- Maryland Route 562
Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length: 1.39 mi (2.24 km) Major junctions South end: Markoe Road near Monkton North end: MD 138 near Monkton Location Counties: Baltimore Highway system ← MD 561 MD 564 →
Maryland Route 562 (MD 562) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. The state highway runs 1.39 miles (2.24 km) from Markoe Road north to MD 138 near Monkton in northeastern Baltimore County. MD 562 was constructed in the early 1930s.
MD 562 begins as Old York Road at its intersection with Markoe Road. Old York Road continues south as a county highway to MD 145 in Jacksonville. The state highway heads north through farmland. MD 562 veers northwest onto Troyer Road as Old York Road continues north as a county highway toward MD 23 in Shawsville. The state highway reaches its terminus at a T-intersection with MD 138, which continues north as Troyer Road and heads west as Sheppards Road to the hamlet of Monkton.
Old York Road was an alternate, less-direct route for traffic between Towson and Maryland Line compared to York Road, which is now MD 45. MD 562 is part of one extant stretch of the road; another segment is MD 439 from Shawsville to Maryland Line. The Troyer Road section of MD 562 was constructed as a concrete road in 1933. The Old York Road segment of MD 562 was built as a macadam road in 1934. The state highway has changed very little since the 1930s.
Destinations Notes 0.00 Old York Road south / Markoe Road west Southern terminus 0.65 Old York Road north MD 562 veers north onto Troyer Road 1.39 MD 138 (Troyer Road/Sheppards Road) – Norrisville, Hereford Northern terminus 1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- ^ a b c "Highway Location Reference: Baltimore County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2010. http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Location/2010_BALTIMORE.pdf. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- ^ a b Google, Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 562 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Old+York+Rd&daddr=Troyer+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FSjjWwIdpL5v-w%3BFe4mXAId_qVv-w&mra=ls&sll=39.594512,-76.648436&sspn=0.030358,0.077162&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- ^ a b Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1931–1934 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. 1934-12-28. p. 321. http://www.archive.org/details/reportofstateroa1931mary. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1933 ed.).
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1935 ed.).
Roads in Baltimore County, Maryland State highways U.S. Highways Interstate Highways
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maryland Route 138 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 439 — Old York Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 2 — Solomons Island Road, Ritchie Highway … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 144 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 108 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 140 — Reisterstown Rd., Westminster Pike, Taneytown Pike … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 261 — Willows Road, Bayside Road, Chesapeake Avenue, 7th Avenue, Bay Avenue, Walnut Avenue, Lake Shore Drive, Friendship Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 648 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 129 — Park Heights Avenue … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 25 — Falls Road Ro … Wikipedia