- The Best of the Pink Floyd / Masters of Rock
The Best of the Pink Floyd Greatest hits album by Pink Floyd Released 1970 Recorded 1967–1968 Genre Psychedelic rock, space rock, experimental rock, avant-garde Length 29:40 Language English Label Columbia (EMI) Producer Norman Smith and Joe Boyd Pink Floyd compilations chronology The Best of the Pink Floyd / Masters of Rock
Masters of RockFirst of two covers Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
The Best of the Pink Floyd, also issued as Masters of Rock, is a compilation album of early Pink Floyd music, concentrating on singles and album tracks from 1967 to 1968.
Later editions titled Masters of Rock were released in 1974 in Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands, to capitalise on the success of The Dark Side of the Moon. It is one of a series of budget EMI compilations with identical titles, each volume for a different artist. Two different sleeve designs were used: one (by Herman Baas) based on the picture from the centre of the album sleeve for Meddle, with Syd Barrett's face superimposed over the original photo of David Gilmour, who had not yet joined the band during most of the period covered by the album; and a later edition with the title filling the front cover. The latter edition is titled Masters of Rock, Volume 1; subsequent volumes of Masters of Rock featured other artists.
The Best of edition was only issued in mono, while Masters of Rock was notable for containing the first stereo release of "Apples and Oranges". The album was also the only LP source of "It Would Be So Nice" prior to the era of CD re-issues and compilations. The version of "It Would Be So Nice" appearing on this album is the altered version made for airplay, with lyrics mentioning "the Daily Standard" in place of "the Evening Standard". Although Masters of Rock uses the stereo mix of "Paintbox" which previously appeared on Relics in 1971, "Julia Dream" is the original mono mix which is significantly different from, and longer than the Relics stereo mix.
All songs written and sung by Syd Barrett, and are taken from singles, unless otherwise noted.
- Side one
- "Chapter 24" (from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn) – 3:36
- "Matilda Mother" (misspelled "Mathilda Mother" on this album; from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn) – 3:03
- "Arnold Layne" – 2:51
- "Candy and a Currant Bun" – 2:38
- "The Scarecrow" (from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn) – 2:07
- Side two
- "Apples and Oranges" (stereo mix) – 3:01
- "It Would Be So Nice" (alternative version for radio) (Richard Wright) – 3:39
- "Paint Box" (stereo mix) (Wright) – 3:27
- "Julia Dream" (Roger Waters) – 2:28
- "See Emily Play" – 2:50
- Syd Barrett – guitar, vocals
- David Gilmour – guitar, vocals on "Julia Dream" and "It Would Be So Nice" (uncredited)
- Nick Mason – drums, percussion
- Roger Waters – bass guitar, vocals
- Richard Wright – keyboards, piano, organ, vocals (however erroneously credited for playing bass-guitar)
- ^ Ruhlmann, William (2011 [last update]). "Masters of Rock - Pink Floyd | AllMusic". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r46698. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- ^ Illustrated guide to the unofficial albums, counterfeits and fakes (in Italian)
- ^ Fake The Best of the Pink Floyd (1) (in Italian)
- ^ Fake The Best of the Pink Floyd (2) (in Italian)
- ^ Illustrated guide to fake Pink Floyd picture discs (in English)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Best of the Pink Floyd / Masters of Rock — Сборник Pink Floyd Дата выпуска 1970 Записан 1967 1968 Жанр Психоделический рок, прогрессивный рок, космический рок, экспериментальный рок … Википедия
The Best of the Pink Floyd — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda The Best of the Pink Floyd álbum recopilatorio de Pink Floyd Publicación 1970 Grabación 1967 68 … Wikipedia Español
The Best of the Pink Floyd — Infobox Album Name = The Best of the Pink Floyd Type = Compilation album Artist = Pink Floyd Released = 1970 Recorded = 1967 68 Genre = Psychedelic rock, progressive rock Length = Label = Columbia/EMI Producer = Norman Smith and Joe Boyd Reviews … Wikipedia
Pink Floyd — в 1968 году. Слева направо: Ник Мэйсон, Сид Барретт … Википедия
The Dogs of War (Pink Floyd song) — The Dogs of War Song by Pink Floyd from the album A Momentary Lapse of Reason Released September 7, 1987 (UK) September 8, 1987 (US) Recorded October 1986–May 1987 Genre … Wikipedia
The Scarecrow (песня Pink Floyd) — The Scarecrow Исполнитель Pink Floyd Альбом The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Дата выпуска 5 августа 1967 Дата записи … Википедия
Pink Floyd — This article is about the rock band. For the fictional character, see Pink Floyd (fictional character). Pink Floyd … Wikipedia
Pink Floyd—The Wall — For other works related to the Pink Floyd album, see The Wall (Pink Floyd). Pink Floyd The Wall Theatrical release poster Directed by Alan P … Wikipedia
Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Live. Координаты: 40°45′04″ с. ш. 14°29′41″ в. д. / 40.751111° с. ш. 14.494722° в. д. … Википедия
Pink Floyd — en concert à Earls Court le 18 mai 1973. De gauche à droite : David Gilmour à la guitare, Nick Mason … Wikipédia en Français