- Man of Steel (film)
Man of Steel Directed by Zack Snyder Produced by Christopher Nolan
Screenplay by David S. Goyer Story by Christopher Nolan
David S. Goyer
Based on Characters by
Starring Henry Cavill
Cinematography Amir Mokri Studio Legendary Pictures
Cruel and Unusual Films
Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures Release date(s) June 14, 2013 Country United States Language English Budget $175 million
Man of Steel is an upcoming American superhero film under the development of Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer. Based on the DC Comics character Superman, the film will be a reboot of the Superman film series. Using Chicago and Vancouver as a backdrop, and with production to be based in west suburban Plano, the film entered principal photography in August 2011, for a planned theatrical release on June 14, 2013 by Warner Bros., which also includes IMAX venues.
Clark Kent is a journalist in his twenties who was adopted as a child by Martha and Jonathan Kent when he was transported to Earth from the alien planet Krypton. Kent, raised with the values of his adoptive parents, feels alienated because of his unique super abilities and struggles to find his place in life. When the world is attacked, he becomes the hero Superman to protect its people.
- Henry Cavill as Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman: A Kryptonian sent to Earth by his parents as an infant to survive the destruction of his homeworld Krypton. He is raised by Kansas farmers and later becomes Earth's greatest superhero, Superman. Cavill was cast as Superman, making him the first non-American actor to be cast in the role. Cavill was on the shortlist for the 2006 film Superman Returns, but lost the part to Brandon Routh.
- Amy Adams as Lois Lane: Reporter for the Daily Planet newspaper and love interest of Clark Kent. Adams was selected from a list of actresses that included Olivia Wilde and Mila Kunis.
- Michael Shannon as General Zod: A powerful Kryptonian soldier with superpowers similar to those of Clark Kent. Viggo Mortensen was considered for the role.
- Antje Traue as Faora
- Russell Crowe as Jor-El: The biological father of Superman. Sean Penn and Clive Owen were also considered for the role.
- Ayelet Zorer as Lara Lor-Van: The biological mother of Superman and loyal wife to Jor-El. Julia Ormond had previously been announced as cast, but recently dropped out. Connie Nielsen was in negotiations for the role before Ormond was cast.
- Laurence Fishburne as Perry White: The Editor in Chief of the Daily Planet and the boss of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Fishburne is the first African American to play Perry White in a live action film .
- Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Jonathan and Martha Kent: The adoptive parents of Superman. Director Zack Snyder said of Costner "Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest superhero of all time."
- Harry Lennix as General Swanwick
- Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy
In June 2008, Warner Bros. was taking pitches from comic book writers, screenwriters, and directors on how to successfully re-start the Superman film series. "I told them, it’s not that bad. Just treat Superman Returns as the Ang Lee Hulk," comic book writer Mark Waid explained. "The Incredible Hulk has proven the audience will forgive you and let you redo the franchise." Comic book writers Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, and Brad Meltzer also pitched their ideas for a reboot. Morrison's idea was similar to his work on All-Star Superman, while Waid's was akin to Superman: Birthright. Mark Millar, teaming with director Matthew Vaughn, planned an epic 8-hour Superman trilogy, each installment released a year apart, similar to The Lord of the Rings. Millar compared it to the Godfather trilogy, in which it would chronicle the entire life of Superman, from the early days of Krypton to the finale where Superman loses his powers as the sun starts to supernova. August 2009 saw a court ruling in which Jerry Siegel's family recaptured the rights to Superman's origins and Siegel's copyright in Action Comics #1. In addition, a judge ruled that Warner Bros. did not owe the families additional royalties from previous films, however if they do not begin production on a Superman film by 2011, then the Shuster and Siegel estates will be able to sue for lost revenue on an unproduced film.
During story discussions for The Dark Knight Rises in 2010, David S. Goyer told Christopher Nolan his idea on how to present Superman in a modern context. Impressed with Goyer's concept, Nolan pitched the idea to the studio, who hired Nolan to produce and Goyer to write based on the financial and critical success of The Dark Knight. Nolan admired Bryan Singer's work on Superman Returns for its connection to Richard Donner's version, but stated that the new film would not have any relationship with the previous film series.
