- Defense Information Systems Network
The DISN Leading Edge Services (DISN-LES) is a "Next Generation" network providing wide area Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) connectivity to worldwide subscriber sites. The network is used by subscribers and DISA's GE-51 Program Office to test systems, equipment, network monitoring and management technologies, trouble shooting, and help desk procedures. The DISN-LES also provides technologies such as quality of service protocols. Supported capabilities include video teleconferencing and other collaborative tools such as electronic whiteboarding and distributed war-fighting simulations. Another network focus is compatibility testing among products produced on evolving standards. Some sites have been set up to pass unclassified traffic into the encrypted part of the network. The results of network, hardware and software tests and exercises are shared with equipment and software suppliers and government organizations to provide real world experience with the technologies that influence network designs and system acquisition decisions throughout the industry.
DISN End-to-End Infrastructure Responsibilities
The DISN end-to-end infrastructure is composed of three major segments:
- The sustaining base (I.e. base, post, camp, or station, and Service enterprise networks). The Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I) infrastructure will interface with the long-haul network to support the deployed warfighter. The sustaining base segment is primarily the responsibility of the individual Services.
- The long-haul transport infrastructure, which includes the communication systems and services between the fixed environments and the deployed Joint Task Force (JTF) and/or Coalition Task Force (CTF) warfighter. The long-haul telecommunications infrastructure segment is primarily the responsibility of DISA.
- The deployed warfighter, mobile users, and associated Combatant Commander telecommunications infrastructures supporting the Joint Task Force (JTF) and/or Coalition Task Force (CTF). The deployed warfighter and associated Combatant Commander telecommunications infrastructure is primarily the responsibility of the individual Services.
As defined in CJCSI 6211.02C,Defense Information Systems Network (DISN) Policy and Responsibilities, 09 July 2008, end-to-end is defined as the fusion of requisite components to deliver a defined capability. For the GIG, this implies components from the user access and display devices and sensors to the various levels of networking and processing, associated applications, and related transport and management services. For DISN services, end-to-end encompasses service user to service user (e.g., PC-to-PC, phone-to-phone).
- ^ "DISA Subscription Service for the 21st Century". DISA. http://www.disa.mil/main/support/dss.html.
- ^ DISN Data Services Course, Module 1 - DISN Data Networks Overview, 01SEP09
- ^ "CJCSI 6211.02C Defense Information Systems Network (DISN) Policy and Responsibilities". http://www.dtic.mil/cjcs_directives/cdata/unlimit/6211_02.pdf.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Defense Information Systems Network — Integrated network, centrally managed and configured to provide long haul information transfer services for all Department of Defense activities. It is an information transfer utility designed to provide dedicated point to point, switched voice… … Military dictionary
Defense Information Systems Agency — Seal … Wikipedia
defense information infrastructure — The shared or interconnected system of computers, communications, data applications, security, people, training, and other support structures serving Department of Defense (DOD) local, national, and worldwide information needs. The defense… … Military dictionary
Information systems technician — (or Information technician ; abrreviation: IT ) refers to an industrial occupation whose responsibility is maintaining communications and computer systems. ITs may also refer to individuals that help design and develop information and graphic… … Wikipedia
Computers and Information Systems — ▪ 2009 Introduction Smartphone: The New Computer. The market for the smartphone in reality a handheld computer for Web browsing, e mail, music, and video that was integrated with a cellular telephone continued to grow in 2008. According to… … Universalium
Certified Information Systems Security Professional — CISSP Logo Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is an independent information security certification governed by International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)². (ISC)² is a self declared… … Wikipedia
Certified Information Systems Auditor —  Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) is a professional certification for Information Technology Audit professionals sponsored by ISACA, formerly the Information Systems Audit and Control Association. Candidates for the certification… … Wikipedia
Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture — The Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA) is an enterprise wide information system built around an electronic health record, used throughout the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical system,… … Wikipedia
French air defense radar systems — The French air defence organization is integrated in the military Armée de l’Air (ALA), the French Air Force.The defence of the French national airspace has always been based on 2 main aspects. 1st aspect: the peacetime security of the French… … Wikipedia
Defense Switched Network — The Defense Switched Network (DSN) is a primary information transfer network for the Defense Information Systems Network (DISN). The DSN provides the worldwide non secure voice, secure voice, data, facsimile, and video teleconferencing services… … Wikipedia