- Boy (Canadian band)
BOY Origin Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Genres Indie pop, indie rock Years active 2002–present Labels Bumstead, MapleMusic Website myspace.com/boytheband Members Stephen Kozmeniuk
BOY is a Canadian indie pop band, originally the solo project of Whitehorse, Yukon native Stephen Noel Kozmeniuk. Now based in Toronto, the band consists of vocalist and general instrumentalist Kozmeniuk, drummer Maurie Kaufmann, bassist Steve Payne, and guitarists Rolla Olak and James Robertson. The band's debut album was released on Bumstead Records and the second one, Every Page You Turn, on MapleMusic Recordings.
Stephen Kozmeniuk (born 1982) grew up in Whitehorse, Yukon, and has played guitar since age 14. "Boy" was initially his solo project, and he recorded his album using Pro Tools in his bedroom in Whitehorse. In 2002, The Globe and Mail described Boy's music as "art rock with a Brit twist, combined with an ultracool, laid-back attitude". Boy toured nationally in support of its self-titled release in 2003, opening for artists such as Sam Roberts, 54-40 and Broken Social Scene.
Boy then expanded to a five-man band with new members guitarist James Robertson of Toronto; drummer Maurie Kaufmann from Nanaimo, BC; bassist Steve Payne from Winnipeg; and guitarist Rolla Olak from Victoria, BC. The 2004 album Every Page You Turn, produced by Brenndan McGuire of Sloan fame, was recorded on Vancouver Island, in a cabin. The lead single, "Same Old Song", received airplay on rock radio stations across Canada. The band toured Canada along with Pilate, and played the South by Southwest festival in Texas, and the 2005 Summer Sonic Festival in Japan.
- 2002: BOY
- 2003: French Diplomacy (single; Bumstead Records)
- 2003: BOY (Bumstead Records re-release)
- 2004: Every Page You Turn (MapleMusic Recordings)
Year Song Director(s) 2004 "Up In This Town" Matt Eastman "Every Page You Turn" Matt Eastman 2006 "People Come On" 2007 "French Diplomacy" Matt Eastman "Joey" Mark Lomond
- ^ Larocque, Mike (November 3, 2004). "Small-town Boy: Yukon-born rocker Stephen Kozmeniuk gets a warm reception in the big city", Vue Weekly (472). Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- ^ a b LeBlanc, Larry (September 11, 2004). "Northern 'Boy' Wonder", Billboard 116 (37): 43–46. Convenience link.
- ^ (October 24, 2004). "Debut", Edmonton Journal, p. B3.
- ^ Harrison, Tom (November 11, 2004). "Boy finds his kindred spirits", The Province, p. B19.
- ^ Kosloski, Kirsten (November 4, 2004). "Let's hear it for the Boy: Whitehorse wonder kid Stephen Kozmeniuk dispels the myth of the rock star", Fast Forward Weekly. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- ^ Gill, Alexandra (May 13, 2002). "West Coast buzz bands: Boy", The Globe and Mail, p. R3.
- ^ Devlin, Mike (November 11, 2004). "Boy, this Island pair helps Yukon rocker mine for gold", Times-Colonist, p. D6.
- ^ Stuffco, Jered (December 9, 2004). "Bedroom Boy: Stephen Kozmeniuk gets off the island", Now 24 (15). Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- ^ Fouchard, Steven (May 19, 2005). "Busy Boy: But the excitement is lost on this Whitehorse songwriter", Hour. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- ^ Khanna, Vish (December 2004). "Pop rocks: Boy: Every Page You Turn", Exclaim!. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crowbar (Canadian band) — Crowbar Also known as King Biscuit Boy and Crowbar Origin Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Genres Rock Years active 1970 (1970)–1975 … Wikipedia
Pretty Boy Floyd (Canadian band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Pretty Boy Floyd Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Origin = flagicon|Canada British Columbia, Canada Instrument = Genre = Hard rock, Glam metal Occupation = Years active = 1987 1990 Label … Wikipedia
Boy (disambiguation) — A boy is a young male, usually human, or may refer to a man regardless of age.Boy, Boys, The Boy, or The Boys may also refer to:Musicongs* Boy (I Need You) , by Mariah Carey * Boy (Erasure song), by Erasure * Boy (Book of Love song) , by Book of… … Wikipedia
Boy George — Infobox Musical artist Name = Boy George Background = solo singer Birth name = George Alan O Dowd Also known as = Angela Dust, The Twin Born = birth date and age|1961|6|14|df=yes Origin = Eltham, London, England Occupation = Singer, songwriter,… … Wikipedia
Canadian Bacon — Infobox Film | name =Canadian Bacon caption =U.S. Movie poster for Canadian Bacon director = Michael Moore producer = Michael Moore writer = Michael Moore starring = Alan Alda John Candy Bill Nunn Kevin J. O Connor Rhea Perlman Kevin Pollak G.D.… … Wikipedia
Canadian Idol (season 2) — Canadian Idol fans in front of the CTV studio in Toronto in August 2004 The second season of Canadian Idol debuted on June 1, 2004, and became the most watched show in Canada, drawing in over 3 million viewers each week. Auditions were held in… … Wikipedia
Canadian Forces Medical Service — Badge Active Country … Wikipedia
Canadian Idol (season 6) — Canadian Idol Season 6 Broadcast from June 3, 2008–September 10, 2008 Judges Sass Jordan Farley Flex Zack Werner Jake Gold Host(s) Ben Mulroney … Wikipedia
Canadian identity — refers to the set of characteristics and symbols that many Canadians regard as expressing their unique place and role in the world. Primary influences on the Canadian identity are the existence of many well established First Nations and the… … Wikipedia
BOY — is a Canadian indie pop band.The band consists of vocalist and general instrumentalist Stephen Kozmeniuk, drummer Maurie Kaufmann, bassist Steve Payne, guitarist Rolla Olak and guitarist James Robertson. BOY s first two CDs were released on… … Wikipedia