- Melodies and Guns
Melodies and Guns
Poems of Megan Kachari
Cover page of Melodies & Guns
Author(s) Megan Kachari Original title Memsahib Prithibi Translator Pradeep Acharya
Country Assam, India Language English Genre(s) Patriotic Publisher UBSPD, Delhi Publication date 1990 Published in
2006 Media type Print (Hardcover) Pages 52 ISBN 8174765808 / 9788174765802 / 81-7476-580-8
Melodies and Guns is a poetry collection in English, edited by Indira Goswami and authored by Megan Kachari, the arrested Central Publicity Secretary of ULFA. The original version is in Assamese with the title Memsahib Prithibi published in 1990. It was translated into English by Pradeep Acharya and Manjeet Baruah and published by UBS Publishers Distributors Ltd, Delhi in 2006. The preface of the book is written by Jnanpith Awardee Indira Goswami.
The readers and scholars of Assam highly appreciated the poems for their powerful portrayal of the experiences of life. "The fearlessness and spontaneity with which he expresses feelings is remarkable.", said noted scholar Professor Hiren Gohain. The poems focus on the lives of the militants and the pain and brutality that they have to undergo. “These are very different kind of poems. They have the smell of the gun powder yet at the same time expresses great love for humanity. They certainly evoke a strange feeling.”, said Dr Goswami who was instrumental in getting the poems published.
Some noted poems
- Soon As Night Descends
- You and I
- The Way You Wish
- The Throb of Life
- The Beastly Darkness – Light
- The Earth a Memsahib
- Cradled Winter Hymns
- Don't Talk Like that Magon and Stray Ramblings
- The Waves
- The Ancient River in Melancholy
- The Void
- This Clear the Water Pons
- The Down Stream Song Words-It's Life Or...
- World Cup of Football
- A Dream Ode to Bird
- Silver Nosepins
- Gold Bangles
- The Song
- The Wounded Search
- ^ Barooah Pisharoty, Sangeeta (2006-11-06). "Negotiating with guns and roses" (in English). The Hindu. http://www.hindu.com/mp/2006/11/06/stories/2006110601010300.htm. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- ^ a b c Borpujari, Utpal (2006-08-16). "ULFA leader creates poetry in the time of guns" (in English). http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg06882.html. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- ^ a b c "Melodies And Guns: Poems Of Megan Kachari" (in English). Flipkart.com. http://www.flipkart.com/melodies-guns-indira-goswami-poems/8174765806-0v23fslf4c. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- ^ Kashyap, Aruni (Tuesday, January 16, 2007). "About Guns and Green Doves" (in English). indiragoswami.blogspot.com. http://indiragoswami.blogspot.com/2007/01/about-guns-and-green-doves-aruni.html. Retrieved 2009-10-18. [dead link]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.