- Mehrabad International Airport
IATA: THR – ICAO: OIII Summary Airport type Joint (Public/Military) Serves Tehran, Karaj Location Tehran, Iran Hub for Iran Air
Iran Asseman Airlines
Iran Air Tours Secondary
Kish Air Secondary
Elevation AMSL 3,962 ft / 1,208 m Coordinates Website Runways Direction Length Surface ft m 09/27 1,556 474 Concrete 11L/29R 13,098 3,992 Asphalt 11R/29L 13,248 4,038 Asphalt Statistics (2009) Aircraft Movements 102,014 Passengers 12,094,218 Cargo 105,601 Source: Iranian Airports Holding Company 
Mehrabad International Airport (Persian: فرودگاه مهرآباد) (IATA: THR, ICAO: OIII) is an airport that serves Tehran, Iran. It was the primary airport of Tehran in both international and domestic passenger traffic but has been replaced by Imam Khomeini International Airport (IKA) in most of its international flights. It is still by far the busiest airport in Iran in terms of passenger traffic and aircraft movements, handling 12,094,218 passengers in 2009. The airport is located inside the city boundaries and is thus much easier to access than IKA.
An aircraft engineering and maintenance company Fajr Ashian, has a maintenance hangar adjacent to main airport premises. The hangar is linked to Mehrabad Airport through a taxiway crossing "Tehran-Karaj" Highway. Fajr Ashian takes care of Aircraft of many companies e.g. Mahan Air, Iran Air.
The change of international flights to IKA, finished in 2004, was gradual, starting with flights to countries bordering the Persian Gulf. All international flights have now been moved to IKA except flights to Saudi Arabia for Hajj and Umrah.
The airport was first time used as an airfield for aviation club planes in 1938, then after World War II along with becoming internationally recognized by joining Iran civil aviation organization to the ICAO in 1949, the airport also became an air force base. Newly delivered Republic F-84G Thunderjets (fighter) and Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star (trainer) arrived, May 1957 and April 1956, respectively. Iranian Air Force. In 1955 just after construction of first asphalt paved runway a new terminal building (Current Terminal 1) for both international and domestic flights was designed and constructed. Among the designers of the initial modern buildings of the airport was the famous architect William Pereira.
Terminals, airlines and destinations
Mehrabad International Airport consists of six terminals, with Terminals 1, 3 and 5 only used during Haj and Umrah seasons. Most other airlines operate out of Terminals 4 and 6, except of Iran Air, Iran Air Tours and ATA Air, which are based at Terminal 2. Cargo flights are also handled at Terminal 2
Airlines Destinations Terminal Air Atlanta Icelandic Luxembourg 2 (cargo) Aria Air Bandar Abbas, Isfahan, Kish Island, Lar, Mashad, Qeshm Island 4, 6 ATA Air Kish Island, Mashad, Ardabil, Tabriz, Urmia 2 Cargolux Dubai, Luxembourg, Hong Kong 2 (cargo) Caspian Airlines Ahvaz, Kish Island, Mashhad, Tabriz 4, 6 Eram Air Avhaz, Bandar Abbas, Kish Island, Mashad, Tabriz 4, 6 Fars Air Qeshm Bandar Abbas, Bandar Lengeh, Qeshm Island, Mahshahr 4, 6 Hesa Airlines Isfahan 4, 6 Iran Air Seasonal: Jeddah, Madinah 1, 5 Iran Air Ahvaz, Ardabil, Bandar Abbas, Birjand, Bushehr, Gheshm, Isfahan, Kermanshah, Kish Island, Lar, Mashad, Rasht, Shahre-Kord, Sary, Shiraz, Tabriz, Urmia, Yazd, Zahedan 2 Iran Air Tours Abadan, Ahvaz, Bandar Abbas, Chabahar, Isfahan, Kermanshah, Khorramabad, Mashad, Rasht, Sary, Shahrekord, Shiraz, Tabriz, Urmieh, Yazd, Zahedan 2 Iran Aseman Airlines Abadan, Ahvaz, Ardabil, Asalouyeh, Bam, Birjand, Bojnord, Bushehr, Gorgan, Gheshm, Ilam, Isfahan, Kermanshah, Kish Island, Khoy, Lamerd, Lar, Mashad, Rafsanjan, Ramsar, Rasht, Sabzevar, Sahand, Sanandaj, Shiraz, Tabas, Tabriz, Yasouj, Yazd 4, 6 Iranian Airlines Isfahan, Kish Island 4, 6 Kish Air Abadan, Asalouyeh, Ahvaz, Bandar Abbas, Hamadan, Isfahan, Qeshm Island, Kish Island , Mahshahr, Mashad, Shiraz, Shahrekord, Tabriz 4, 6 Lufthansa Cargo Leipzig/Halle, Sharjah 2 (cargo) Mahan Air Seasonal: Jeddah 1, 5 Mahan Air Ardabil, Asalouyeh, Birjand, Bandar Abbas, Dezful, Iranshahr, Isfahan, Kerman, Kish Island, Mahshahr, Mashad, Shiraz, Sirjan, Zabol 4, 6 Martinair Cargo Amsterdam 2 (cargo) Naft Air Lines Ahvaz, Mahshahr 4, 6 Saha Air Avhaz, Kish Island, Mashad 4, 6 Sahand Asia Air Mashad 4, 6 Saudi Arabian Airlines Seasonal: Jeddah, Madinah 1, 5 Saudi Arabian Airlines Cargo Jeddah 2 (cargo) Zagros Air Ahwaz, Mashad, Kish Island, Shiraz, Siri Island 4, 6
Accidents and incidents
- On 20 April 2005, a Boeing 707-3J9C had an accident while landing in Mehrabad airport. After touchdown on runway 29L problems with the undercarriage (failure of a landing gear or tyre burst) caused the Boeing 707 to slide off the runway into the Kan River. Three passengers were killed after they fell in the river during the evacuation.
