- The Mall of Monroe
The Mall of Monroe
Interior hallway in the Mall of Monroe
Location Frenchtown Charter Township, Michigan, United States Coordinates Coordinates: Address 2121 N. Monroe Street (M-125) Opening date 1988 Management Cafaro Company No. of stores and services 50+ No. of anchor tenants 5 Total retail floor area GLA: 620,411 ft² (57,638 m²) No. of floors 1 Website Official website
The Mall of Monroe, formerly known as Frenchtown Square Mall, is an enclosed shopping mall in Frenchtown Charter Township, Michigan, just outside the city of Monroe, Michigan. Opened in 1988, it features more than fifty tenants, including a food court and movie theater. Anchor stores include Sears, Target and two Elder-Beerman stores, with one vacant anchor last occupied by Steve & Barry's. The mall is managed by Cafaro Company of Youngstown, Ohio.
Frenchtown Square Mall opened in 1988 on M-125 (Monroe Street) north of Monroe, in Frenchtown Charter Township. Its original anchor stores included the first Phar-Mor discount pharmacy in Michigan, as well as JCPenney, Sears, Hills Department Store and Elder-Beerman. Hills closed in 1993 and was replaced with Target, while the closure of Phar-Mor in 1995 made way for an Elder-Beerman home store, as well as an OfficeMax which did not open out into the mall. Old Navy was eventually added as well.
OfficeMax closed in the early 2000s. JCPenney closed in 2004 and was replaced two years later by Steve & Barry's. The mall's Regal Cinemas movie theater complex was closed in August 2007, but re-opened three months later under the management of Phoenix Theatres. Steve & Barry's closed in late 2008, as did Old Navy.
Cafaro announced $2 million renovation plans for the mall in 2009. Among the renovation plans, the former Old Navy was replaced with a clothing store called Wear District, and the mall was renamed The Mall of Monroe.
Frenchtown Square Partnership v. Lemstone, Inc.
In 2003, the mall partnership sued Lemstone Books, a Christian bookstore chain, which had closed its store at the mall six months before the termination of its lease. In those six months, the chain did not pay rent. Lemstone had also claimed that another gift store in the mall had caused declining sales at the Frenchtown Square store.
- ^ "Directory of Major Malls". International Council of Shopping Centers. http://www.icsc.org/apps/dmmdisp.php?dispid=MI0525. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- ^ Frederick, James (1989-09-11). "Phar-Mor in Motown". Drug Store News. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3374/is_n17_v11/ai_7990525. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- ^ Erb, Robin (1993-06-03). "Employees take stock of Hills closing". Toledo Blade. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7H8UAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VAMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3543,684412&dq=frenchtown-square. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- ^ "Elder-Beerman Opens New Home Store in Monroe". PR Newswire. 1997-12-02. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-20067346.html. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- ^ "Monroe theater to be reborn". The Detroit News. 2007-10-03. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=DTNB&s_site=detnews&f_site=detnews&f_sitename=Detroit+News%2C+The+(MI)&p_multi=DTNB&p_theme=gannett&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=11C133D41B39CD88&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- ^ Slat, Charles (2008-11-22). "Steve & Barry's plans closing store at mall". The Monroe News. http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081122/NEWS01/111229952. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- ^ Slat, Charles (2008-03-06). "Frenchtown mall to be upgraded". Monroe News. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=MONP&p_multi=MEVB&p_theme=monp&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=11F5F29BA60571B8&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- ^ Slat, Charles (2009-12-27). "Stories of the year: Ups, downs transform county's economy". Monroe News. http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091227/NEWS01/712279983. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- ^ "Frenchtown Square Partnership v. Lemstone, Inc.". Vlex.com. http://vlex.com/vid/frenchtown-square-partnership-lemstone-21490026. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
Shopping malls and districts in metropolitan Detroit Enclosed
Power centers Closed, under redevelopment
or demolishedGreat Oaks Mall • Lincoln Park Shopping Center • Summit Place Mall • Winchester MallSee also: Tourism in metropolitan Detroit
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Mall at Partridge Creek — Location Clinton Township, Michigan, USA Opening date October 18, 2007 Developer A. Alfred Taubman Management Taubman Centers Owner Taubman Centers … Wikipedia
Monroe County, Michigan — Seal … Wikipedia
The Village of Rochester Hills — Location Rochester, Michigan, USA Address Walton Blvd. @ S. Adams Rd. Opening date September 20, 2002 (2002 09 20) Developer Robert B. Aikens Associates No. of st … Wikipedia
Monroe, Michigan — City Monroe’s historic downtown on South Monroe Street … Wikipedia
Monroe, Louisiana — Coordinates: 32°30′37″N 92°05′42″W / 32.51028°N 92.095°W / 32.51028; 92.095 … Wikipedia
Monroe Township, Snyder County, Pennsylvania — For other Pennsylvania townships of the same name, see Monroe Township, Pennsylvania. Monroe Township, Snyder County, Pennsylvania Township … Wikipedia
The Bronx — Bronx redirects here. For other uses, see Bronx (disambiguation). The Bronx Borough of New York City Bronx County Motto: Ne cede malis Do not give way to evil … Wikipedia
The Game Plan (film) — Infobox Film name = The Game Plan caption = Theatrical release poster director = Andy Fickman producer = Mark Ciardi Gordon Gray writer = Nichole Millard Kathryn Price Audrey Wells starring = Dwayne The Rock Johnson Madison Pettis Kyra Sedgwick… … Wikipedia
Monroe Transit — Slogan Ride the City Bus! Parent City of Monroe Founded 1906 Headquarters 700 Washington St Locale Monroe, Louisiana Service area Ouachita Parish, Lo … Wikipedia
The Oaks — may refer to: Contents 1 Places 1.1 Australia 1.2 England 1.3 … Wikipedia