- Maidenhead Half Marathon
Maidenhead Half Marathon is an annual running race held in Maidenhead, Berkshire, England. The inaugural race at 9:30am on Sunday 4 September 2011, organized by local company Purple Patch Running, attracted over 2000 entrants.
As 2011 was the inaugural race, the times below are also the current course records.
Year Men's Race Winner Women's Race Winner 2011 Charles Coleman (WSEH, 1:12:02) Samantha Amend (Belgrave Harriers, 1:19:39)
Maidenhead Half Marathon has a fast flat course with an overall elevation change of less than 10m and therefore provides excellent PB potential. The route takes in some of the most attractive local scenery including Bray, Maidenhead Riverside and Cookham. Starting in front of the Town Hall, runners make their way round the town centre before heading out along the A308 towards Windsor. Around the 3-mile (4.8 km) mark the route turns left and heads into and through Bray Village, then along Oldfield Road and through Guards Club Park to Maidenhead Bridge. Next is a scenic, mile long stretch alongside the River Thames before runners make their way to Cookham on Ray Mead Road. The route then turns left onto The Causeway, then back towards Maidenhead on Maidenhead Road. Approaching Maidenhead the runners turn left again and follow Cookham Road as far as Kidwells Park. The final part of the route goes through the centre of Kidwells Park, under the A4, down the High Street, loops around the town centre and finishes in front of the Town Hall.
Number for Life
Maidenhead Half Marathon offers an unusual feature in that participants keep their race number for life. A charity auction allows people to bid for desirable numbers, with all proceeds going to a local charity called The Link Foundation. In 2011 this raised over £2600 and attracted a winning bid of £300 for the number "1".
- ^ Amanda Hall, "Final preparations underway for Maidenhead half marathon", Maidenhead Advertiser, 1 September 2011
- ^ Alistair Hendrie, "Amend's joy at half marathon success", Maidenhead Advertiser, 6 September 2011
- ^ Maidenhead Half Marathon route map
- ^ JustGiving page for charity auction of race numbers for Maidenhead Half Marathon 2011
- ^ Amanda Hall, "Maidenhead Half Marathon's No.1 runner chosen", Maidenhead Advertiser, 4 August 2011
- "First Maidenhead Half Marathon to be held". Windsor Express. 21 May 2011. http://www.windsorexpress.co.uk/news/article-21368-first-maidenhead-half-marathon-to-be-held/.
- "Maidenhead holding its first half marathon". BBC News. 23 May 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-13502308.
- "Sign up for Maidenhead's first half marathon". Maidenhead Advertiser. 2 June 2011. http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/sport/article-21569-sign-up-for-maidenhead-s-first-half-marathon/.
- "More women urged to sign up for Maidenhead's first half marathon". Maidenhead Advertiser. 22 June 2011. http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/m/sport/article-21934-more-women-urged-to-sign-up-for-maidenhead-s-first-half-marathon/.
- "Places filling up quickly for Maidenhead's first half marathon". Maidenhead Advertiser. 8 July 2011. http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/article-22224-places-filling-up-quickly-for-maidenhead-s-first-half-marathon/.
- "Maidenhead half marathon souvenir special published today". Maidenhead Advertiser. 8 September 2011. http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/article-22957-maidenhead-half-marathon-souvenir-special-published-today/.
Annual half marathons in Europe FranceLille Half Marathon • Marseille-Cassis Classique Internationale • Paris Half Marathon Netherlands Portugal Sweden United Kingdom Elsewhere See also: List of half marathon races • IAAF World Half Marathon Championships
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lisbon Half Marathon — The mass race begins by crossing the Ponte 25 de Abril bridge Date Mid March Location Lisbon … Wikipedia
Budapest Half Marathon — Runners crossing Danube River in the 2010 Budapest Half Marathon race Date Early September Location Bu … Wikipedia
Porto Half Marathon — The race crosses the River Douro over Dom Luís Bridge Date September or October Location Porto … Wikipedia
Zurrieq Half Marathon — The Zurrieq Half Marathon is a road running event held every November in Malta, Europe. The race starts from the Zurrieq Main Square and finishes in the same location after passing through the picturesque towns of Safi, Kirkop, Mqabba, Qrendi and … Wikipedia
Maidenhead — For other uses, see Maidenhead (disambiguation). Coordinates: 51°31′18″N 0°43′04″W / 51.5217°N 0.7177°W / 51.521 … Wikipedia
Nottingham Marathon — The Nottingham Robin Hood Marathon, is a race in Nottingham, England held every year since 1981. The race today incorporates a half marathon, and a fun run, in addition to the full marathon, whilst many businesses and charities take part in the… … Wikipedia
Meadows Marathon — View across the Meadows towards Salisbury Crags (left) and Arthur s Seat The Meadows Marathon is a non profit annual charity Half Marathon and five km fun run. It takes place annually in The Meadows on the first Sunday in March. It is the largest … Wikipedia
Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Marathon — A junior doubles boat starting at Devizes Wharf. The Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Marathon is a marathon canoe race in England. The race is held every Easter over a course of 125 miles (201 km) from Devizes in Wiltshire to… … Wikipedia
Reading, Berkshire — Reading Town Borough … Wikipedia
Neujahrsmarathon Zürich — The Neujahrsmarathon Zürich (New Year s Marathon Zurich) is a marathon race held on January 1 each year, since 2005. The start takes place at midnight, exactly at the beginning of the New Year. Start and finish are located in Schlieren near… … Wikipedia