- Matt Szczur
Matt Szczur Chicago Cubs — No. 4 Outfielder, Catcher Born: July 20, 1989
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Bats: Right Throws: Right
Matthew Szczur (pronounced Caesar, born July 20, 1989) is an American professional baseball center fielder in the Chicago Cubs' farm system. He played college football and baseball at Villanova University prior to signing a professional contract with the Cubs in January 2011..
Szczur was born in Cape May Court House, New Jersey, and grew up in Erma, New Jersey, He attended Lower Cape May Regional High School, where he earned varsity letters in football, baseball, and track and field. Szczur was drafted in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of high school by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 38th round, but decided to attend Villanova University instead.
Szczur played wide receiver and special teams for the Wildcats football team. He also played center field for the baseball team. He gained 270 all-purpose yards and scored two touchdowns in a winning effort in the 2009 FCS National Championship.
Szczur signed a contract with the Chicago Cubs organization, which drafted him in the fifth-round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He received a $100,000 signing bonus, with an additional $500,000 if he declined to attend the NFL combine and made a written commitment to baseball before February 10, 2011. He was assigned to the club's short season Class-A team, the Boise Hawks, and first appeared in uniform July 8, 2010. He was then promoted to the club's mid-A team, the Peoria Chiefs on July 27, 2010. He hit .347 in 25 games in 2010.
After the 2010 season, Szczur committed to baseball and signed a $1.5 million deal with the Cubs in January 2011. As he was released from his initial contract and signed a new contract to receive the bonus, he will be eligible in the 2011 Rule 5 draft if not added to the Cubs' 40 man roster.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- ^ Cubs, Matt Szczur have deal ESPN.com, January 18, 2011
- ^ "Player Bio: Matthew Szczur - VILLANOVA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE". Villanova.com. 1989-07-20. http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/szczur_matthew00.html. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- ^ "Cubs pick Lower Township's Matt Szczur in fifth round". pressofAtlanticCity.com. 2010-06-09. http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/article_21ffa1b0-f08c-5017-81ff-3e59d913a287.html. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- ^ http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2011/01/szczur-commits-to-cubs-for-1-5-million/
- ^ http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/03/cubs-new-deal-with-szczur-carries-major-implications/
- ^ "Florida State League Transactions". July 2011. Minorleaguebaseball.com. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_trn&sid=milb&lid=123&ymd=201107. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- ^ "Star of Villanova’s FCS title, Matt Szczur, may help save the life of a 15-month-old girl". nydailynews.com. 2009-12-20. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/12/20/2009-12-20_star_of_villanovas_fcs_title_may_help_save_.html?page=1. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wildcat formation — Base Wildcat Speed Sweep … Wikipedia
New Jersey Sports Writers Association — The New Jersey Sports Writers Association (NJSWA) was founded in 1936. The 75th Anniversary Banquet was held on Sunday, January 30, 2011, at The Pines Manor, Edison, New Jersey. In January of each year, the NJSWA inducts into its hall of … Wikipedia
Midwest League rosters — Below are the full rosters and coaching staff of the 16 teams of Minor League Baseball s Midwest League. Contents 1 Eastern Division 1.1 Bowling Green Hot Rods 1.2 Dayton Dragons 1.3 … Wikipedia
Chicago Cubs minor league players — Below is a partial list of minor league baseball players in the Chicago Cubs system: Contents 1 Players 1.1 Kyler Burke 1.2 Graham Hicks 1.3 Brett Jackson … Wikipedia