- Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine
The Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine is the Nobel Committee responsible for proposing laureates for the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine. The Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine is appointed by the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, a body of 50 members at Karolinska Institutet. It usually consists of Swedish professors of physiology or medical subjects who active at Karolinska Institutet, although the Assembly in principle could appoint anyone to the Committee. Other than the five ordinary members, ten associated members are appointed each year, for that year only.
The Committee is a working body that invites nominations and evaluates candidates nominated for the Nobel Prize. The final decision to award the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine is taken by the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet and based on a proposal from the Nobel Committee.
Over the years, there have been many controversies concerned with the process by which nominations and awards of the Nobel Prize. To avoid any possible appearance of bias, the Nobel Committee states that once 50 years has passed since the time of nomination, it will make the criteria for the selection of award recipients public. Currently (August 2, 2011) the Nobel Prize award site is more than 10 years late in providing these criteria. See Nobel Prize controversies.
The current members of the Committee are:
- Klas Kärre, elected 2006 (chairman 2009–)
- Jan Andersson, elected 2008
- Carlos Ibáñez, elected 2008
- Urban Lendahl, elected 2007
- Rune Toftgård, elected 2010
The secretary is in charge of the organization for the Nobel Committee and Assembly. He participates ex officio in their meetings and is usually their representative on the board of the Nobel Foundation.
- Göran Liljestrand, 1918–1960
- Ulf von Euler, 1960–1965
- Bengt Gustavsson, 1966–1978
- Jan Lindsten, 1979–1990
- Alf Lindberg, 1991–1992
- Nils Ringertz, 1992–1999
- Hans Jörnvall, 2000–2008
- Göran K. Hansson, 2009–
- Karl Mörner, 1900–?
- Carl Sundberg, 1904–1916
- Johan Erik Johansson, 1904–? (chairman 1918—?)
- Frithiof Lennmalm, 1908–1910, 1917–1918 and 1920–?
- Jules Åkerman, 1911–?
- Edvard Welander, 1911–?
- Johan Albin Dalén, 1911–?
- Bror Gadelius, 1914–?
- Frans Westermark, 1914–?
- John Sjöqvist, 1918–1928
- Gunnar Hedrén, ?–1922
- Einar Hammarsten, 1929–?
- Alfred Pettersson, 1932–1934
- Folke Henschen, 1935–?
- Gunnar Holmgren, 1938–?
- Göran Liljestrand, 1938–?
- Viktor Wigert, 1938–?
- Gösta Häggqvist, around 1940
- Hilding Bergstrand, ?–1952 (chairman 1947–1952)
- Ulf von Euler, 1953–1960 (chairman 1958–1960)
- Axel Westman, 1955–?
- Hugo Theorell, 1958–?
- Carl-Axel Hamberger, 1961–1966
- Erling Norrby, 1975–1980
- David Ottoson, 1974–1984 (chairman 1982–1984)
- Nils Ringertz, 1981–1987 (chairman 1985–1987)
- Sten Orrenius, 1983–2002
- Jan Wersäll, 1984–1990
- Bengt Samuelsson, 1984–? (chairman 1987–?)
- Tomas Hökfelt, 1985–?
- Hans Wigzell, 1987–?
- Ralf F. Pettersson, 1995–2000 (chairman 1998–2000)
- Staffan Normark, 1996–2001
- Sten Lindahl, 1997–2002 (chairman 2001-2002)
- Bo Angelin, 1998–2003 (chairman 2003)
- Björn Vennström, 2001–2006
- Göran K. Hansson, 2002–2007 (chairman 2004–2006)
- Erna Möller, 2003–2005
- Lars Terenius, 2003–2005
- Nils-Göran Larsson, 2006–2008
- Bertil Fredholm, 2004–2009 (chairman 2007–2008)
- ^ a b Nobelprize.org: The Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine, accessed 2010-06-19
- ^ Nobelprize.org: Prize Awarder for the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, accessed 2010-06-19
Nobel Prizes Prizes Laureatesby subjectby criterion Organizations Related topics
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine — The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine Award … Wikipedia
Nobel Committee for Chemistry — Announcement of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2008. The Nobel Committee for Chemistry is the Nobel Committee responsible for proposing laureates for the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. The Nobel Committee for Chemistry is appointed by the … Wikipedia
Nobel Committee for Physics — Announcement of the Nobel Prize for Physics 2009. From left Anne L Huillier, Joseph Nordgren, Gunnar Öquist and Ingemar Lundström. The Nobel Committee for Physics is the Nobel Committee responsible for proposing laureates for the Nobel Prize for… … Wikipedia
Nobel Committee — Two of the Nobel Committees, those for physics and chemistry, as well as the Prize Committee for economics, are located at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences … Wikipedia
Committee for the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel — Announcement of the Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic sciences 2008 The Committee for the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel is the prize committee for the Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, and fills the … Wikipedia
Norwegian Nobel Committee — The Norwegian Nobel Committee (Norwegian: Den norske Nobelkomité) awards the Nobel Peace Prize each year. Its five members are appointed by the Norwegian Parliament and roughly represent the political makeup of that body. Contents … Wikipedia
Nobel Prizes — ▪ 2009 Introduction Prize for Peace The 2008 Nobel Prize for Peace was awarded to Martti Ahtisaari, former president (1994–2000) of Finland, for his work over more than 30 years in settling international disputes, many involving ethnic,… … Universalium
Nobel Prize — The Nobel Prize … Wikipedia
Nobel prize — any of various awards made annually, beginning in 1901, from funds originally established by Alfred B. Nobel for outstanding achievement in physics, chemistry, medicine or physiology, literature, and the promotion of peace; an annual award in… … Universalium
Nobel Prize controversies — Nobel Prize Awarded for Outstanding contributions in physics, chemistry, literature, peace, and physiology or medicine. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, identified with the Nobel Prize, is awarded for… … Wikipedia