's powers and equipment — The fateful spider bite that gave Peter Parker his powers. Amazing Fantasy #15, art by Steve Ditko. Spider Man s powers, abilities, and equipment are used by Marvel Comics superhero Spider Man in tandem to combat his many foes. He receives most… … Wikipedia
Liste De Jeux Sous Windows De M À R — Listes de jeux vidéo 0 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T … Wikipédia en Français
Liste de jeux sous Windows de M a R — Liste de jeux sous Windows de M à R Listes de jeux vidéo 0 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T … Wikipédia en Français