- Man's best friend (catchphrase)
"Man's best friend" is a catchphrase for tame dogs, generally referring to the category as a whole. The popularization of the term is said to have occurred in a courtroom speech by George Graham Vest in Warrensburg, Missouri in 1870 who said, "The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog." The phrase was later shortened to "man’s best friend". Vest's speech came at the closing of a trial in which he was representing a farmer who was suing for damages after his dog Old Drum was shot[vague] by a neighbor.
Works so titled
- A 1935 film about a boy and his dog
- A 1951 animated short film starring Goofy
- A 1993 horror film starring Ally Sheedy and Lance Henriksen
- A 1980 musical album by Livingston Taylor
- A 1998 animated short film directed by Ben Gluck
- A 1999 TV series by Television Broadcasts Limited in Hong Kong
- An animation episode made for the 2003 series Ren & Stimpy "Adult Party Cartoon"
- A 2006 Japanese comic (yaoi manga) by Kazusa Takashima
- ^ Coren, Stanley (2009-10-21). ""A Man's Best Friend is his Dog": The Senator, the Dog, and the Trial". Psychology Today. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/200910/man-s-best-friend-is-his-dog-the-senator-the-dog-and-the-trial. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- ^ The Trial of Old Drum – New York Times Television Review – June 9, 2000
- ^ Martin, David (March 8, 2010). "I-70 in Missouri: Not just billboards and trucker-oriented porn". The Pitch. http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2010/03/i-70_in_missouri_not_just_billboards_and_trucker-oriented_porn.php.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Man's best friend — may refer to: The domestic dog Man s best friend (catchphrase) In film and television: Man s Best Friend (1935 film) Man s Best Friend (1993 film), a horror movie Man s Best Friend , an episode of the 2003 TV series Ren Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon … Wikipedia
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. — THRUSH redirects here. For other uses, see Thrush (disambiguation). The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Genre Spy fi Format … Wikipedia
Steve Urkel — Family Matters character First appearance Rachel s First Date (only in syndicated episodes), Laura s First Date (in first run ep … Wikipedia
Stan Lee — Lee introduced the practice of including a credit panel on the splash page of each story, naming not just the writer and penciller but also the inker and letterer. Regular news about Marvel staff members and upcoming storylines was presented on… … Wikipedia
Carol! — Carol was a character played by Horatio Sanz on Saturday Night Live . The main character of the sketches, Carol, is overweight, crass, ugly, loud and obnoxious. In the sketches, Carol interacts with whichever single man her best friend (played by … Wikipedia
List of Little Britain characters — This is a list of characters for the British television and radio sketch show Little Britain (and its American spin off, Little Britain USA). Contents: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T … Wikipedia
List of recurring The Simpsons characters — Contents 1 Agnes Skinner 2 Akira 3 Anastasia 4 Arnie Pye … Wikipedia
MADtv recurring characters — This article contains synopses for many of the more noteworthy recurring characters and sketches that have appeared on the sketch comedy television series MADtv. Contents: Top · 0–9 · A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V … Wikipedia
Stupid! — Infobox Television show name = Stupid! caption = show name 2 = genre = Comedy Children s creator = director = Jason Garbett creative director = developer = presenter = starring = Marcus Brigstocke Phil Cornwell Rusty Goffe voices = narrated =… … Wikipedia
List of Mr. Men — The following is a list of Mr. Men, from the children s book series by Roger Hargreaves, also adapted into the children s television programme The Mr. Men Show. Books one (Mr. Tickle) to forty three (Mr. Cheerful) were written by Hargreaves, and… … Wikipedia