- Message queuing service
A message queueing service is a message-oriented middleware or MOM deployed in a compute cloud using software as a service model. Service subscribers access queues and or topics to exchange data using point-to-point or publish and subscribe patterns.
A message queueing service aims to eliminate the traditional overhead associated with operating in-house messaging infrastructures. These operating overheads include:
- Unused capacity installed to meet peak demands
- Human resources that are necessary to maintain messaging infrastructure
- Projects idle time waiting for resource provisioning
- Need to isolate messaging resources
Besides reducing cost, a message queueing service seeks to simplify access to messaging resources and therefore facilitate integration efforts within organizations and between them.
A message queueing service also creates new value by providing reduced costs, enhanced performance and reliability. In order to provide those benefits, a message queueing service leverages cloud computing resources such as storage, network, memory and processing capacity. By using virtually unlimited cloud computing resources, a message queueing service provides an internet scale messaging platform.
- Patient gets admitted into a hospital out of her provider's network. Producer hospital can start sending real time events about the treatment of the patient to her physician's hospital using a message queueing service platform. The cost of integration between hospitals is marginal since they do not need to configure messaging protocols, VPNs and other details.
- Information processing organization that processes events from thousands of different sources, can ask its information providers to simply place messages onto queue services and reduce integration costs.
- A Call Centre can carry on servicing requests for bills to be present when the billing system is unavailable
- Embedded telemetry devices in vehicles can securely communicate with an application that number crunches statistics in near-real time; Round-Robin messaging lets the vehicle supplier add computing resources as his sales increase.
- Security trading application can post updates to P&L application that might be unavailable at the moment.
- Technician submits an x-ray while consuming application instances in London, Chicago and Sao Palo compete who gets the message first by listening on the same queue.
- Amazon Simple Queue Service - supports messages up to 8k; does not guarantee order or that message will be delivered once only. Supports REST API only. Utilizes Amazon Compute Cloud. Proprietary platform.
- OpenMQ - proprietary open source platform.
- Solace MQ from Solace Systems
- StormMQ - Open platform supports messages up to 50Mb. Uses AMQP to avoid vendor lock-in and provide language neutrality. Locate-It Option allows customers to audit the location of their data at all times and satisfy data protection principles.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Microsoft Message Queuing — or MSMQ is a Message Queue implementation developed by Microsoft and deployed in its Windows Server operating systems since Windows NT 4 and Windows 95. The latest Windows 7 also includes this component. In addition to its mainstream server… … Wikipedia
Advanced Message Queuing Protocol — El estándar AMQP (Advanced Message Queuing Protocol) es un protocolo de estándar abierto en la capa de aplicaciones de un sistema de comunicación. Las características que definen al protocolo AMQP son la orientación a mensajes, encolamiento (… … Wikipedia Español
Message-oriented middleware — (MOM) is software or hardware infrastructure supporting sending and receiving messages between distributed systems. MOM allows application modules to be distributed over heterogeneous platforms and reduces the complexity of developing… … Wikipedia
Message queue — In computer science, message queues and mailboxes are software engineering components used for interprocess communication, or for inter thread communication within the same process. They use a queue for messaging – the passing of control or of… … Wikipedia
Message Oriented Middleware — Nachrichtenorientierte Middleware bzw. Message Oriented Middleware (MOM) bezeichnet Middleware, die auf der asynchronen oder synchronen Kommunikation, also der Übertragung von Nachrichten (Messages) beruht. Das Format für die Nachrichten ist… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Java Message Service — The Java Message Service (JMS) API is a Java Message Oriented Middleware (MOM) API for sending messages between two or more clients. JMS is a part of the Java Platform, Enterprise Edition, and is defined by a specification developed under the… … Wikipedia
Amazon Simple Queue Service — (Amazon SQS) is a messaging service provided by Amazon.com. It supports programmatic sending of messages by computer programs as a way to communicate over the web. In some sense it could be compared with an instant messaging service for… … Wikipedia
Platform as a Service — Cloud Computing Architektur Platform as a Service (PaaS) ist die zur Verfügungstellung einer Computer Plattform in der Cloud für Webanwendungsentwickler. PaaS Angebote bieten eine schnell einsetzbare Laufzeitumgebung für Webanwendungen mit… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oracle Advanced Queuing — In computing, Oracle Advanced Queuing (AQ) is a sort of Message Oriented Middleware developed by Oracle Corporation and integrated into its Oracle database. AQ uses database structures as a repository for asynchronous queuing as an element in… … Wikipedia
Quality of service — In the field of computer networking and other packet switched telecommunication networks, the traffic engineering term quality of service (QoS) refers to resource reservation control mechanisms rather than the achieved service quality. Quality of … Wikipedia