- Maria La Del Barrio (Philippine TV series)
Maria La Del Barrio Format Drama, Romance Created by Inés Rodena Written by Dexter Hemedez
Jimuel dela Cruz
Directed by Rory B. Quintos
Richard V. Somes
Starring Erich Gonzales
Opening theme "Patuloy ang Pangarap" by Angeline Quinto Country of origin Philippines Language(s) Filipino, English Production Executive producer(s) Sackey Prince Pendatun
Editor(s) Joy Buenaventura
Ayen del Carmen
Running time 30-45 minutes Production company(s) Televisa
Broadcast Original channel ABS-CBN Picture format NTSC (480i) Original run August 15, 2011 – present Chronology Related shows María la del Barrio (Mexico) External links Website
Maria La Del Barrio (lit. Maria of the Neighborhood) is a Philippine remake of the Mexican drama María la del Barrio airing on ABS-CBN. It stars Erich Gonzales and Enchong Dee. It is part of the network's "Primetime Bida" offering.
In 1996 and 2000, two telenovelas were distributed by ABS-CBN; in 1997 Maria Mercedes and in 2000 Rosalinda were both distributed on the network airing at the prime time slot.
After GMA Network remade and two of Thalia's soap operas; MariMar and Rosalinda, ABS-CBN decides to remake Maria La Del Barrio that was first aired in 1996 on RPN. It was the original Mexican telenovela dubbed in Filipino language. The series originally had 75 forty-five minute episodes. At the same time, Thalia also sung the Filipino version entitled Mariang Taga-Baryo under her Philippine album Nandito Ako.
Production started February 2011. The teaser trailer was released in March 11, 2011 after TV Patrol. The series was initially part of ABS-CBN's upcoming line-up of afternoon dramas, Kapamilya Gold, together with other television series, Nasaan Ka Elisa?, Mula Sa Puso, and Hiyas. Several teasers was also released stating the show's premiere in April 2011. But there were speculations that the production had to re-film because the network was not convinced with the outcome. Also, some of the characters were re-cast. Inno Martin was supposedly to play the role of Vladimir Dela Vega, but the role was given later to Arron Villaflor. The role was initially offered to Enrique Gil. Gil had to let go of the role due to conflicting schedules. Inno Martin was cast to the role and appeared in the TV series' teaser. When Maria La Del Barrio was reshot, the role was again recast and offered to AJ Perez. Villaflor got the role after Perez' untimely demise. Also the role of Vanessa de la Vega was supposedly for Tricia Santos but later given to Jane Oineza. Filming then resumed in May. In July 2011, teasers were released stating that the upcoming remake is slated to be on a "primetime" slot and not on the afternoon. It is set to premiere on August 15, 2011, replacing Mula Sa Puso.
Maria Hernandez is a charcoal maker who dreams of making furniture in her own shop. Much like her mother Sandra, who died years ago in a fire leaving Maria orphaned. Maria grows up with Sandra’s newly-met friend Casilda in barrio Munting Ilog. When Casilda falls ill, Maria is forced to seek help from Father Honorio for added work. This leads her to meet Fernando Dela Vega, the owner of Amore Crafts, one of the country’s top furniture companies. Fernando takes Maria to work for his family as a maid. Unknown yet to Maria, Fernando was the former love of her mother, Sandra. And that Fernando’s wife Victoria, is Sandra’s former best friend and business partner. Sandra & Victoria founded Amore Crafts, but Victoria double-crossed Sandra taking both her boyfriend and ownership of Amore. But before the fire, Sandra had bequeathed her shares to Maria, making Maria owner of 50% of Amore Designs. Working for the Dela Vegas leads Maria to meet, for the second time, Luis Dela Vega, the eldest of the Dela Vega children. Maria had met and admired Luis before, seeing his work in Viscera, a small furniture shop. But Luis pays to her no mind. Worse, Luis, having had problems with his father Fernando, begins to suspect Maria to be Fernando’s mistress. This through the suspicions of Soraya, his 'cousin' who is secretly in love with him. Luis makes Maria fall in love with him, with the intention of hurting Maria and making her leave. But despite this, he falls in love with Maria. And Maria, despite the pain, cannot help herself from loving Luis. But their love is put to the test by several trials.
Cast and Characters
- Arron Villaflor as Vladimir de la Vega
- Angel Aquino as Victoria Montenegro de la Vega
- Ian Veneracion as Don Fernando de la Vega
- Assunta De Rossi as Sandra Hernandez/Nelia Kayanan
- Jake Roxas as David
- Jane Oineza as Vanessa de la Vega
- Dennis Padilla as Chito Kayanan
- Miles Ocampo as Sunshine Kayanan
- Paw Diaz as Soraya Montenegro
- K Brosas as Carlota
- Katya Santos as Cha-Cha
- Justin Gonzales as Pedro
- Gio Alvarez as Anot
- Badjie Mortiz as Urbano
- Atoy Co as Mang Doro
- Isay Alvarez as Calixta
- Peewee O'Hara as Berta
- Dionne Monsanto as Anna
- Erika Padilla as Liz
- Frances Ignacio as Jessica
- Fred Payawan as Kevin
- Rolando Inocencio as Padre Honorio
- Chiqui del Carmen as Lupe
- Auriette Divina as Amber
- Joed Serrano as Attorney Parco
- Maritess Joaquin as Marnette Seraspi
- Ai Ai delas Alas as Casilda Dimaculangan
- Christian Vasquez as Manuel Hernandez
- Timothy Chan as Young Luis Dela Vega
- Kimberly Fulgar as Young Maria Hernandez
After the phenomenal hit of Mula Sa Puso, getting 26.0% ratings on its finale, Maria La Del Barrio continued its dominance on the pre-primetime slot. The series debuted at the fifth slot with a 22.5% rating.