Guillermo del Toro turned down the director's position on the reboot because of his commitment on a film adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness, while Robert Zemeckis was also approached. Darren Aronofsky, Duncan Jones, Jonathan Liebesman, Matt Reeves, and Tony Scott were considered as potential directors, before Zack Snyder was hired in October 2010. Casting began the following November.
With an estimated budget of $175 million, principal photography began on August 1, 2011 at an industrial park near DuPage Airport under the codename "Autumn Frost". Zack Snyder expressed reluctance for shooting the film in 3-D, due to the technical limitations of the format. Filming is expected to last for two to three months. Production took place in Plano on August 22 to August 29. Filming then took place in the Chicago Loop from September 7 to September 17. Vancouver Film Studios and Chicago are other shooting locations.
Warner Bros. and DC Comics won the rights to a domain name in use by a member of the public as use for the film's official website.
- ^ "Amir Mokri". Internet Encyclopedia of Cinematographers. http://www.cinematographers.nl/PaginasDoPh/mokri.htm. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- ^ "Untitled (Columbia Pictures/Spider-Man Project) (2012)". New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/461432/Untitled-Columbia-Pictures-Spider-Man-Project-/credits. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- ^ Davis, Edward (2011-07-21). "Zack Snyder's Superman Film Man Of Steel Moves To June 14, 2013". indieWire. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/zack_snyders_superman_film_man_of_steel_moves_to_a_june_14_2013_date/. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- ^ "Third Batman, New Superman Part of IMAX Deal". Superhero Hype!. 2010-04-28. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/100703-third-batman-new-superman-part-of-new-imax-deal. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- ^ http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Want-to-Read-the-Incredibly--127998373.html
- ^ "Henry Cavill to Play Superman!!". Superhero Hype!. 2011-01-30. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125177-henry-cavill-to-play-superman?cpage=20#written_comments_title. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- ^ Saunders, Emma (2011-02-01). "BBC News - Film invasion of the Super-Brits". BBC.co.uk. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12333396. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- ^ Singh, Anita (2011-01-30). "Another British superhero: Henry Cavill to play Superman". The Daily Telegraph (London). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/celebritynews/8291749/Another-British-superhero-Henry-Cavill-to-play-Superman.html. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- ^ Arrant, Chris (2011-03-29). "Is Superman's New Lois Lane Really Too Old For The Man Of Steel?". MTV. http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/03/29/superman-amy-adams-lois-lane-2/. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- ^ Vilkomerson, Sara (2011-03-27). "Amy Adams to play Lois Lane in Superman". Entertainment Weekly. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/27/amy-adams-lois-lane-superman/. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- ^ Jagernauth, Kevin (2011-02-02). "Updated: Olivia Wilde & Mila Kunis Also In The Mix For Lois Lane; Kristen Stewart Not Approached". indieWire. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/olivia_wilde_mila_kunis_also_in_the_mix_for_lois_lane_kristen_stewart_repor/. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- ^ "Viggo Mortensen on Warners' Radar for 'Superman' Villain (Exclusive)". http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/viggo-mortensen-superman-villain-161432. Retrieved November 04, 2011.
- ^ "Two Actors Who Were Considered For "Jor-El" In Man Of Steel Revealed!". Comicbookmovie.com. 2011-06-16. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=39516. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ ""Julia Ormond Out As MAN OF STEEL’s Biological Mom!!"". Ain't It Cool News. 2011-09-25. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51355.
