- The Mekons (band)
The Mekons Origin Leeds, West Yorkshire, England Genres Punk rock
Years active 1977 – present Labels Fast Product
Associated acts The Three Johns, Waco Brothers, Rolling Stones Website Club Mekon Members Jon Langford
Rico Bell (aka Eric Bellis)
Past members Kevin Lycett
The band was formed in 1977 by a group of University of Leeds art students : Jon Langford, Kevin Lycett, Mark White, Andy Corrigan and Tom Greenhalgh - the Gang of Four and Delta 5 formed from the same group of students. They took the band's name from the Mekon, an evil, super-intelligent Venusian featured in the British 1950s-1960s comic Dan Dare (printed in the Eagle). The band's first single was "Never Been in a Riot", a satirical take on the Clash's White Riot. For several years the loose-knit band played noisy, bare-bones post-punk, releasing singles on a variety of labels. The Mekons' first album, The Quality of Mercy Is Not Strnen, was recorded using the Gang of Four's instruments, and due to an error by the Virgin Records art department, featured pictures of the Gang of Four on the back cover. After 1982's The Mekons Story, a compilation of old recordings, the band ceased activity for a while, with Langford forming The Three Johns.
By the mid-1980s (revitalised by the 1984 miners' strike) the Mekons had returned as an active group. The band was now augmented by vocalist Sally Timms, violinist Susie Honeyman, ex-Damned member Lu Edmonds, accordionist/vocalist Rico Bell (a.k.a. Eric Bellis), and former The Rumour drummer Steve Goulding, among others. They began to experiment with musical styles derived from traditional English folk (tentatively explored on the English Dancing Master EP prior to the hiatus), and American country music. Fear and Whiskey (1985), The Edge of the World (1986) and Honky Tonkin (1987) exemplified the band's new sound, which built on the innovations of Gram Parsons and blended punk ethos and left wing politics with the minimalist country of Hank Williams. Subsequent albums, such as The Mekons Rock'n'Roll, continued to experiment with diverse instrumentation (notably the fiddle and slide guitar).
The Mekons Rock and Roll was the band's first major label release. Issued by A&M Records in 1989, Rock and Roll was not a commercial success, but it was met with critical acclaim.
Just as the Mekons began to grow in critical stature, their relationship with A&M Records became tense, and the Mekons were soon dropped by the label, unable to fulfill their commercial expectations. However, they continued to record at a prolific rate, releasing such notable albums as 1991's The Curse of the Mekons, 2000's Journey to the End of the Night, and 2002's OOOH!. Natural moved the band to a more folk-flavoured sound. In April 2009 the Mekons returned to the studio to complete a new collection of songs, released in 2011 as Ancient and Modern on Bloodshot Records.
Jon Langford has been busy as an artist and as founder of several solo and band projects, including the Waco Brothers (a punk-meets-Johnny Cash-like ensemble) and the Pine Valley Cosmonauts (exploring the music of Bob Wills, Johnny Cash and others). Besides his solo albums he has released CDs with Richard Buckner, Kevin Coyne, The Sadies, Kat Ex (Katherina Bornefeld) of The Ex (band).
The band has toured and recorded with a mostly unaltered lineup (Langford, Greenhalgh, Timms, Goulding, Bell, Edmonds, Honeyman, and bassist Sarah Corina) throughout the 1990s and early 21st century, and has a highly devoted following.
In a February 2011 interview, Langford discussed the music documentary about the band, Revenge of the Mekons, directed by Joe Angio and tentatively scheduled for release in late 2011.
- 1979 – The Quality of Mercy Is Not Strnen (LP)
- 1980 - The Mekons [aka Devils Rats and Piggies a Special Message from Godzilla] (re-released in 1997)
- 1982 - The Mekons Story (re-released in 1986)
- 1985 - Fear and Whiskey (re-released in 2002)
- 1986 - Edge of the World (re-released in 1996)
- 1987 - The Mekons Honky Tonkin'
- 1988 - So Good It Hurts
- 1989 - The Mekons Rock'n'Roll (re-released in 2000)
- 1991 - The Curse of the Mekons
- 1993 - I ♥ Mekons
- 1994 - Retreat from Memphis
- 1996 - Pussy, King of the Pirates (with Kathy Acker)
- 1998 - Me
- 2000 - Journey to the End of the Night
- 2002 - Oooh! (Out of Our Heads)
- 2004 - Punk Rock
- 2007 - Natural
- 2011 - Ancient and Modern
- 1986 - Slightly South of the Border
- 1986 - Crime and Punishmnet
- 1989 - The Dream and Lie of...