- On 19 June 2005, a Northwest Airlines DC-10 en route from Mumbai to Amsterdam made an emergency landing at Mehrabad Airport due to an indication of a fire in the cargo hold, which turned out to be a false alarm. No American airliners had landed in Iran since the revolution. The plane left 8 hours later without incident.
- On 6 December 2005, an Iranian Air Force C-130 Hercules crashed in Tehran shortly after taking off from the airport.
- On 2 January 2008, an Iran Air Fokker 100 (EP-IDB) plane carrying 100 passengers skidded off the runway after part of its wing caught fire when attempting to takeoff on a domestic flight to Shiraz Airport. Its wheels were disconnected and part of its wing caught fire. No one was injured in the accident, which happened around 07:30 IRST amid heavy snowfall at the airport.
Film shot at Mehrabad Airport
- 1965 The Poppy is also a Flower directed by Terence Young
- ^ 
- ^ Rezaee, Siavash (2007-10-30). "President of National Civil Aviation Organization in an interview with "Iran": small airlines will be eliminated" (in Persian). Iran-e Eqtesadi. p. 2.
- ^ http://www.tkellner.com/index.php?id=3267
- ^ The Modern Airport Terminal: New Approaches to Airport Architecture. Brian Edwards. Taylor & Francis, 2005. ISBN 978-0-415-24812-9 pp.72
- ^ "ارتباط با هما." IranAir. Retrieved on 12 January 2011. "آدرس : تهران ، جاده مخصوص كرج ، بلوار فرودگاه ،ادارات مركزي هما ، ساختمان پشتيباني ، طبقه دوم ، اتاق 217"
- ^ "Contact IranAir." IranAir. Retrieved on 12 January 2011. "Address: No.221,Second Floor,Public Relations,Support Services BLd., IranAir H.Q.,Mehrabad Airport,Tehran,Iran."
- ^ "Aircraft Accident/ Incident Report Form New Edition." Iran Civil Aviation Organization. Retrieved on 12 January 2011. "vice president of civil Aviation in flight standard, Civil Aviation Organization, Mehrabad international airport, Tehran, Iran."
- ^ CNN.com - Transcripts
- ^ Audio interview with Captain of NWA Flight 41
- ^ "Iran Air plane skids off runway, passengers safe". AFP. http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCZFq3IgeJJyAjQSULFgE7WMaVQA. Retrieved 2008-01-05.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mehrabad International Airport — Mehrabad Airport … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mashhad International Airport — Shahid Hashemi Nejad Airport IATA: MHD – ICAO: OIMM … Wikipedia
Isfahan International Airport — Esfahan Shahid Beheshti International Airport IATA: IFN – ICAO: OIFM … Wikipedia
Kish International Airport — IATA: KIH – ICAO: OIBK … Wikipedia
Shiraz International Airport — Shahid Dastghaib International Airport Tadayon Air Base IATA: SYZ – ICAO: OISS … Wikipedia
Tabriz International Airport — IATA: TBZ – ICAO: OITT … Wikipedia
Atatürk International Airport — Infobox Airport name = Atatürk International Airport nativename = Atatürk Uluslararası Havalimanı nativename a = nativename r = image width = caption = IATA = IST ICAO = LTBA type = Public owner = General Directorate of State Airports operator =… … Wikipedia
Malé International Airport — Infobox Airport name = Malé International Airport nativename = nativename a = މާލެ އިންޓަނޭޝަނަލް އެއަރޕޯރޓް nativename r = image width = caption = Your Journey:Our Buisness IATA = MLE ICAO = VRMM type = Public owner = operator = Maldives… … Wikipedia
Larestan International Airport — IATA: LRR – ICAO: OISL … Wikipedia
Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport — IKA redirects here. For the Renault subsidiary, see Industrias Kaiser Argentina. Imam Khomeini International Airport Forudgāhe beynalmellaliye Imam Khomeini IATA: IKA – ICAO: OIIE … Wikipedia