- Mawlamyine University
Mawlamyaing University မော်လမြိုင် တက္ကသိုလ် Motto Enshrine the education, serves the peoples' will Established 1953 Type public Rector Dr. Htay Aung Students ~ approximately 10,000  Postgraduates Master of Science, Master of Arts Location Taungwaing Road, Mawlamyaing
Mon State, Myanmar
Affiliations University of Yangon
Mawlamyaing University (also the University of Mawlamyaing; Burmese: မော်လမြိုင် တက္ကသိုလ်, pronounced [mɔ̀ləmjàiɴ tɛʔkəθò]), located in Mawlamyaing, is the largest university in Mon State, Myanmar. The university offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in liberal arts and sciences. It is one of the few universities in the country to offer a specialization in marine science in the country.
The university was founded in 1953 as Moulmein Intermediate College under Yangon University. It was renamed Mawlamyaing Degree College in 1964. It became an independent university in 1986.
Classified as an Arts and Science university in the Burmese university education system, Mawlamyaing University offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in in common liberal arts and sciences disciplines. Its regular Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) take three years to complete and honors degree programs BA (Hons) and BSc (Hons) take four years. The law program also takes four years.
Mawlamyaing University is one of few universities in Myanmar, offering a degree in Marine Science. Its Marine Science Laboratory in Setse, a coastal town about 60 km south of Mawlamyaing was the first of its kind in Myanmar.
Program Bachelor's Master's Doctorate Burmese BA MA English BA MA Geography BA MA History BA MA Philosophy BA MA Psychology BA MA Botany BSc MSc Chemistry BSc MSc Marine Science BSc Mathematics BSc MSc Physics BSc MSc Zoology BSc MSc
List of rectors
- Dr. Khin Maung Tint (Tekkatho Phone Naing)
- Hla Tun Aung
- Kyi Win
- San Tint
- Saw Han Shein
- Dr. Htay Aung
The university's three-story library, completed in January 2004, houses over 106,000 books and periodicals.
Noted writer Dr. Mehm Tin Mon was a Professor of Chemistry at the university from 1986 to 1992.
- ^ http://monnews.org/?p=912 | Mawlamyine University students struggle with internet research
- ^ a b c Thaw Kaung (1996-07-01). "Mawlamyine: the Old and the New". Myanmar Perspectives. http://www.myanmar.gov.mm/Perspective/persp1996/7-96/old.htm.
- ^ "List of Colleges and Universities in and around Yangon". http://www.finitesite.com/sanchaung2/colleges.html. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- ^ "Mawlamyine University gets new three-storey library". The New Light of Myanmar. 2004-01-27. http://www.myanmar.gov.mm/NLM-2004/Jan04/enlm/Jan27_h2.html.
This Asian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.