- Medway Creek (Ontario)
Medway Creek runs a 214 km watercourse, providing a 205 km2 watershed, the majority of which is Middlesex county farmland. The Creek begins just north of Elginfield Rd (Highway #7), just east of Lucan, Ontario. Tributaries that flow into Medway Creek include Cook Drain, Elginfield Drain, Edgewood Drain, White-Fitzgerald Drain, Risdon Drain, Mills-Guest Drain, Colbert Drain and Snake Creek.
30% of the watercourse is natural, while 49% is channeled; the final 21% is buried in tile drains.
The Creek drains just after running through the Medway Heritage Forest in Northwest London, which is one of the few wooded areas that still hides the creek from housing development or farmland. Traveling north on Highway #4 (Richmond St.), one can plainly see the creek's wandering path, as it frequently crosses the road. However, 34% of the riparian zone, a 30 metre buffer on each side of the creek, is in permanent vegetation (forest and meadows).
Features of the Watershed
- 83% of the land is used for agriculture. A large portion of the soils in the watershed are silt and clay loams.
- The Arva Moraine Wetlands Complex is a provincially significant wetland. Three other wetlands are locally significant.
- Groundwater is a source of drinking water in a large portion of the watershed, including a municipal water system in Birr. Groundwater supports wetlands, forests and streams; approximately 65% of local stream flow is fed by groundwater.
- 46 fish and 13 freshwater mussel species have been recorded in Medway Creek. Gamefish include Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike and Rainbow Trout. Most of the watercourse has a higher average temperature, which supports warmwater species.
- ^ http://www.thamesriver.on.ca/Watershed_Projects/medway-creek.htm Upper Thames River Conservation Authority
- ^ http://www.thamesriver.on.ca/Watershed_Projects/watershed_projects.htm
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Medway High School (Arva, Ontario) — Medway High School 300px Address 14405 Medway Ontario Arva, Ontario, N0M 1C0, Canada … Wikipedia
Middlesex Centre, Ontario — Middlesex Centre is a township in south western Ontario, Canada. It is located to the north and west of London and is in Middlesex County. The Corporation of the Township of Middlesex Centre, formed on January 1 1998 with the amalgamation of the… … Wikipedia
Liste der Flüsse in Ontario — Flüsse nach Provinz und Territorium BC AB SK … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of Ontario rivers — This is the list of rivers which are situated in and flow through Ontario. The watershed list includes tributaries as well.List of rivers arranged by watershedHudson Bay watershedIn order of drainage into Hudson Bay from west to east: *Echoing… … Wikipedia
Thames River (Ontario) — The Thames River is located in southwestern Ontario, Canada.The Thames flows west 273 kilometers (169 miles) through southwestern Ontario, through the cities of Woodstock, London and Chatham to Lighthouse Cove on Lake St. Clair. It drains 5,825… … Wikipedia
Museum of Ontario Archaeology — Coordinates: 43°00′48″N 81°18′20″W / 43.013426°N 81.30559°W / 43.013426; 81.30559 … Wikipedia
Museum of Ontario Archaeology — Das Museum of Ontario Archaeology ist ein Museum in der kanadischen Provinz Ontario, genauer in 1600 Attawandaron Road, London. Es beschäftigt sich mit der 11.000 jährigen Geschichte des Südwestens der Provinz und hat sich an zahlreichen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Napier, Ontario — Coordinates: 42°52′07″N 81°46′08″W / 42.86861°N 81.76889°W / 42.86861; 81.76889 … Wikipedia
Middlesex Centre — Township The Corporation of the Municipality of Middlesex Centre Motto: You re In The Right Place … Wikipedia
Saugeen-Maitland Hall — is a co ed students residence at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, Canada. It is currently home to 1252 students and is the largest student residence on campus. Saugeen Maitland Hall is actually a combination of two residences … Wikipedia