- Mark Stoermer
Background information Birth name Mark August Stoermer Born June 28, 1977 Houston, Texas, United States Origin Las Vegas, Nevada, United States Genres Alternative rock, Post-punk revival, Psychedelic rock, Alternative country Occupations Musician, songwriter, producer Instruments Bass guitar, vocals, guitar, trumpet, piano, keyboards, percussion, harmonica. Years active 2002–present Labels Island Def Jam Associated acts The Killers, Howling Bells, Negative Ponies, Habit Rouge Website markstoermer.com
Notable instruments Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, American-made stock 2004 Jazz Bass, Hofner
Mark Stoermer was born in Texas to an Australian father and an American mother, they moved to Las Vegas when Stoermer was three years old. His father was a big band style musician. Stoermer graduated from Chaparral High School in 1995, where he played trumpet in the Jazz ensemble. His early musical influences included Hip-hop bands such as Public Enemy and N.W.A. and later rock bands such as Nirvana, The Beatles and Pink Floyd. Stoermer began playing lead guitar for a number of local bands including Habit Rouge and The Negative Ponies. It was while playing with The Negative Ponies that he met Dave Keuning and Brandon Flowers who were performing as an early incarnation of The Killers. He was a fan of the band's unique sound and was often present at the band's gigs. In September 2002 he was offered the opportunity to become the band's permanent bass player, he accepted and completed the band's line up along with Ronnie Vannucci Jr..  Before The Killers got signed, Stoermer worked as a medical courier. Stoermer also studied Philosophy at UNLV and took music classes while in the marching band there.
Stoermer has co-written many Killers songs including "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine", "Smile Like You Mean It", "Somebody Told Me", "Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll", "On Top", "When You Were Young", "Bones", "Read My Mind", "Bling (Confession of a King)", "Human", "Spaceman" and "A Dustland Fairytale".
Another Life (2011)
Stoermer's debut solo album titled "Another Life" was released on November 1, 2011, as a free download for a limited time, a CD and vinyl will follow at a yet to be announced date. The album will be self-released.
Stoermer has so far posted three tracks from the album online; "Everyone Loves The Girl", "The Way We Were Before" and "Amber Bough".
1. Weary Soul
2. Shadow In A Dream
3. Everyone Loves The Girl
4. Need A Hand
5. Amber Bough
6. The Way We Were Before
7. The Haunts
8. No Time
9. There Is No Is
10. Another Life
- Fender Jazz Basses
- Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
- Fender Vintage Precision Bass
- Guild Starfire Bass
- Hofner 500/1
- Gibson SG Guitar. - On the Song For Reasons Unknown
- All are strung with medium-gauge GHS Bass Boomers. Basses are tuned to standard or down a 1/2 step.
- Ampeg SVT Classic Head and 8x10" SVT Cabinets
- Hiwatt Custom 200 Head (one dirty, one clean) and Hiwatt SE-1510 4x10+1x15 cabs (x2, one rig with effects, one clean)
- Fender Deville 2x12"
- BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal
- BOSS GE-7 EQ pedal
- Big Muff Sovtek Big Muff pedal (for live performances of 'Andy, You’re a Star')
- BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver (modified) (x2)
- BOSS GEB-7 Bass EQ (for volume boost)
- tc electronic chorus/flanger
- MXR Phase 100
- Big Muff pi (electro harmonix keeley modded)
- Zaolla Artist and Zaolla Silverline series cables as instrument leads, cable speakers, and cable snakes
Picks: Dunlop Nylon - 1.00mm
Mark Stoermer mainly plays with a pick. He says "I love the punch and grit of a pick. . . I do a lot of unconscious palm muting. I love how you can instantly get that clunky tone with shorter notes. It's a great sound."
He also aims to make the bass a "half percussion instrument and half melodic instrument". Stoermer feels that "You can add to a song’s melodic side without taking away from the vocals. That’s my favorite kind of bass playing." His signature bass sound, featured in songs including "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine", "Somebody Told Me", "Move Away", "Forget About What I Said", and "Joy Ride" has influenced many other bands and even a genre of music in bass-driven New Wave/Synth Rock.
- ^ a b c d e Stickland, Britt. "Mark Stoermer-Killer Instinct" Bass Player Magazine. February 1, 2005.
- ^ Kalil, Mike. "IN DEPTH: killers rising" Las Vegas Review Journal. Sept 18, 2005.
- ^ "Cover Feature: The Killers - Mark Stoermer" Bass Guitar Magazine June 2009 Iss. #43
- ^ Fox, Brian. "The Killers Mark Stoermer On Playing With A Pick" Bass Player Magazine. Feb 1, 2010.
- ^ "Howling Bells reveal new album release date | News". Nme.Com. 2011-06-20. http://www.nme.com/news/howling-bells/57448. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- ^ "Killers man in the studio with Howling Bells | News". Nme.Com. 2011-01-17. http://www.nme.com/news/howling-bells/54596. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- ^ a b http://twitter.com/markstoermer
- ^ http://soundcloud.com/user4042663-1/sets
- ^ http://www.thekillersfansite.com/article%20pics/bassmag609/BasscoverfeatureJune096.jpg
- ^ Stickland, Britt. "Mark Stoermer-Killer Instinct"
- ^ Hiwatt Official Website: Artists
- The Killers official site, from Island Records
- The Killers official site (U.K.), from the Vertigo label
- Mark Stoermer Facebook Fan Group
- Cover Feature: Bass Guitar Magazine from Bass Guitar Magazine June 2009 Iss.
- Video of 'Jenny' from V Festival 2009 featuring Mark's signature playing style
The Killers Studio albums Compilations Extended playsThe Killers Demo Live albums/DVDsLive from the Royal Albert Hall Singles Christmas songs Other songs"Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" • "Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll" World ToursHot Fuss Tour • Sam's Town Tour • Day & Age World Tour Related
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mark Stoermer — Nom Mark August Störmer Naissance 28 juin 1977 Houston … Wikipédia en Français
Mark August Stoermer — Mark Stoermer Datos generales Nombre real Mark August Stoermer Nacimiento 28 de junio de 1977, Houston, Texas … Wikipedia Español
The Killers — Not to be confused with The Kills. For other uses, see Killers (disambiguation) and Killer (disambiguation). The Killers The Killers in concert Background information … Wikipedia
Hot Fuss — For the 2007 action comedy film, see Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuss Studio album by The Killers Released … Wikipedia
The Killers — Pour les films, voir Les Tueurs. The Killers Th … Wikipédia en Français
The Killers (groupe) — The Killers The Killers The Killers en concert en 2006. De gauche à droite: Dave Keuning, Ronnie Vannucci Jr., Brandon Flowers, and Mark Stoermer. Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
The Killers — Datos generales … Wikipedia Español
Sam's Town — Infobox Album Name = Sam s Town Type = studio Artist = The Killers Released = October 3, 2006 Recorded = 2005–2006 Genre = Alternative rock, post punk revival Length = 44:14 Label = Island, Vertigo Producer = Flood, Alan Moulder Reviews =… … Wikipedia
Hot Fuss — álbum de estudio de The Killers Publicación 7 de junio, 2004 … Wikipedia Español
Live from the Royal Albert Hall — Концертный альбом The Killers Дата выпуска 9 ноября 2009 Записан 5 6 июля 2009 года, Альберт холл Жанр Инди рок, новая волна, постпанк … Википедия