- Martin Harrison (poet)
He published poems and limited edition books in London and New Zealand before his first main collection, The Distribution of Voice (University of Queensland Press),appeared in Australia in 1993. In the 80s Harrison worked as a literary journalist and reviewer as well as a producer for ABC Radio, where he was closely associated with sound art, new music and experimental radio work. His 1997 poetry collection, The Kangaroo Farm (Paperbark Press) was shortlisted for the Victorian Premiers Award, and his 2001 collection Summer (Paperbark Press) won the Wesley Michel Wright Award for poetry. A selected poems, Wild Bees (University of Western Australia Press) was shortlisted for both the South Australian Premiers Awards and the ACT Poetry Prize.
Harrison has written extensively about Australian poetry. Some of his essays are collected in the internationally acclaimed volume "Who Wants to Create Australia?" (Halstead Press). This book was a Times Literary Supplement book of the year selection for 2004.
His poetry has been translated into Mandarin (A Kangaroo Farm trans Shaoyang Zhang, Jiangsu, Nanjing 2008)and into French.
There is a wide range of critical commentary on his work, principally in Australian and some UK journals. In the main, these views focus either on the detailed micro-perceptual approach to environment and natural phenomena in his work or on the self-reflective, time filled nature of selfhood in his work or they focus, more directly, on the metaphysical nature of many of the poems. British critic David Morley has defined Harrison as the writer of "some of the most brilliant metaphysical nature poems of our time." Michael Farrell, however, considers the subjective side of his work in the preface to the Out of the Box anthology (Puncher and Wattmann, Sydney 2009) describing his poetry as about selfhood caught in the process of learning, in which "learning the self and world are in alternation." Nigel Wheale captures a similar sense, reviewing The Kangaroo Farm in the London Review of Books (20:19, 1998), describing the poems as attempts to create "livable locales" and a form of pursuit for places where, in Wheale's words, "ordinary happiness might reside."
- Leisure: Poems, Limited Edition, illustr. Denise Riley, Great Works, London 1978
- Truce: Poems, Limited Letterpress Edition, Alan Loney’s Hawk Press, Wellington, New Zealand, 1979
- 1975: Poems, Limited Edition, Ferry Press, London, 1980
- The Distribution of Voice: Poems, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia Queensland, 1993
- The Kangaroo Farm, Paper Bark Press, Brooklyn NSW, 1997
- Summer, Paper Bark Press, Sydney, 2001
- Our ABC: A Dying Culture, Currency House, Strawberry Hills NSW Australia, 2004.
- Who wants to Create Australia? Essays on Poetry and Ideas in Contemporary Australia, Halstead, Sydney, Australia, 2004.
- Music: Poems and Prose, Vagabond Press, Newtown, NSW, 2005
- A Kangaroo Farm, trans Shaoyang Zhang, Jiang-su Literature and Art Publishing, Nanjing, 2008
- Wild Bees: New and Selected Poems, University of Western Australia Press, Perth WA, 2008
- New and Selected Poems: Wild Bees, Shearsman Books, Exeter UK, 2008
- ^ Birns, Nicholas; McNeer, Rebecca (2007-11-01). A companion to Australian literature since 1900. Camden House. p. 197. ISBN 9781571133496. http://books.google.com/books?id=3PhyjHQO38gC&pg=PA197. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- ^ Morley, David, "on John F. Deane and Martin Harrison", Poetry Review 99 (1)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Martin Harrison — For the Australian poet, see Martin Harrison (poet). Martin Harrison Date of birth: September 20, 1967 (1967 09 20) (age 44) Place of birth: Livermore, California Career information … Wikipedia
Martin (name) — Martin may either be a surname or given name. Martin Gender Male Origin Word/Name English, Latin Meaning Settlement by a lake English, Of Mars, Warlike Latin … Wikipedia
Martin Kiszko — Martin Edmund Kiszko (born February 9, 1958) is a British composer, musicologist and librettist. He is best known for his film and television scores. Contents 1 Biography 2 Career highlights 3 Full credits list: Film, TV, concert and multi media… … Wikipedia
David Martin — or Dave Martin may refer to: Contents 1 Politicians 2 Arts and entertainment 3 Sportsmen … Wikipedia
List of people from Michigan — A list of notable people from the U.S. state of Michigan. Bolding indicates places in Michigan. People from Michigan are sometimes referred to as Michiganders, Michiganians, or more rarely as Michiganites. Actors, entertainers and… … Wikipedia
List of Guggenheim Fellowships awarded in 1999 — U.S. and Canadian Fellows= * Chris Aiken, Choreographer and Dancer, Minneapolis; Teaching Specialist in Theatre Arts and Dance, University of Minnesota: Choreography. * Jonathan Ames, Writer, New York City: Fiction. * Barbara Watson Andaya,… … Wikipedia
List of Australian poets — The poets listed below were either citizens or residents of Australia and published the bulk of their poetry whilst living there.A B*Arthur Henry Adams (1872–1936) *Robert Adamson (born 1944) *Adam Aitken (born 1960) [cite web title = Adam Aitken … Wikipedia
September 20 — Events* 451 The Battle of Chalons takes place in North Eastern France. Flavius Aetius s victory over Attila the Hun in a day of combat, is considered to be the largest battle in the ancient world. *1187 Saladin begins the Siege of Jerusalem.… … Wikipedia
Peter Lindbergh — Peter Lindbergh, eigentlich Peter Brodbeck (* 23. November 1944 in Lissa (Wartheland) heute Polen) ist ein deutscher Fotograf, Werbe und Dokumentarfilmer, der durch Modefotografie mit Top Models international bekannt wurde. Lindbergh gilt als ein … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of people from Newcastle upon Tyne — This is a list of famous or notable people born in, or associated with, Newcastle upon Tyne in England. Born in Newcastle*Rudolf Abel Soviet super spy *Thomas Addison Diagnostician (Addison s Disease) *Donna Air Television presenter *Mark… … Wikipedia