- Chinese bakery
Chinese bakeries in big cities like
Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and across the world in Chinatowns, serve traditional Chinese goods such as mooncakes, sun cakes, and wife cakes. Such establishments may also serve tea, coffee, and other drinks.
There are generally two types of Chinese bakeries:
Hong Kongstyled bakeries and Taiwanstyled bakeries. The baked goods in these two types of bakeries differ although they may sell some of the same goods. For instance, the Bread Cake was developed in Taiwan styled bakeries while the Cocktail bunis a Hong Kong style product. Hong Kong, in particular drew its western influence from the pre-1997 British colonial and European style western pastries. Another type is Malaysian Chinese style bakeries which can be found in Malaysian cities with large Chinese populations, such as Penang, Ipohand Malaccaand offer certain innovations that cannot be found in China itself.
Almond Biscuit: A golden, delicate cookie with a light almond taste.
Cha Siu Baau: This bun can be steamed or baked and is filled with roast pork and onions.
* Cocktail Bun: These are sweet and filled with shredded coconut.
Curry Beef Triangle
* Egg Tart: This is a delicate pastry tart with a lightly sweet golden egg custard filling.
* Ham and Egg Bun
Lotus seed bun
Marry girl cake
Mooncake: The traditional variations are heavy lotus seed paste filled pastry, sometimes with 1-2 egg yolks in its centre. Modern variations have altered both the pastry crust and filling for more variety. These are served at the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Nuo Mi Zi: A sweet glutinous rice dumpling with different fillings such as red bean paste, black sesame paste, and peanuts.
Paper Wrapped Cake: Spongy and light, these are plain chiffon cakes wrapped in paper.
* Peanut Butter Bun
* Pineapple Bun: This bun does not contain pineapples, but derived its name from the 'pineapple-like' appearance of the top which is a tender crispy, sweet, golden crust.
* Pineapple Filled Bun: Like a pineapple bun, except with fillings such as custard and
red bean paste.
White Sugar Sponge Cake
* Wife Cake: A round flaky pastry with a translucent white winter melon paste centre.
Bubble Tea("Boba"): Large tapiocapearls are served in tea with milk.
* Milk tea: black tea sweetened with sweet evaporated milk.
Coffee: usually served with light cream.
* Yuanyang: a blend of tea and coffee, popular in
* [http://www.chinatownology.com/bean_paste_pastry.htm Bean paste pastry, Tau Sa Piah]
* [http://www.chinatownology.com/chinese_pastries.html Chinatownology: List of most popular, most interesting Chinese pastries]
* [http://www.foodsf.com/ Foodsf.com is an Online Chinese Bakery - Deliver to anywhere in US]
* [http://www.chinatownnewyorkcity.blogspot.com Chinatown New York City Blog that talks about types of Chinese baked goods and where to buy them in Chinatown]
* [http://www.taipan-bakery.com/ Taipan Bakeries - Chinese bakery chain in New York City]
* [http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blbakeryquiz.htm Chinese bakery photo quiz]
* [http://chinesefood.about.com/od/desserts/ More information about Chinese desserts]
* [http://www.littleviews.com/home/newyork/chinatown-bakeries.cfm?KW=&date_range= Chinese bakeries in New York]
* [http://www.chinesebakery.co.uk Tai Pan Chinese Bakery In Wing Yip Centre - Purley]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chinese bakery products — (Chinese: 中式糕點; pinyin: zhōng shì gāo diǎn; literally Chinese style cakes and snacks or Chinese: 唐餅; pinyin: táng bǐng; literally Tang style baked goods ) consists of pastries, cakes, snacks, and desserts of largely Chinese origin, though some… … Wikipedia
Chinese Bakery (song) — Chinese Bakery Single by The Auteurs from the album Now I m a Cowboy … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Uganda — Total population 7,000 (2010 estimate) Regions with significant populations Kampala Related ethnic groups Overseas Chinese The number of Chinese residents in Uganda has rapidly expanded in the past decade along with the rise of trade ties … Wikipedia
Chinese Islamic cuisine — This article is part of the series … Wikipedia
Chinese Historical Society of America — The Chinese Historical Society of America (Chinese: 美国华人历史学会; pinyin: Měiguó Huárén Lìshǐ Xuéhuì; abbreviated CHSA) is the oldest and largest archive and history center documenting the Chinese American experience in the United States. It was… … Wikipedia
Chinese American Service League — The Chinese American Service League (CASL) is non profit agency which is based in Chicago, Illinois and which provides social services such as English language classes, job training and child care for newly arrived Chinese American immigrants. It … Wikipedia
Chinese tallow — Taxobox name = Chinese tallow image width = 250px image caption = Chinese tallow tree leaves and blossom buds regnum = Plantae divisio = Magnoliophyta classis = Magnoliopsida ordo = Malpighiales familia = Euphorbiaceae subfamilia = Euphorbioideae … Wikipedia
List of Chinese dishes — This article is part of the series … Wikipedia
American Born Chinese — Infobox Book name = American Born Chinese title orig = translator = image caption = Cover art of the first edition author = Gene Luen Yang illustrator = Gene Luen Yang cover artist = country = flagicon|USA USA language = English series = genre =… … Wikipedia
Kee Wah Bakery — is a chain of bakery stores in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and in the Los Angeles area of the United States (California). Kee Wah was originally founded in Hong Kong in 1938 by Mr. Wong Yip Wing (1911–1999). The company is well known in Hong Kong and… … Wikipedia