Maria La Del Barrio was trending worldwide on its First day run and trended for two more days in the Philippines.
On a review done by the Philippine Entertainment Portal, they quoted that "Acting wise, and based on the initial few scenes shown, Erich looks tailor-made for the role; with her natural ability to summon naïve, childlike qualities with relative ease." 
- ^ http://www.abs-cbn.com/Feature/Article/10063/-Maria-La-Del-Barrio-heats-up-the-rainy-season.aspx
- ^ Nasaan Ka Elisa and Maria la del Barrio lead stars will grace March 13 episode of ASAP Rocks retrieved March 11, 2011 via PEP.ph
- ^ Sibonga, Glen P. (2011-03-30). "Enrique Gil says it's his time to be given lead roles". News. The Philippine Entertainment Portal. http://www.pep.ph/news/28886/Enrique-Gil-says-it's-his-time-to-be-given-lead-roles;-denies-courting-Erich-Gonzales. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- ^ Castro, Roldan (2011-04-25). "AJ Perez remained a true and loyal friend till the end". News. The Philippine Entertainment Portal. http://www.pep.ph/news/29209/AJ-Perez-remained-a-true-and-loyal-friend-till-the-end. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- ^ Pumaloy, Rey (2011-07-30). "Aaron Villaflor admits he ignored Erich Gonzales when they were both finalists in a star search: "May girlfriend kasi ako nung time na yun.". News. The Philippine Entertainment Portal. http://www.pep.ph/news/30416/Aaron-Villaflor-admits-he-ignored-Erich-Gonzales-when-they-were-both-finalists-in-a-star-search:-May-girlfriend-kasi-ako-nung-time-na-yun.. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- ^ Maria la del Barrio debuts strongly on August 12, 2011 via www.pep.ph
- ^ PEP REVIEW: Erich Gonzales seems a perfect fit for the title role of Maria la del Barrio retrieved on August 18, 2011 via www.pep.ph
ABS-CBN Corporation Franchised Endemol FremantleMediaPilipinas Got Talent · The X Factor PhilippinesThe Price Is Right Shine InternationalThe Biggest Loser: Pinoy Edition · Junior MasterChef Pinoy Edition · MasterChef Pinoy Edition OthersThe Singing Bee · Pinoy Bingo Night · Twist and Shout
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
María la del Barrio — DVD cover Format telenovela Created by Inés Rodena Directed by Beatriz Sheridan … Wikipedia
MariMar (Philippine TV series) — infobox television bgcolor=#c00 fgcolor=#fff show name = MariMar caption = format = Drama, Romance picture format = NTSC (480i) SDTV runtime = 30 45 minutes creator = Inés Rodena Televisa developer = Dode Cruz director = Joyce E. Bernal Mac… … Wikipedia
My Girl (Philippine TV series) — My Girl Genre Romance, Comedy, Drama Created by Hong Jung Eun SBS ABS CBN … Wikipedia
MariMar (Philippines TV series) — This article is about Philippine television series. For the original Mexican television series, see Marimar (TV series). MariMar Format Drama, Action, Adventure, Romance Created by … Wikipedia
Mula Sa Puso (2011 TV series) — Mula Sa Puso Format Action, Crime, Drama, Romance, Suspense, Thriller Written by Wenn V. Deramas … Wikipedia
Only You (2009 TV series) — Only You Format Comedy, Romance, Drama Created by SBS Developed by Star Cinema … Wikipedia
Charee Pineda — Born Crissha Charee Pineda September 27, 1990 (1990 09 27) (age 21) Occupation Actress … Wikipedia
Nasaan Ka Elisa? — Nasaan Ka, Elisa? Format Action, Crime, Mystery, Thriller Created by Pablo Illanes … Wikipedia
Telenovela — A Escrava Isaura ( Isaura the Slave ), a 2004 Brazilian telenovela based on an 1875 abolitionist romance novel A telenovela is a limited run serial dramatic programming popular in Latin American, Portuguese, and Spanish television programming.… … Wikipedia
Thalía — Infobox musical artist 2 Name = Thalía Img capt = Thalia in November 2006 Background = solo singer Birth name = Ariadna Thalía Sodi Miranda Born = birth date and age|1971|08|26 Died = Origin = Mexico City, Mexico Residence = New York City, U.S.… … Wikipedia