infobox UK place
country = England
region= West Midlands
constituency_westminster= Stoke-on-Trent Central
dial_code= 01782, although 01889, 01785 and 01538 codes may apply in the more distant areas.
The town, which was incorporated as a
municipal boroughin 1874, is one of six that federated to form the county borough of Stoke-on-Trent in 1910, along with Hanley, Tunstall, Burslem, Longton and Fenton. It is the seat of the city's council, though Stoke-on-Trent's city centre is, usually regarded as being the nearby town of Hanley which, since federation, has been the most commercially important of the Six Towns.
Confusion can arise over the similarity of this town's name to that of the larger city. If the new borough (not a city until 1925) had to be named after one of the original towns, the main reason for using "Stoke" is that this was where the new town's administration was sited, which in turn was because Stoke had the main transport links.
The canal, mainline railway, and trunk road passed through the centre of Stoke. Stoke also had the main railway station (other towns were connected by the "loop" line) making the name of Stoke perhaps the most familiar outside the area. It made sense to name the city after the oldest and most commonly recognised name, even though it was not then the most significant town from a commercial perspective. (The commercial centre was Hanley, elevated and therefore relatively free, for most of the year, of the city's smog and smoke.Fact|date=May 2007).
Growth of Stoke and its Transport links
Stoke was located where the River Trent meets Fowlea Brook. The later
Roman roadthrough Stoke remained the basis for local road transport long after the Roman occupation.
The Anglian name given to this ancient place of meeting and worship was the 'stoc' (meeting place) on the Trent. It was the site of the first church in the area, built of wood around the year
670, later rebuilt in stone, and now known as Stoke Minster[http://www.stokeminster.com] . A significant small town grew up around this church.
In the 18th Century, the "Grand Trunk" canal came along the Trent valley to carry coal cheaply to the Potteries (and pottery safely away). Many of the promoters of the canal were pottery magnates.
In the 19th century, the railways, too, came along the valley. The mainline
Stoke-on-Trent railway stationwas opened by the North Staffordshire Railwayon October 9, 1848, replacing the temporary station sited at Whieldon road which was constructed for the opening of the first NSR line on April 17, 1848. Travellers to the region would change trains at Stoke for local trains to their ticketed destination.
The King's Hall
Assembly hall, ballroom, exhibition hall and theatre built in 1910-11 at the time of the Federation to the design of "T. Wallis and J.A. Bowater" and with an impressive nineteen bay dressed stone frontage on Kingsway behind the Town Hall. It has proved itself to be a very useful adjunct to the Town Hall of 1834-50. This was built on Glebe Street, opposite the parish church to the design of
Henry Ward. [Nikolaus Pevsner; "The Buildings of England - Staffordshire", Penguin Books Ltd, 1974. ISBN 0-14-071046-9 (page 262)] The entire Town Hall/King's Hall complex serves the City of Stoke-on-Trent well as its chief administrative offices including the Lord Mayor's Parlour combined with all the facilities of the King's Hall for the City's formal entertainment.
In the 19th century, Stoke had a thriving pottery industry, hence its nickname, "The Potteries". Since the last half of the 20th century, however, almost all of the bottle-shaped kilns have been taken down, due to regulations from the Clean Air Act — an estimated 4,000 bottle kilns in the heyday of the pottery industry, today reduced to a mere 46. Successful Stoke-upon-Trent potters include
Spode, Copeland, Minton and Biltons.
Although Stoke is surpassed by its neighbouring town, Hanley in terms of size, population, and shops, it does have:
* Stoke Minster [http://www.stokeminster.com]
* the same (abbreviated) name as the City
* the mainline railway station
* the main campus of
Staffordshire University, its library and halls of residence (these are actually located on land that was originally part of Hanley) and was the original site of the Staffordshire Cricket Clubs ground.
University Hospital of North Staffordshireand the City General Hospital, as well as the Central Outpatients Department, which is one, if not the, largest in the UK.
* a long-established purpose-built
art house cinema
* a purpose-built
* the Irish centre
Trent & Mersey canal& National Cycle Network paths
* the main complex of Council offices & chamber - clustered in and around the Town Hall
* the Minster church and Stoke Approach area and the outdoor artworks
* The King's Hall music & events venue
* a free public lending library
SpodeCopeland pottery factory
* The Villas, the first
conservation areain Stoke, containing several Grade II listed houses
Outlying townships within the bounds of Stoke-upon-Trent include Boothen, Hartshill, Mount Pleasant,
Penkhulland Trent Vale.
* [http://www.search.exploringthepotteries.org.uk/engine/GIS/default.asp Use interactive maps to find historic photographs and artefacts of old Stoke]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Stoke upon Trent — (spr. Stohk öpon Trent), einer der durch die Reformbill von 1832 neu geschaffenen Parlamentsdistricte (Parlamentary Boroughs) in der englischen Grafschaft Stafford, besteht aus einem großen, sich nahe an 2 deutsche Meilen in die Länge u. fast 1… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Stoke upon Trent — (spr. ßtōk öponn trént), schmutzige Stadt (municipal borough) in Staffordshire (England), im Distrikt der Potteries (s. d.), hat einen großartigen Bahnhof (mit den Bi dsäulen Wedgwoods und Mintons), ein großes Stadthaus mit Gemäldegalerie, eine… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Stoke-upon-Trent — (spr. stohköpp n ), Stadt in der engl. Grafsch. Stafford, Hauptort der Potteries, am Trent, (1901) 30.458 E … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
STOKE-UPON-TRENT — (24), chief seat of the Potteries, in Staffordshire, on the Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal, 15 m. SE. of Crewe; is of modern growth, with free library, infirmary, public baths, statue to Wedgwood, &c., and is busily engaged in the… … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Stoke-upon-Trent (UK Parliament constituency) — UK former constituency infobox Name = Stoke upon Trent Type = Borough Year = 1832 Abolition = 1918 members = two (1832 1885); one (1885 1918)Stoke upon Trent was a parliamentary borough in Staffordshire, which elected two Members of Parliament… … Wikipedia
Stoke upon Trent Rural District — infobox historic subdivision Name= Stoke upon Trent HQ= Status= Rural district Start= 1894 End= 1922 Replace= Stoke on Trent County Borough, Cheadle Rural District PopulationFirst= 4,279 PopulationFirstYear= 1901 PopulationLast= 5,009… … Wikipedia
Stoke-on-Trent — City and Unitary Authority area City of Stoke on Trent Stoke on Trent … Wikipedia
Stoke-on-Trent — Centre ville de Stoke on Trent … Wikipédia en Français
Stoke-on-trent — Centre ville de Stoke o Trent Stoke on Trent est une ville britannique située jadis dans le Staffordshire mais qui constitue une autorité unitaire depuis 1997. Elle a le statut de Cité. Sa population est estimée à 260 000 habitants… … Wikipédia en Français
Stoke-on-Trent — Stoke′ on Trent′ or Stoke′ upon Trent′ [[t]stoʊk[/t]] n. geg a city in N Staffordshire, in central England, on the Trent River. 255,800 … From formal English to slang