- Make Love (song)
"Make Love" Single by Keri Hilson from the album In a Perfect World... Released June 23, 2009 Recorded No Excuses Studio
(Santa Monica, California)
Genre R&B Length 5:22 Label Mosley, Zone 4 Writer(s) Jamal Jones, Ester Dean, Jason Perry Producer Polow da Don, Jason Perry Keri Hilson singles chronology "Knock You Down"
"Make Love" is a song performed by American recording artist and songwriter Keri Hilson. It was written by Jamal "Polow da Don" Jones, Ester Dean and Jason Perry, and produced by Polow da Don and Perry for Hilson's debut studio album In a Perfect World... (2009). The song was sent for urban adult contemporary airplay on June 23, 2009 as the fifth single from the album. Musically, "Make Love" is a downtempo R&B ballad and the lyrics speak of sexual intercourse. The song received mixed reviews from music critics, with some of them criticizing its long length and Hilson's vocals. In contrast, other critics named it one of the album's standouts.
After having been serviced for radio airplay, "Make Love" managed to reach number ten on the Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart, but received no direct promotion. However, three months prior to the single's release, a music video for the song, directed by Matt Barnes, was released and served as a viral commercial for In a Perfect World... The clip features rapper Kanye West, who appears on the album's previous single, "Knock You Down".
"Make Love" was written by Jamal "Polow da Don" Jones, Ester Dean and Jason Perry, and produced by Polow da Don and co-produced by Perry. Hilson's vocals were recorded by Bryan Jones at No Excuses Studio in Santa Monica, California, with assistance by Bryan Morton. The recordings were later mixed by Jean Marie Horvat and produced by Hilson. Perry and Titus Jackson played keyboards on the song, and Thomas Drayton contributed guitars. The song is one of only three tracks on In a Perfect World... that Hilson did not co-write. The song was used in a viral commercial prior to the album's release in March 2009, and later sent for urban adult contemporary airplay on June 23, 2009 as the fifth single from the album.
In a behind the scenes video for the song's music video, Hilson explained that she is "stripping down and unwinding" with the song, calling it real and natural. She described it as self-explanatory, saying that it speaks of reviving love and "keeping things very interesting". She said, "A woman has to know when to set the pace, because that's what men need. So that's what the song is about." Musically, "Make Love" is an R&B ballad, set in a slinky slow-jam groove. Patrick Varine of The Observer-Dispatch referred it to as a "hacky mid-'90s R&B" song, and its slow tempo was compared to ballads by American singer Ciara. According to Mariel Concepcion of Billboard, the song sees Hilson tapping into her vulnerable side. Lyrically, the piece is about sexual intercourse.
The song received generally mixed reviews from music critics. Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine wrote that the album's problem is the slow numbers, referring to "Make Love". Cinquemani said that the song requires a "much more talented vocalist to elevate it above mere filler." Glenn Gamboa of Newsday also dimissed the song, writing that it "seems to go on forever, especially following the similarly too-long, too-drawn-out 'Slow Dance'." Tracy Garraud of Vibe was mixed on the song, writing that its chords "sound more like a Disney princess' cue than a royal highness' arrival and Hilson's fairy-dusted vocals sound more platonic than carnal." In contrast, Sophie Bruce of BBC Music named the song one of the album's good points. Quentin B. Huff of PopMatters was also more positive on "Make Love", writing that the song and "Slow Dance" "tend to provide better matches between the vocals and the music, since the backdrop keeps things simple and the lyrics don’t always fall into slang and unintentional irony." Michael Wood of Los Angeles Times wrote that Hilson "fares much better in the [album's] handful of cameo-free cuts", such as "Make Love". A writer for Rap-Up named the song one of the album's top tracks, while Steve Jones of USA Today named it a track to skip.
The music video for "Make Love" was directed by Matt Barnes. The clip premiered on March 9, 2009 and served as a viral commercial for In a Perfect World... Barnes referred the video to as a short film, noting that it has the form of a music video but there is no performance in it. Hilson said that the opening scene of her entering her apartment represents her coming home from the studio on a normal day. She explained that the song and video show that the album has "real songs", not just uptempo songs for the clubs. The video guest stars Kanye West, who contributed vocals to "Knock You Down", one of the album's tracks.
The video begins with Hilson as she comes home to her apartment and starts playing "Make Love" on a rough cut CD of In a Perfect World... After having taken off her jacket, she sits down on the couch in the living room. In another room, West is seen getting out of bed. Hilson leaves for the kitchen where she puts out champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries. She then gets ready in the bathroom while West waits in the bedroom. When Hilson is finished, she joins him in bed and they start cuddling and kissing. The video ends with Hilson looking into the camera over West's shoulder.
