- Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
Coordinates: The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, known as MSPP, is a graduate college of psychology founded in 1974. With nearly 600 students, MSPP offers 11 graduate academic degree programs and 1 academic graduate certificate across four departments, Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Organizational and Leadership Psychology, and School Psychology. MSPP has three centers committed to social responsibility and community service .
At MSPP, the experiential education model integrates rigorous academic instruction with closely supervised clinical experience.
Students are in the field beginning in the first year. MSPP’s professional field education office provides support and consultation to each student to secure a field placement. This is possible due to the relationships between MSPP and more than 200 training sites- including social service agencies, schools, hospitals, community mental health centers, child guidance clinics, court clinics, college counseling centers, private agencies and corporate settings .
These on-site field experiences, each year of the academic program, are invaluable to the learning and training of MSPP students.
Special Areas of Concentration to Meet Society’s Changing Needs
As a college of psychology, MSPP is committed to training students to meet the needs of underserved populations .
The Lucero Latino Mental Health Training Program is a concentration open to students from many of the graduate programs which offers a unique opportunity to be trained to address the specific mental health needs of Latino patients or clients . The Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center, which sponsors the concentration in Latino Mental Health, was founded by the friends and family of the late Dr. Cynthia Lucero, a graduate of MSPP . Lectures and scholarships in Cynthia’s memory are also sponsored by the Lucero Center . The academic concentration provides relevant coursework and summer immersion programs in Costa Rica and Ecuador focused on improving Spanish language skills and exposure to Latino cultures through community service mental health work.
One distinguishing MSPP program is designed to Train Vets to Treat Vets . Recently awarded a grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, MSPP is working to recruit veterans and train them to meet the mental health needs of their fellow service men and women. This program is expanding quickly, due to a rising concern for the mental health needs of the veterans returning home. MSPP is a proud participant in the Veteran’s Administration Yellow Ribbon Program and provides matching grant assistance to eligible veterans .
One of MSPP’s current student veterans, Janice, explained her desire to pursue a degree with MSPP: “My interest in psychology started in basic training when I began to meet so many different people from different places. I pursued my degree while in the service where my interest in families and military life/culture flourished. . . . A unique aspect of the MSPP community that drew me in was the Veteran population.” 
Training in Child and Adolescent Mental Health  enables graduates to serve this critically underserved population. Field placements with children and adolescents provide clinical experience and close supervision. MSPP offers an intensive specialization in our Clinical doctoral program called “Children and Families: Adversity and Resilience” . The School Psychology department has also expanded their program offerings to include both specialist training and doctoral level training. These expansions have all been motivated by the desire to meet the mental health needs of children.
MSPP Academic Programs
Organizational and Leadership Psychology
- Leadership Psychology, PsyD (Blended)
- Applied Psychology: Higher Education Student Personnel Administration, MA (Online)
- Counseling Psychology and Global Mental Health, MA 
- Organizational Psychology, MA (Blended, Online)
- Executive Coaching, Graduate Certificate (Blended) 
MSPP is located in the West Roxbury neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. One of the many reasons students choose MSPP is due to the close proximity to downtown Boston (about a 20 minute drive) and the broad access to a diverse number of field training sites serving a variety of populations.
One MSPP student blogger, Haneen, recently shared her love for Boston. Here is a sample from her blog, "Making a Decision: Location, Location, Location!" 
“Yes, Boston is a big, thriving city! There is so much to do, right at your fingertips when living within driving distance of MSPP. There are numerous museums, shopping centers, and delicious restaurants. There is a diverse population, and a city atmosphere . . .
Beyond all these fun things, another draw of Boston is the academic atmosphere of this city. As there are so many universities in the area, anywhere you go in Boston you are likely to meet another student or come across a great library or place to study. Additionally, because of the academic atmosphere in this city, there are many great practicum, internship, and learning opportunities all around Boston. Overall, being in the Boston area is definitely a big benefit of coming to MSPP. There are so many great opportunities right at your fingertips both at MSPP and in Boston, in general.”
MSPP is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA)  and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) . The MA/CAGS in School Psychology is an approved program by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
Continuing and Community Education
MSPP offers Professional Continuing Education for Psychologists, Social Workers, Nurses, Mental Health Counselors, School Psychologists, Counselors, Other Mental Health Professionals, Educators, businessmen and women, Psychotherapists, and the community.
In addition, the Freedman Center for Child and Family Development, offers a range of continuing and community education courses. The community education courses held at the Freedman Center are designed for parents and families navigating the issues children of all ages confront. Some of this programming includes New Parents and New Mothers groups, along with Music and Movement classes .
The Freedman Center offers training opportunities for students from all MSPP graduate programs.
