- Karl James Jalkanen
Karl James Jalkanen (Chassell, Michigan, 1958-), FRSC, is a researcher in Molecular Biophysics. He is currently a visiting researcher at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) in Heidelberg, Germany in the Division of Functional Genomics. He has been a visiting Research Professor at Kyushu University in Kasuga, Fukuoka, Japan; a visiting FAPESP Professor of Molecular Biophysics at the University do Vale do Paraíba, UniVap, in São Jose dos Campos, São Paulo, Brazil in the Laboratory of Biomedical Vibrational Spectroscopy, LEVB; a visiting Senior Research Scientist at the Bremen Center for Computational Material Science (BCCMS) at the University of Bremen in Bremen, Germany; a visiting Professor of Biophysics at the Nanochemistry Research Institute (NRI) at Curtin University of Technology in Perth, WA, Australia; a visiting scholar at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) in Heidelberg, Germany; a visiting Professor of Biophysics in the Laboratory of Physics at Helsinki University of Technology, now Aalto University in Otaniemi, Finland; and an Associate Professor of Biophysics at the Technical University of Denmark.
From his biography on the Australian Research Network for Advanced Materials (ARNAM), his focus is:
“ Experimental and experimental vibrational spectroscopy as a probe of structure, function and mechanisms in complex biological systems and processes. Molecular modeling using molecular mechanics, semi-empirical, density functional theory and ab initio methods to model and understand complex biological process: protein function and catalysis. ”
His over 65 peer reviewed scientific papers have been cited 2,000 times in journals such as the Journal of the American Chemical Society, the Journal of Physical Chemistry, the Journal of Chemical Physics, the Journal of Computational Chemistry, Chemical Physics Letters and Theoretical Chemistry Accounts. According to the Royal Society of Chemistry, he is an "expert in spectroscopic methods used in biophysics".
He has been guest editor for three special issues of Theoretical Chemistry Accounts, the P.J. Stephens Honorary Issue, volume 119, numbers 1-3, the January 2008 issue,, with Dr. Gerard M. Jensen, Gilead Sciences, Inc., the Suhai Festschrift Honorary Issue, volume 125, numbers 3-6, the March 2010 isssue, , and finally the special issue commemorating the 77th birthday of Professor Akira Imamura, the Akira Imamura Hononary Issue, volume 130, numbers 4-6, the December 2012, issue . Due to the unfortunate earthquake, tsunami and subsequent problems in Japan the publication of the Imamura Festschrift Honorary Issue has beeb delayed, but it will appear as the December 2011 issue. The articles published online to date which will appear in the Imamura Festschrift Honorary can be accessed at the TCA website, one very interesting one proposing a new structure for collagen by Professor Jakob Bohr and Kasper Olsen at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark titled: The close-packed triple helix as a possible new structural motif for collagen . In addition, there are very interesting biospectroscopy papers, one on the use of Raman spectroscopy in the diagnosis of Rheumatoid arthritis by C.S. Carvalho and collaborators at the University do Vale do Paraíba in São Jose dos Campos, São Paulo, Brazil titled: A Rheumatoid arthritis study using Raman spectroscopy  and a second on the use of infrared spectroscopy and imaging for use in colorectal cancer diagnosis by J.A.A.C. Piva and collaborators at the University do Vale do Paraíba in São Jose dos Campos, São Paulo, Brazil titled: An Overview of the use of theory to understand infrared and Raman spectra and images of biomolecules: Colorectal cancer as an example ,
- University of Southern California
- PhD, MSc, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, 1980 — 1989
- Michigan Technological University
- BSc, Chemistry, 1977 — 1980
- Michigan State University
- Chemistry 1976 — 1977
- "Scientific Commons: Karl Jalkanen". De.scientificcommons.org. http://de.scientificcommons.org/karl_jalkanen. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Karl James Jalkanen". LinkedIn. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/karl%20james/jalkanen. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Orbit Home - Index Karl Jalkanen". Orbit.dtu.dk. http://orbit.dtu.dk/Person.external?sp=9904. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ "ARNAM | ARC Australian Research for Advanced Materials". Materials.com.au. http://www.materials.com.au/index.php?page=profiles&profile=216. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ Department of Molecular Biophysics, German Cancer Research Center, http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/Research/Kuusamo/participants
- ^ "ResearcherID.com - Karl Jalkanen - A-2456-2008". Thomson Reuters. http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-2456-2008. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- ^ "Chemical Biology - Probes for protein structure, 28 June 2006". Royal Society of Chemistry. http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/Journals/cb/Volume/2006/7/Probes_protein_structure.asp. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- ^ P.J. Stephens Honorary Issue, http://www.springerlink.com/content/1432-881x/119/1-3/
- ^ Suhai Festschrift Honorary Issue, http://www.springerlink.com/content/1432-881x/125/3-6/
- ^ Imamura Festschrift Issue, http://www.springerlink.com/content/x45382620j051x22/
- ^ The close-packed triple helix as a possible new structural motif for collagen, http://www.springerlink.com/content/2683526678r4jrll/
- ^ A Rheumatoid arthritis study using Raman spectroscopy, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00214-011-0905-0
- ^ An Overview of the use of theory to understand infrared and Raman spectra and images of biomolecules: Colorectal cancer as an example, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00214-011-1063-0
- ^ "Karl James Jalkanen". LinkedIn. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/karl%20james/jalkanen. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- University of Southern California
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Liste der Biografien/Jae–Jal — Biografien: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of sportspeople who died during their careers — This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries. This is a list of sports people who have died either during their respective careers … Wikipedia