Credits and personnel
- Songwriting – Jamal Jones, Ester Dean, Jason Perry
- Production – Polow da Don
- Co-production – Jason Perry
- Additional keyboards – Jason Perry, Titus Jackson
- Guitars – Thomas Drayton
- Vocal production – Keri Hilson
- Mixing – Jean Marie Horvart
Chart (2009) Peak
US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles 10
- ^ a b c Varine, Patrick (March 18, 2009). "Album review: 'In a Perfect World,' by Keri Hilson". The Observer-Dispatch (GateHouse Media). http://www.uticaod.com/ghs/features/x1465802677/Album-review-In-a-Perfect-World-by-Keri-Hilson. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ a b c Gamboa, Glenn (March 24, 2009). "Review: Keri Hilson's 'In a Perfect World'". Newsday (Cablevision). Archived from the original on March 27, 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090327142324/http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/ny-etdrops6080233mar24a,0,5877788.column. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ a b (2009) Album notes for In a Perfect World... by Keri Hilson, p. 4 [booklet]. Mosley. Interscope (b001200002).
- ^ a b c Bruce, Sophie (May 8, 2009). "Keri Hilson – In A Perfect World Review". BBC Music. British Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/pn3n. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g "Kanye West Goes ‘Hard’ Working with Keri Hilson". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. March 17, 2009. http://www.rap-up.com/2009/03/17/kanye-west-goes-hard-working-with-keri-hilson/. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ "Urban AC :: Week of June 23, 2009". Radio & Records. http://gfa.radioandrecords.com/publishGFA/GFANextPage.asp?sDate=06/23/2009&Format=12. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ a b Wood, Michael (March 23, 2009). "Album review: Keri Hilson's 'In a Perfect World...'". Los Angeles Times (Tribune Company). http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/03/album-review-ke.html. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ Concepcion, Mariel (April 4, 2009). "In a Perfect World". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media). Archived from the original on May 2, 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090502043641/http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/reviews-album/in-a-perfect-world-1003956175.story. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ a b Huff, Quentin B. (May 19, 2009). "Keri Hilson: In a Perfect World...". PopMatters. Sarah Zupko. http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/92695-keri-hilson-in-a-perfect-world/. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ Cinquemani, Sal (March 22, 2009). "Keri Hilson: In a Perfect World...". Slant Magazine. Ed Gonzalez. http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/keri-hilson-in-a-perfect-world/1671. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ Garraud, Tracy (March 24, 2009). "Keri Hilson: "In A Perfect World"". Vibe (InterMedia Partners). Archived from the original on April 30, 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090430004952/http://www.vibe.com/music/revolutions/2009/03/keri_hilson_in_a_perfect_world/. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ "Review Roundup: Keri Hilson – ‘In a Perfect World…’". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. March 24, 2009. http://www.rap-up.com/2009/03/24/review-roundup-keri-hilson-in-a-perfect-world/. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ Jones, Steve (March 24, 2009). "Listen Up: Miley Cyrus' alter ego is a solid pop persona". USA Today (Gannett Company). http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2009-03-23-listen-up-miley_N.htm. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ "Video Teaser: Keri Hilson ‘Makes Love’ to Kanye West". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. March 9, 2009. http://www.rap-up.com/2009/03/09/video-teaser-keri-hilson-makes-love-to-kanye-west/. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- ^ a b "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles – August 8, 2009". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/chart-search-results/singles/3111322. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
Keri Hilson Discography Studio albums
and singles"Breaking Point" · "Pretty Girl Rock" · "One Night Stand" · "Lose Control (Let Me Down)"
Featured singles Other songs"The Way You Love Me" Related articles Book · Category
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Let's Make Love (song) — Single infobox Name = Let s Make Love Artist = Faith Hill featuring Tim McGraw from Album = Breathe Released = 2000 Format = CD Single Writer = Marv Green, Aimee Mayo, Chris Lindsey, Bill Luther Genre = Country Length = 4:11 Label = Warner Bros.… … Wikipedia
Make Love Like a Man — Single by Def Leppard from the album Adrenalize B side Miss You in a Heartbeat Action … Wikipedia
Make Love Stay — Single by Dan Fogelberg from the album Greatest Hits B side Hearts and Crafts Released 1983 Format … Wikipedia
Make Love Fuck War — Single by Moby Public Enemy B side Instrumental and a cappella versions … Wikipedia
Make Love to Me — may refer to one of two different songs. Mann/Weiss/Gannon song (1941) With music by Paul Mann and Stephan Weiss, and lyrics by Kim Gannon, it was recorded in 1942 by Helen Forrest with the Harry James Orchestra. It has also been performed by… … Wikipedia
Make Love to Me (album) — Make Love to Me Studio album by Julie London Released 1957 … Wikipedia
Love song — A love song is about falling in love and the happiness it brings. By contrast, a heartbreak song is about a relationship breaking down, or the sadness of a love that has died. Anthologies of love songs often contain a mixture of both of these… … Wikipedia
Make love, not war —  Make love not war is an anti war slogan commonly associated with the American counterculture of the 1960s. It was used primarily by those who were opposed to the Vietnam War, but has been invoked in other anti war contexts since. Radical… … Wikipedia
Meikyū Love Song — (迷宮ラブソング) Single by Arashi Released February 23, 2011 (2011 02 23) Format CD single, CD+DVD Recorded … Wikipedia
Italian Love Song — Infobox Single Name = Italian Love Song Cover size = Caption = Artist = Tina Arena Album = Greatest Hits 1994 2004 A side = B side = Released = Start date|2004|11|5 (Australia) Format = CD Recorded = April 2004 at Falcon Valley, Italy Genre = Pop … Wikipedia