- Melanie Killen
Melanie Killen is Professor of Human Development, Professor of Psychology (Affiliate), and the Associate Director for the Center for Children, Relationships, and Culture at the University of Maryland. She has received funding from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), and the National Science Foundation (NSF) for her research on children’s and adolescents’ development, moral judgment, social inclusion and exclusion, peer relationships, and social cognitive development.
Killen’s research areas of expertise include children’s and adolescents’ social and moral reasoning, peer relationships, social inclusion and exclusion, intergroup relationships and attitudes, prejudice and bias, gender roles, social development, social competence, and the role of school environments on development. Killen has served as an expert witness in a federal school desegregation case and helped prepare two Supreme Court briefs regarding the impact of school desegregation on children’s social development. She has consulted for the U.S. Government in the area of peer conflict resolution as well as for Sesame Workshop and Teaching Tolerance. She has also served as a consultant for a federal initiative on interventions designed to reduce prejudice and to promote inclusion in U.S. elementary schools. Killen serves on the expert advisory panel for the new National Children’s Museum in Washington, D.C., and her research has been profiled in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Baltimore Examiner, The American Scientist, The Chronicle of Higher Education, American School Board Journal, Teaching Tolerance Magazine, ABCNews.com, Newsweek.com, Parenting, Parent-Wise Magazine, Redbook, Baby Journal, as well as other print and media (radio, t.v.) outlets.
- Graduate Mentor of the Year Award, University of Maryland, 2010
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award from the Provost for Academic Affairs, University of Maryland, 2010.
- Honorable Mention, Otto Klineberg Intercultural and International Relations Prize, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI), for Intergroup attitudes and relations in childhood through adulthood (Eds. S. Levy & M. Killen), Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Full member, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, 2009
- Allen Edwards Endowed Lecturer in Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2007.
- Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year Award, University of Maryland, 2004
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science, 2003.
- Recipient, James McKeen Cattell Sabbatical Award from the James McKeen Cattell Foundation, Duke University, 2000.
- Winner, Outstanding Book Award for 1997, Moral Development and Education Special Interest Group (SIG) of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), Morality in everyday life: Developmental Perspectives, Cambridge University Press.
- Fellow, American Psychological Association (Division 7, Developmental Psychology), 1997.
- Visiting Faculty Fellow, Yale University, Yale/Mellon Visiting Faculty Program, 1990.
- NIMH Predoctoral Traineeship, National Research Service Award, Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, 1979-1984.
- Chancellor’s Patent Fund Award for Dissertation Research from the University of California, Berkeley, 1984.
- Soroptimist International of America, Founder Region Fellowship for Dissertation Research, 1984.
- Psi Chi Honorary Society, 1978
- Undergraduate Honorary Fellow, New England Psychological Association, 1978
- Jonas Clark Scholarship, Clark University, 1974.
- Killen, M., & Coplan, R. J. (2011). Social development in childhood and adolescence: A contemporary reader. NY: Wiley/Blackwell Publishers.
- Killen, M., & Hart, D. (Eds.) (1995). Morality in everyday life: Developmental perspectives. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. Winner, Outstanding Book Award for 1997, from Moral Development and Education Special Interest Group (SIG) of the American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Killen, M., Lee-Kim, J., McGlothlin, H., & Stangor, C. (2002). How children and adolescents evaluate gender and racial exclusion. Monographs for the Society for Research in Child Development. Serial No. 271, Vol. 67, No. 4. Oxford, England: Blackwell Publishers.
- Killen, M., & Rutland, A. (2011). Children and social exclusion: Morality, prejudice, and group identity. New York: Wiley/Blackwell Publishers.
- Killen, M., & Smetana, J.G. (Eds.) (2006). Handbook of moral development. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. (Translated into Chinese and Korean), contracted for 2nd edition due out in 2013.
- Langer, J., & Killen, M. (Eds.). (1998). Piaget, evolution, and development. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Levy, S.R., & Killen, M. (Eds.). (2008). Intergroup attitudes and relations in childhood through adulthood. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. Honorable Mention, Otto Klineberg Intercultural and International Relations Prize, from the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI)
Edited Journals, Special Issues
- Killen, M. (Ed.). (1996). Children's autonomy, social competence, and interactions with adults and other children: Exploring connections and consequences. (New Directions for Child Development Vol. 73). S.F., CA: Jossey-Bass, Inc.
- Killen, M. (Ed.). (1995). Conflict resolution in early development [Guest Editor]. Early Education and Development, Volume 6.
- Killen, M., & McKown, C. (Ed.) (2005). Children’s intergroup attitudes about race and ethnicity [Guest Editors]. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Volume 26.
