- Jerry Lawson (engineer)
Jerry Lawson Born December 1, 1940
Brooklyn, New York
Died April 9, 2011(aged 70)
Mountain View, California
Alma mater Queens College Occupation Computer engineer Children 2
During development of the Channel F in the early-mid 1970s, Lawson was Chief Hardware Engineer and director of engineering and marketing for Fairchild Semiconductor's video game division. He also founded and ran Videosoft, a video game development company which made software for the Atari 2600 in the early 1980s, as the 2600 had displaced the Channel F as the top system in the market. 
Lawson was the sole black member of the Homebrew Computer Club, a group of early computer hobbyists which would produce a number of industry legends, including Apple founders Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Lawson also produced one of the earliest arcade games, Demolition Derby, which debuted in a southern California pizzeria shortly after Pong. Lawson later worked with the Stanford mentor program and was preparing to write a book on his career.
In March of 2011, Lawson was honored as an industry pioneer by the International Game Developers Association. One month later, he died of complications from diabetes. At the time of his death, he resided in Santa Clara, California.
- ^ Cifaldi, Frank. "Video Game Pioneer Jerry Lawson Dies". 1up. http://www.1up.com/news/video-game-pioneer-jerry-lawson-dies.
- ^ 
- ^ a b "Fairchild Channel F - The First ROM Cartridge Console". About.com.
- ^ CG Expo 99 Panel announcement
- ^ a b c "Interview: Jerry Lawson, Black Video Game Pioneer". Vintage Computing and Gaming, Feb. 24, 2009.
- ^ Demolition Derby at the Killer List of Videogames.
- ^ Cassidy, Mike. (2011, March 3). "Gaming industry finally recognizes the work of a pioneer", San Jose Mercury News
- ^ Weber, Bruce (April 13, 2011). "Gerald A. Lawson, Video Game Pioneer, Dies at 70". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/technology/personaltech/14lawson.html.
- 2006 Vintage Computing Festival interview video
- Jerry Lawson Biography
- "Computer Gaming '99 Expo Panel Announcement". http://www.spaceweb.us/newsletter/1999/news9907.html. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- Edwards, Benj. "VC&G Interview: Jerry Lawson, Black Video Game Pioneer". http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/545. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jerry Lawson — may refer to: Jerry Lawson (athlete) (born 1966), former American long distance runner Jerry Lawson (engineer) (1940–2011), American electronic engineer Jerry Lawson (musician) (born 1944), singer and producer This disambiguation page lists… … Wikipedia
Deaths in April 2011 — Contents 1 April 2011 1.1 30 1.2 29 1.3 28 … Wikipedia
La Tierra del Olvido — Infobox Album | Name = La Tierra del Olvido Type = Album Artist = Carlos Vives Released = July 25, 1995 Recorded = Genre = Latin Length = Label = Philips Producer = Reviews = Last album = Clásicos de la Provincia (1993) This album = La Tierra del … Wikipedia
Contributors — ▪ 2000 Adams, Andy. Editor and Publisher, Sumo World. Author of Sumo; Sumo World Record Book. • sports and games: Judo; Wrestling: Sumo Ahn, Ki suk. Assistant Editor, Shindonga of Donga Ilbo. • biographies (in part) Alder,… … Universalium
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
Small Wonder (TV series) — Infobox Television show name = Small Wonder caption=The cast of Small Wonder during the first season. format = SciFi Sitcom runtime = approx. 22:15 (per episode) creator = Howard Leeds executive producer=Howard Leeds, Budd Grossman, Jerry Ross,… … Wikipedia
She Wolf (album) — She Wolf Studio album by Shakira Released October 9, 2009 … Wikipedia
Tom Mix — en 1925 Données clés Nom de naissance Thomas Hezikiah Mix … Wikipédia en Français
List of people from Milwaukee, Wisconsin — This is a List of Milwaukeeans, notable citizens of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Contents 1 Born and raised in Milwaukee 2 Born elsewhere, raised in Milwaukee 3 Born in Milwaukee, raised elsewhere … Wikipedia
2000 New Year Honours — The insignia of the Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George: Andrew Wood was awarded the Grand Cross in this Honours list. The New Year Honours 2000 for the United Kingdom were announced on 31 December 1999, to celebrate the year… … Wikipedia