- Manta ray night dive
Depending on the amount of microscopic plankton present, the number of manta rays will vary. Some days no manta rays are seen while on days with high plankton levels upwards of a dozen may be present. While diving, scuba divers shine lights up while snorkelers shine them down creating a column of light which attracts millions of minuscule plankton, which in turn attracts the manta rays.
A popular site is just off the coast of Hawaiʻi Island called Garden Eel Cove. Located just off the coast of Keahole Point (near the Kona International Airport), it attracts scuba divers for the abundance of manta rays. Its official name is Hoʻona Bay, at . Other sea life includes garden eels, Hawaiian Turkeyfish, and Heller's Barracuda.
For decades travellers to Hawaii observed manta rays from restaurants and hotels along the coast, such as the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and the Kona Surf Hotel. In the mid 1980s, dive operators began occasionally taking scuba divers to areas such as Garden Eel Cove for manta ray encounters. The frequency of these dive trips increased over the years with many dive operations offering trips most days.
Travel guides often rate this dive highly. The Professional Association of Diving Instructors states that "dive magazines the world over consistently rank Kona's manta ray night diving as one of the best things you can do underwater".
Conservation and the Manta Pacific Research Foundation
With the increasing popularity of this dive, conservation and protection of manta rays has become a priority of dive operators and organizations. Manta rays in other parts of the Pacific Ocean have been hunted by fishermen as a result of the increasing demand for manta ray gill plates. Local organizations, such as the Manta Pacific Research Foundation try to protect the local manta rays and educate the public about manta rays and other sea life. The Manta Pacific Research Foundation's mission is to "study manta rays in their natural habitat, conduct scientific research, provide education programs for the public about manta rays and the marine environment, and to establish and promote global manta ray conservation". As a result of manta rays' fragile biological composition, guidelines to protect the health of the manta rays at this dive have been set forth by The Ocean Recreation council of Hawaii and PADI's Project AWARE. The guidelines are strictly enforced by dive operations that conduct this dive.
Several dive shops in Kailua-Kona and offer one-tank or two-tank dives. Most dive trips depart from Honokohau harbor, which is only a short trip to the dive site. Manta ray diving tours on Hawaii occur year round; they are not limited by seasons.
- ^ a b "Manta Ray Night Dive in Kona, Big Island". GoHawaii.com web site. http://www.gohawaii.com/big-island/guidebook/topics/manta-ray-diving. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- ^ a b c "Kona Manta Ray Night Dive". Manta Pacific Research Foundation web site. http://www.mantapacific.org/mantapacific/kona/index.html. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- ^ a b c Luci Yamamoto; Gorry Conner (2008). Hawai'i The Big Island: 35 Themed Itineraries Beaches, Activities, Family Travel. Oakland: Lonely Planet Publications. ISBN 9781741047158. http://books.google.com/books?id=psRVlNrY_04C.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hoona Bay
- ^ John R. K. Clark (2004). "lookup of Ho'ona ". in Hawai'i Place Names: Shores, Beaches, and Surf Sites. Ulukau, the Hawaiian Electronic Library, University of Hawaii Press. http://wehewehe.org/gsdl2.5/cgi-bin/hdict?j=cl&l=en&q=Ho%27ona&d=. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- ^ a b Jack's Diving Locker : Dive Sites
- ^ Family Resorts in Hawaii | Mauna Kea Beach Hotel | Family Vacation Activities Hawaii
- ^ Best Dive Sites: Top 15 Dives to Experience Before You Die
- ^ Must Dive Sites: The Manta Ray Night Dive in Kailua Kona, Hawaii
- ^ Plan Your Trip: Hawaii | Islands.com
- ^ "Hawaii Scuba Diving Hawai’i". web site. Professional Association of Diving Instructors. http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-trips/scuba-diving-resort-vacations/Hawaii-scuba-diving-Hawaii/. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- ^ Manta Pacific Research Foundation : Conservation Programs
- ^ Manta Pacific Research Foundation
- ^ Lonely Planet Hawaii - Google Books
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Black Manta — For the black project spyplane, see TR 3A Black Manta Black Manta Black Manta Art by David Finch Publication information … Wikipedia
Diving in the Maldives — Diving in the Maldives. The Maldives has become one of the world’s premier scuba diving destinations, because of the abundance of amazing white sand beaches, coral reefs, clear warm waters, many scuba diving sites and rich marine life. Most… … Wikipedia
List of Disney's The Little Mermaid characters — This article lists information of animated characters from Disney s The Little Mermaid franchise, covering the 1989 film, its prequel TV series, its direct to video sequel and prequel films, and the stage musical adaptation. Contents 1 The Little … Wikipedia
Meg: Hell's Aquarium — The cover of Hell s Aquarium … Wikipedia
The Blue Planet — Infobox nature documentary bgcolour = show name = The Blue Planet caption = Series title card picture format = 16:9/4:3 when aired on Animal Planet audio format = Stereo runtime = 50 minutes creator = developer = producer = executive producer =… … Wikipedia
Chouseishin Gransazer — Format Sci fi, Fantasy, Action, Adventure Created by Toho and Konami Starring Ryou S … Wikipedia
The Centurions (TV series) — Centurions redirects here. For other uses, see Centurion (disambiguation). The Centurions Genre Animation Action Voices of Voice cast Theme music composer Udi Harpaz Cou … Wikipedia
Vampire (Kinoko Nasu) — In the world created by Kinoko Nasu and used in various works by Type Moon, the term Vampire is used as a common denominator for most kinds of bloodsucking species predominant in occidental regions. Though they share some similarities, these… … Wikipedia
Kite types — Colorful delta wing kite Kites are tethered flying objects which fly by using aerodynamic lift, requiring wind, (or towing), for generation of airflow over the lifting surfaces. Contents 1 Kite … Wikipedia
Socorro Island — (Spanish: Isla Socorro ) is a volcanic island in the Revillagigedo Islands, a Mexican possession lying some 600 kilometers off that country s western coast at 18°48 N, 110°59 W. The size is 16.5 by 11.5 km, with an area of 132 km². TOC The island … Wikipedia