Selected Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Sinno, S., & Killen, M. (2011). Social reasoning about second-shift parenting. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 29, 313-329.
- Killen, M., Mulvey, K. L., Richardson, C. B., Jampol, N., & Woodward, A. (2011). The “accidental transgressor”: Morally-relevant theory of mind. Cognition, 119, 197-215.
- Hitti, A., Mulvey, K.L., & Killen, M. (2011). Evaluation of social exclusion: The role of group norms, group identity and fairness. Anales de Psicologia (Special Issue: Social and developmental aspects of prejudice during childhood and adolescence.).
- Nipedal, C., Nesdale, D. , & Killen, M. (2010). Social group norms, school norms, and aggressive intentions. Aggressive Behavior, 36, 195-204.
- Killen, M., Kelly, M. Richardson, C., & Jampol, N. (2010). Attributions of intentions and fairness judgments regarding interracial peer encounters. Developmental Psychology, 46, 1206-1213.
- Brenick, A., Killen, M., Lee-Kim, J., Fox, N., Leavitt, L., Raviv, A., Masalha, S., Murra, F., & Smadi, Y. (2010). Social understanding in Young Israeli-Jewish, Israeli-Palestinian, Palestinian, and Jordanian children: Moral judgments and stereotypes. Early Education and Development, 21, 886-911.
- Crystal, D. S., Killen, M., & Ruck, M. R. (2010). Fair treatment by authorities is related to children's and adolescents' evaluations of interracial exclusion. Applied Developmental Science, 14, 125-136. Doi: 10.1080/10888691.2010.493067
- Park, Y. & Killen, M. (2010). When is peer rejection justifiable?: Children's understanding across two cultures. Cognitive Development, 25, 290-301.
- Mulvey, K. L., Hitti, A., & Killen, M. (2010). The development of stereotyping and exclusion. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Science, 1, 597-606.
- Killen, M., & Smetana, J. G. (2010). Future directions: Social development in the context of social justice. Social Development, 19, 642-657. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9507.2009.00548.x
- McGlothlin, H., & Killen, M. (2010). How social experience is related to children’s intergroup attitudes. European Journal of Social Psychology: Special Issue: Children’s Intergroup Attitudes (Guest editors: J. Degner & Y. Dunham), 40, 625-634.
- Rutland, A., Killen, M., & Abrams, D. (2010). A new social-cognitive developmental perspective on prejudice: The interplay between morality and group identity. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 5, 280-291.
- Killen, M., Kelly, M., Richardson, C., Crystal, D., & Ruck, M. (2010). European-American children’s and adolescents’ evaluations of interracial exclusion. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 13, 283-300.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Moral Development — focuses on the emergence, change, and understanding of morality from infancy to adulthood. In the field of moral development, morality is defined as principles for how individuals ought to treat one another, with respect to justice, others’… … Wikipedia
Bulletstorm — European box art Developer(s) People Can Fly Epic Games … Wikipedia
Élection générale néo-brunswickoise de 2010 — La 57e élection générale néo brunswickoise eut lieu le 27 septembre 2010. Elle devait élire les députés de l Assemblée législative de la province du Nouveau Brunswick (Canada). Plus de 520 000 personnes se sont inscrites sur la… … Wikipédia en Français
So You Think You Can Dance (season 2) finalists — List of the top twenty finalists from the second season of So You Think You Can Dance. 116 dancers were invited to Las Vegas for a week s training. That 116 was eventually reduced to 41, and finally to 20. Contents 1 Dmitry Chaplin 2 Musa Cooper… … Wikipedia
Homeopathy — Homeopathy: coined in German from Greek hómoios ὅμοιος like + páthos πάθος suffering Oxford English Dictionary … Wikipedia
January 12 — Events *475 Basiliscus becomes Byzantine Emperor, with a coronation ceremony in the Hebdomon palace in Constantinople. *1528 Gustav I of Sweden crowned king of Sweden. *1539 Treaty of Toledo signed by King Francis I of France and Holy Roman… … Wikipedia
Complete results of the Canadian federal election, 2004 — This is a seat by seat list of candidates in the 2004 Canadian election. For more information about the election see Canadian federal election, 2004. Contents 1 2004 federal redistribution 2 Candidates and ridings 2.1 Newfoundland and Labrador … Wikipedia
Shale oil extraction — Shell s experimental in situ shale oil facility, Piceance Basin, Colorado, United States Process type Chemical Industrial sector(s) Chemical industry, oil indus … Wikipedia
54-я церемония «Грэмми» — Дата проведения 12 февраля 2012 Ме … Википедия