Notes and references
- ^ MSPP Home Page - www.mspp.edu
- ^ "Community - Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/community/default.asp
- ^ "Graduate Psychology School Field Placement & Training" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/field-placement/default.asp
- ^ "The Graduate Psychology Program (GPE) is Addressing the Mental and Behavioral Health Needs of Underserved Populations" - http://www.apa.org/about/gr/issues/gpe/populations.aspx
- ^ "Latino Mental Health Training Program - MSPP Lucero Center" - http://www.mspp.edu/community/lucero-center/default.asp
- ^ "Remembering Dr. Cynthia Lucero: The Marathon Solution" - http://bostonmarathoncoach.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/remembering-dr-cynthia-lucero/
- ^ "Meet Our Lucero Scholars: The Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center at MSPP" - http://www.mspp.edu/community/lucero-center/scholars.asp
- ^ "MSPP Continues Commitment to the Mental Health of Veterans" - http://www.mspp.edu/about/pressroom/press-releases/2010-03-08.asp
- ^ "Find Yellow Ribbon Schools" - http://www.armedforcesedu.com/get-my-degree/yellow-ribbon/?source=100777
- ^ "Recognizing Student Veterans and Military in Observance of Veteran's Day - http://www.mspp.edu/community/diversity-and-difference/veterans-month-2010.asp
- ^ PsyD Program, Concentration in Childhood, Adolescence, and Family - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/psyd/caf.asp
- ^ "Children & Families of Adversity and Resilience (PsyD concentration)" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/psyd/adversity.asp
- ^ "PsyD Program (Doctorate in Clinical Psychology) - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/psyd/default.asp
- ^ "Masters Program in Counseling Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/counseling-psych-ma/default.asp
- ^ "Community Mental Health Masters Program" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/community-mental-health-ma/default.asp
- ^ "Masters in Counseling Psychology and Primary Care, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/primary-care-ma/default.asp
- ^ "Forensic Psychology Masters Program, MSPP" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/forensic-ma/default.asp
- ^ "PsyD Program in Leadership Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/leadership-psyd/default.asp
- ^ "Master of Arts in Applied Psychology: Higher Education Student Personnel Administration, Online" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/applied-psych-hespa-ma/default.asp
- ^ Masters in Counseling Psychology and Global Mental Health, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/global-mental-health-ma/default.asp
- ^ Masters Program in Organizational Psychology - The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/organizational-psych-ma/default.asp
- ^ "Executive Coaching Program - The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/executive-coaching/default.asp
- ^ PsyD Program in School Psychology - The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/school-psyd/default.asp
- ^ "School Psychology Masters (MA) & Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS)" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/school-ma-cags/default.asp
- ^ "Making a Decision: Location, Location, Location!" - http://blog.mspp.edu/2011/04/13/making-a-decision-location-location-location/%20
- ^ "Accreditation" - http://apa.org/education/grad/program-accreditation.aspx
- ^ "New Englad Association of Schools and Colleges: Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) - http://cihe.neasc.org/
- ^ "National Association of School Psychologists" - http://www.nasponline.org/
- ^ "Continuing Education Programs for Psychologists" - http://www.apa.org/education/ce/index.aspx
- ^ "Community Services at the Freedman Center in Newton, MA" - http://freedman.mspp.edu/community.html
• School Website (http://www.mspp.edu/)
• MSPP Continuing Education Website (www.mspp.edu/ce)
• Freedman Center for Child and Family Development (http://freedman.mspp.edu/)
• Brenner Center for Psychological Assessment and Consultation (http://www.mspp.edu/community/brenner-center/default.asp)
• Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center (http://www.mspp.edu/community/lucero-center/default.asp)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Massachusetts College of Art and Design — MassArt, May 2009 Established 1873 Type Public Endowment … Wikipedia
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences — Collegiate Seal Established December 8, 1823 Type Private Non profit organization Endowment … Wikipedia
Massachusetts Institute of Technology — Motto Mens et Manus Motto in English Mind and Hand … Wikipedia
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston — Faculty of Fine Arts, Alexandria University Established 1876 Type Private President … Wikipedia
School of the Art Institute of Chicago — Location 37 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603 Information Type private, non profit corporation Established 1866 … Wikipedia
Professional wrestling — For the Olympic sport, see Wrestling. For other uses, see Professional wrestling (disambiguation). Professional wrestling A professional wrestling match. Two wrestlers grapple in a wrestling ring while a referee (in white, right) looks on … Wikipedia
Professional practice of behavior analysis — The professional practice of behavior analysis is the fourth domain of behavior analysis. The other three are behaviorism, experimental analysis of behavior, and applied behavior analysis. [Cooper, et al. p. 20] The professional practice of… … Wikipedia
Psychology (The separation of) from philosophy — The separation of psychology from philosophy Studies in the sciences of mind 1815–1879 Edward S.Reed THE IMPOSSIBLE SCIENCE Traditional metaphysics The consensus of European opinion during and immediately after the Napoleonic era was that… … History of philosophy
Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy — The Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy is an educational organization for psychiatrists, psychologists, other mental health professionals, and other healthcare professionals (like registered nurses, social workers, and school… … Wikipedia
New England School of Law — Motto Jus et Auctoritas Established 1908 School type Private Endowment US$ 40.5 million Dean … Wikipedia