- List of medical abbreviations
Abbreviations are used very frequently in medicine. They boost efficiency as long as they are used intelligently. The advantages of brevity should be weighed against the possibilities of crypticness (making the communication harder for others to understand) and ambiguity (having more than one possible interpretation). Certain medical abbreviations are avoided to prevent mistakes, according to best practices (and in some cases regulatory requirements); these are flagged in the list of abbreviations used in medical prescriptions.
Periods (stops) are often used in styling abbreviations. Prevalent practice in medicine today is often to forego them as unnecessary.
- Less common: The diagnosis was C.O.P.D.
[chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]
- More common: The diagnosis was COPD.
- Less common: The diagnosis was C.O.P.D.
The prevalent way to represent plurals for medical acronyms is simply to affix a lowercase s (no apostrophe).
- Example: one-two OCP, two OCPs [oral contraceptive pills].
Possessive forms are not often needed, but can be formed using apostrophe + s. Often the writer can also recast the sentence to avoid it.
- BP's effect on risk of MI is multifaceted.
- The effect of BP on MI risk is multifaceted.
Conventions of this series
- This series of lists omits periods from acronyms and initialisms.
- It uses periods for certain abbreviations that traditionally often have them (mostly older Latin/Neo-Latin abbreviations). For example, both bid and b.i.d. may be found in the list.
- It generally uses the singular form of an abbreviation (not the plural) as the headword.
- This list uses significant capitalization for headwords (the abbreviations) and their expansions.
- List of abbreviations used in medical prescriptions
- List of medical roots, suffixes and prefixes
- Medical dictionary
- Medical slang
- Abbreviation#Style conventions in English
- Acronym and initialism#Orthographic styling
- Davis, Neil M. (2008). Medical Abbreviations: 30,000 Conveniences at the Expense of Communication and Safety (14th ed.). Warminster, PA, USA: Neil M Davis Associates. ISBN 978-0-931431-14-2. Available online (by subscription) at MedAbbrev.com.
- Jablonski, Stanley (2008). Jablonski's Dictionary of Medical Acronyms and Abbreviations with CD-ROM (6th ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders. ISBN 978-1-4160-5899-1.
- Sloane, Sheila B. (1997). Medical Abbreviations & Eponyms (2nd ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders. ISBN 978-0-7216-7088-1.
- Medical Abbreviations for iPhone
- Medical abbreviations on mediLexicon
- Medical acronyms and abbreviations on all-acronyms.com
- Over 20,000 medical abbreviations sorted into specialist categories
← previous page of list (Z) · next page of list (0-9) →
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
List of medical abbreviations: N — v · d · … Wikipedia
List of medical abbreviations: O — Template:MedAcronyms Sortable table Abbreviation Meaning o Nothing [ō letter o with overbar] O2 oxygen OA osteoarthritis OAF osteoclast activating factor OB GYN ob gyne obstetrics and gynecology … Wikipedia
List of dosage abbreviations — This is a list of acronyms and abbreviations used to record dosages:Frequency* PRN As necessary/needed / Latin pro re nata* Q1H every hour * Q2H every 2 hours * Q3H every 3 hours * Q4H every 4 hours * Q6H every 6 hours * Q8H every 8 hour* SID… … Wikipedia
List of Singapore abbreviations — This list of Singapore abbreviations sets out abbreviations that are commonly used in Singapore.CompactTOC8 center=yes align=center num=yes custom1=Overview custom2=Abbreviations in the military custom3=Abbreviations in transport seealso=yes… … Wikipedia
List of Latin abbreviations — Latin was once the universal academic language in Europe. From the eighteenth century authors started using their mother tongue to write books, papers or proceedings. However, many Latin abbreviations continued to be used due to their precise… … Wikipedia
List of optometric abbreviations — Contents 1 Eye Examination Terms 2 Clinical Conditions Terms 3 Contact Lens Terms 4 Pharmacy and Drug Terms … Wikipedia
List of medical roots, suffixes and prefixes — This is a list of roots, suffixes, and prefixes used in medical terminology, their meanings, and their etymology. There are a few rules when using medical roots. Firstly, prefixes and suffixes, primarily in Greek, but also in Latin, have a… … Wikipedia
Medical slang — is a form of slang used by doctors, nurses, paramedics and other hospital or medical staff. Its central aspect is the use of facetious but impressive sounding acronyms and invented terminology to describe patients, co workers or tricky situations … Wikipedia
List of acronyms and initialisms — 0–9* 1, = Onekama, Michigan * 2D (i) Two dimensional * 2.5D (p) Two and a half dee : two dimensional computer graphics where some flat images lie in front of others * 2G (i) Second generation mobile (cellular, wireless) telephone system * 2.5G… … Wikipedia
List of abbreviations for medical organisations and personnel — ADGJMPUee also* acronym * List of medical abbreviations … Wikipedia