- 1990 - Fun '90
- 1992 - Wicked Midnite
- 1993 - Millionaire
- "Never Been In A Riot" b/w "32 Weeks" and "Heart & Soul" (FAST 1 Jan. 1978)
- "Where Were You?" b/w "I'll Have To Dance Then (On My Own)" (FAST 7 1978)
- "Work All Week" b/w "Unknown Wrecks" (VS300 1979)
- "Teeth" b/w "Guardian" and "Kill" b/w "Stay Cool" (Virgin double 7" - 1980)
- "This Sporting Life" b/w Frustration" (CNT1 1986)
- "Hello Cruel World" b/w "Alone & Forsaken" (Sin004 1986)
- "Ghosts of American Astronauts" (Twin/Tone 1988)
- "Untitled 1" b/w "Untitled 2" (qs31 1995)
- 1980 -- Mutant Pop (PVC/Jem), a US reissue of various early Fast Product singles, including the Mekons first 7", Never Been in a Riot b/w 32 Weeks, as well as Where Were You?, both first released in 1978.
- 1986 - The Mekons Story (re-released in 1993/2008)
- 1987 - New York (re-released in 1990/2001)
- 1989 - Original Sin (Fear & Whiskey with bonus tracks)
- 1999 - I Have Been to Heaven and Back
- 1999 - Where were you? Hen's Teeth and other lost fragments of unpopular culture Vol. 2
- 2001 - The Curse of the Mekons/Fun '90 (combined reissue)
- 2004 - Heaven & Hell (The Very Best of the Mekons)
- 1996 - Mekons United (book with CD)
- 2011 (planned) - Revenge of the Mekons directed by Joe Angio
- ^ "Blurt Interview with Jon Langford". http://blurt-online.com/features/view/709.
- ^ Los Angeles Times. "A Mekon reflects". http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/09/punk-rock-painter-jon-langford-mekons.html.
- ^ MusicFilmWeb. "Jon Langford: What The Mekons Is". http://www.musicfilmweb.com/the-riff-blog/the-ask/jon-langford-what-the-mekons-is/.
- ^ "Mekons Announce New Album". Pitchfork Media. June 21, 2011. http://pitchfork.com/news/42932-mekons-announce-new-album/. Retrieved June 9, 2011.
- The Mekons (band) on Myspace
- http://www.mekons.de/mekonhom.htm - Official fan-run website with discography
- http://www.wacobrothers.com/ - Homepage of the Waco Brothers
- http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/ - Bloodshot-site, a record label where many members of the Mekons release their material (Sally Timms, Jon Langford, Rico Bell) / side projects (Pine Valley Cosmonauts, Waco Brothers)
- An interview with the Mekons - Stay Free! magazine
- The Mekons collection on the Internet Archive's live music archive
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Ex (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = The Ex Img capt = The Ex in concert on 16 June 2004 in Germany. Left to right: Rozemarie, G.W. Sok, Katherina Ex, Andy Moor. Img size = Landscape = yes Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Amsterdam Genre =… … Wikipedia
The Mekons — Infobox musical artist Name = The Mekons Img capt = Mekons circa 1994, left to right: Jon Langford, Sarah Corina, Tom Greenhalgh, Sally Timms, Rico Bell Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Birth name = Alias = Born = Died = Origin … Wikipedia
The Mekons — Die Mekons wurden als Punk Band 1977 in Leeds (Großbritannien) gegründet. Der Name stammt von den außerirdischen Gegenspielern von Dan Dare, dem Helden einer britischen Science Fiction Comic Serie. Seit Mitte der 1980er Jahre wandten sie sich… … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Bomb Party — were an English rock band from Leicester. They have been described as The Godfathers of Grebo . [http://beehive.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome ID=8354 PageID=44931 Leicester Bands: Huge Big Massive, Delicatessen, The Bomb… … Wikipedia
The Fall — Основная информация … Википедия
The Karl Hendricks Trio — is a rock band from Pittsburgh. In the span of twelve years, they have released seven albums, toured, and even played as a four piece rock band. Now firmly a trio again, the band s latest album was 2007 s The World Says (with Alexsey Plotnicov as … Wikipedia
The 6ths — is a band created by Stephin Merritt, also the prime mover behind The Magnetic Fields, The Gothic Archies and Future Bible Heroes.One story has it that the band was conceived when Merritt, observing that there was no tribute album dedicated to… … Wikipedia
The Ex — en directo en junio de 2004. Datos generales Origen Ámsterdam (Países Bajos) … Wikipedia Español
The ex (groupe) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir The Ex. The Ex … Wikipédia en Français
The Mekon (disambiguation) — *The Mekon is the villain of the Dan Dare comics serial. *The British punk rock band The Mekons took their name from this character. *There is also a Big beat musician called Mekon. *There are various commercial organizations and internet sites… … Wikipedia