- ^ "Connie Nielsen & Harry Lennix Rumored For Man of Steel". Screen Rant. 2011-06-15. http://screenrant.com/superman-man-of-steel-connie-nielsen-harry-lennix-sandy-119735/. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ Ditzian, Eric (March 8, 2011-8). "Man Of Steel Taps Laurence Fishburne As News Chief Perry White". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1668388/laurence-fishburne-superman-man-of-steel.jhtml. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ "Kevin Costner Joins Zack Snyder's Superman Reboot". Pastemagazine.com. 2011-03-18. http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/03/kevin-costner-joins-zack-snyders-superman-reboot.html. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ a b Goldberg, Matt (2011-08-04). "First Official Image of Henry Cavill as Superman in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel". Collider.com. http://collider.com/superman-man-of-steel-movie-image/107472/. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ Kit, Borys (2011-07-08). "Dollhouse Actor Joins Man of Steel". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dollhouse-actor-joins-man-steel-209325. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- ^ Greco, Patti (2011-06-25). "Chris Meloni Is Playing a General in Superman, Not Lex Luthor". New York. http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/chris_meloni_is_playing_a_gene.html. Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- ^ Wigler, Josh (2009-03-26). "Mark Millar On His Superman Movie Trilogy: "Nothing Is Happening"". MTV News. http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/26/mark-millar-on-his-superman-movie-trilogy-nothing-is-happening/. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- ^ a b Vineyard, Jennifer (2008-08-11). "How To Reboot The Superman Movie Franchise-Comic Writers Chime In". MTV. http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/08/11/how-to-reboot-the-superman-movie-franchise-comic-writers-chime-in/. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- ^ Anderson, Martin (2008-07-20). "The Den Of Geek interview: Mark Millar". DenofGeek.com. http://www.denofgeek.com/comics/88459/the_den_of_geek_interview_mark_millar.html. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- ^ Wigler, Josh (2010-03-26). "Matthew Vaughn Says Superman Movie Discussions Were "Very Brief"". MTV News. http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/03/26/matthew-vaughn-superman/. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- ^ Goodswen, Dan (2008-10-29). "Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman". Empire Online. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23521. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- ^ Graser, Marc (2009-08-13). "Superman co-creator's family given rights". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007269.html. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- ^ McNary, Dave (2009-07-08). "Warner Bros. wins Superman case". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005806.html. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- ^ a b "Christopher Nolan on Batman and Superman". Superhero Hype!. 2010-06-04. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102090-christopher-nolan-on-batman-and-superman. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- ^ Finke, Nikki; Fleming, Mike (2010-02-09). "It's A Bird! It's A Plane! It's Chris Nolan! He'll Mentor Superman 3.0 And Prep 3rd Batman". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 2011-03-21. http://www.webcitation.org/5xLwx0v1Q. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- ^ Schuker, Lauren A. E. (2008-08-22). "Warner Bets on Fewer, Bigger Movies". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 2011-03-21. http://www.webcitation.org/5xLzZSe7O. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- ^ Boucher, Geoff (2010-03-10). "Christopher Nolan takes flight with Superman: "We have a fantastic story"". Los Angeles Times (Tribune Company). http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/03/christopher-nolan-takes-flight-with-superman-we-have-a-fantastic-story-1.html. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- ^ Fleming, Michael (2010-09-13). "Toronto Q&A: Guillermo Del Toro About Producing Julia's Eyes And Biutiful". Deadline.com. http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/toronto-qa-julias-eyes-and-biutiful-producer-guillermo-del-toro/. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- ^ Wigler, Josh (2010-11-01). "Robert Zemeckis On Superman Reboot: "I Passed On That Faster Than A Speeding Bullet"". MTV News. http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/11/01/robert-zemeckis-superman-reboot/. Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- ^ Fleming, Michael (2010-09-23). "Chris Nolan Looking for Superman Directors". Deadline.com. http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/chris-nolan-looking-for-superman-director/. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- ^ Fleming, Michael (2010-10-04). "SCOOP: Zack Snyder Directing Superman". Deadline.com. http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/zack-snyder-directing-superman/. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- ^ Snider, Mike (2010-11-26). "Q&A: Screenwriter David Goyer on Call of Duty: Black Ops". USA Today. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/11/qa-screenwriter-david-goyer-on-call-of-duty-black-ops/1. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- ^ a b Merrion, Paul (2011-03-28). "Latest Superman movie arrives in the nick of time". Crain's Chicago Business. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20110326/ISSUE01/303269971/latest-superman-movie-arrives-in-the-nick-of-time. Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- ^ a b c Merrion, Paul (2011-07-28). "Superman flying into Chicago in August for filming". Crain's Chicago Business. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20110728/NEWS07/110729855/superman-flying-into-chicago-in-august-for-filming. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- ^ "'Superman: Man of Steel' 3D Still Up In The Air". Latino Review. 2011-04-01. http://www.latinoreview.com/news/-superman-man-of-steel-3d-still-up-in-the-air-1309. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ Guzzardi, Will (2011-03-28). "Superman: Man Of Steel Filming In Chicago, According To Industry Sources". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/28/superman-man-of-steel-chicago_n_841436.html. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- ^ Lederman, Marsha (2010-12-17). "Next Superman film to be shot in Vancouver". The Globe and Mail (Toronto). http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/ats/movies/next-superman-film-to-be-shot-in-vancouver-sources/article1841715/. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- ^ "DC Comics wins dispute over ManofSteel.com domain name". Fusible.com. 2011-07-20. http://fusible.com/2011/07/dc-comics-wins-dispute-over-manofsteel-com-domain-name/. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
Live-action films based on DC Comics Serials Single films Film franchises Batman 1966 1989 2005 Superman 1951 1978 2013Man of Steel Swamp Thing Films directed by Zack Snyder 2000s 2010sLegend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010) · Sucker Punch (2011) · Man of Steel (2013)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Man of Steel (film) — Pour l’article homonyme, voir Superman (homonymie). Man of Steel Données clés Titre québécois L Homme d acier Titre original Man of Steel Réalisation … Wikipédia en Français
Man of Steel — may refer to: Superman, the comic book superhero, whom the nickname The Man of Steel commonly refers to The Man of Steel (comics), a six issue comic book limited series about Superman released in 1986 by DC Comics Superman: The Man of Steel… … Wikipedia
Man of Steel — Supermanstatue auf dem Vorplatz des Massac County Gerichtsgebäudes in Metropolis, Illinois Superman ist der Name einer Comicfigur, die in den 1930er Jahren von den beiden US Amerikanern Jerry Siegel und Joe Shuster geschaffen wurde. Die Figur… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Steel (film) — Infobox Film name = Steel| caption = Original one sheet film poster. director = Kenneth Johnson producer = Quincy Jones David Salzman Joel Simon writer = Louise Simonson (comic) Jon Bogdanove (comic) Kenneth Johnson narrator = starring =… … Wikipedia
Men of Steel (film) — Men of Steel Directed by George King Produced by Ray Wyndham Written by Edward Knoblock Billie Bristow Douglas Newton (novel) Starring … Wikipedia
Superman: Man of Steel — Este artículo o sección se refiere o está relacionado con una producción cinematográfica futura o en desarrollo. La información de este artículo puede cambiar frecuentemente. Por favor, no agregues datos especulativos y recuerda colocar… … Wikipedia Español
The Man of Steel (comics) — This article is about the 1986 John Byrne mini series. For the ongoing series that ran from 1991 2003, see Superman: The Man of Steel. The Man of Steel Cover to The Man of Steel #1. Art by John Byrne. Publication information … Wikipedia
Cold Steel (film) — Cold Steel Directed by Dorothy Ann Puzo Produced by Lisa M. Hansen S … Wikipedia
Steel (Comicserie) — Steel (dt. „Stahl“) ist der Titel einer Comicserie, die von 1994 bis 1998 von dem US amerikanischen Verlag DC Comics veröffentlicht wurde. Genremäßig ist Steel eine Mischung aus klassischem amerikanischen Superhelden Comic sowie den Bereichen des … Deutsch Wikipedia
Steel — Pour l’article homophone, voir Steele. Steel (Man Of Steel) Personnage de fiction … Wikipédia en Français