- Dora Van Gelder
Dora van Gelder Kunz (April 28, 1904 – August 25, 1999) was an American writer, psychic, alternative healer, occultist and leader in the Theosophical Society in America. As writer Kunz has titles published around the world in Dutch, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese and Spanish.
Dora van Gelder was born at a Dutch camp called Tjeweng located about five kilometers south of Djombang city situated in the Dutch East Indies, which at that time was a Dutch colony and today is known as Java. There she was raised at her father’s estate, a sugar cane plantation. Since she was a child, she claimed, she interacted with ethereal beings without knowing that clairvoyant ability was unusual. At eleven years old she moved to Mosman, a suburb of Sydney (Australia), to study with someone knowledgeable about her abilities, the then-Anglican clergyman and psychic C. W. Leadbeater, who instructed her in the refining of her psychic skills.
Through Leadbeater she met Fritz Kunz, who used to accompany Leadbeater on his travels. In 1927, at the age of twenty-two, Gelder and Kunz married and moved to the United States where her American husband became the principal of a scholastic foundation and she became president of a corporation related to pedagogic supplies. Soon after coming to the USA, the couple founded the first theosophical camp at Orcas Island in the state of Washington.
For many years, Dora dealt with new methods in healing, particularly therapeutic touch, which she co-developed in 1972 with Dr. Dolores Krieger, a nursing professor at New York University, which is said to promote healing, relaxation and lessen pain. Therapeutic touch, stated Kunz, has its origin from ancient Yogic texts written in Sanskrit, which describe it as a pranic healing method. As a result of that enterprise the technique is taught in approximately eighty colleges and universities in the U.S., and in more than seventy countries.
Kunz philanthropically directed her clairvoyance towards helping physicians in complicated medical cases, in particular aiding in the diagnoses through her supposed capability of seeing the effects of diseases in the aura of the patients. More specifically she reported the existence of centers of energy in human body, also known as chakras, changing their colors according to diseases that affect matching endocrine glands. She is said to have been able to predict some illness as many as eighteen months before symptoms manifest themselves.
In 1975 Kunz became president of the Theosophical Society in America. In 1977 she published a manuscript about her fairies experiences in her youth, “The Real World of Fairies”. She stated that, during her life, she had always kept the communication with nature spirits. According to her, in 1979 she saw fairies in Central Park, New York but due to the increasing pollution, it was more difficult to encounter them. Kunz claims that devas are intimately connected with a vital energy, transmitting force to preserve and heal the Earth. She said as long as more people get involved with environmental causes, better are the chances of communication between humans and devas. In 1987 after completing twelve years as president of the Theosophical Society in America, Kunz retired from the presidency and thereafter devoted herself mostly to lecturing and writing books.
- Christmas of the Angels, 1962.
- The Real World of Fairies, 1977.
- Fields and their clinical implications; co-author Erik Peper, 1985.
- Spiritual aspects of the healing arts, 1985.
- Devic Counsciouness, 1989.
- The Chakras and the Human Energy Fields; co-author Shafica Karagulla, 1989.
- The Personal Aura, 1991.
- Spiritual Healing, 1995.
- Aura en persoonlijkheid: aura's zien en begrijpen (Aura and personality: see auras and understand); co-author George Hulskramer, 1998.
Interviews and lectures
- Reminiscences of Annie Besant and C.W. Leadbeater; with Fritz Kunz, 1967.
- Healing and the Dynamic Structure of Man, 1974.
- Masters and the Future of the Theosophical Society, 1978.
- The Alchemical Power of Consciousness Healing; with Janet Macrae, 1979.
- The Path and the Spiritual Life; with Renee Weber, 1980.
- Application of Theosophy; with William J. Ross, 1981.
- Use of Healing Energy in Therapeutic Touch, 1981.
- Karma and Human Relations, 1981.
- Masters of the Wisdom, 1982.
- Inner Structure of Man & Its Effects On Life, 1983.
- Interview with Father Bede Griffiths, 1983.
- Depression From the Energetic Perspective; with Erik Peper, 1984.
- Masters and the Future, 1984.
- Man's Experience at Different Levels of Consciousness, 1985.
- Theosophical Perspectives on Dealing with Pain; with Erik Peper, 1985.
- The Objectives of the Theosophical Society; with Radha Burnier, 1986.
- The Role of Karma in Life, 1986.
- Letting Go: Perspectives on Death and Dying; with Erik Peper, 1987.
- Chakras and the Human Energy Fields, 1989.
- Deeper View of Healing and Its Many Aspects; with Dolores Krieger, 1989.
- Conscious Use of the Healing Mind; with Dolores Krieger, 1990.
- Healing and Changes in the Invisible Emotional Patterns, 1991.
- Conversation with Dora Kunz, 1992.
- Personal Aura and its Relation to Daily Life, 1992.
- Karma: White Lotus Day Commemoration, 1994.
- Spiritual Aspects of Healing and Therapeutic Touch, 1994.
- Meditation as a Part of Life, 1996.
- ^ a b c Nathaniel Altman, The deva handbook: how to work with nature's subtle energies, 1995. pp. 18,19, 124. ISBN 0892815523.
- ^ a b c Russell Targ, Jane Katra, Miracles of Mind:Exploring Nonlocal Consciousness and Spiritual Healing, 1999. pp. 166, 239, 240. ISBN 9781577310976.
- ^ a b c d e f Ed. by J. Gordon Melton, Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology – Volume II, 2001. Gale Group, Inc. 5th Edition. p.1625. ISBN 0810394898.
- ^ J. van Dulm, W.J. Krijgsveld, H.J. Legemaate, H.A.M. Liesker, G. Weijers; Illustrated atlas of Japanese camps in the Netherlands East Indies, - East Indies Camp Archives. Netherlands Institute for War Documentation (NIOD). Retrieved 01/2011.
- ^ Pedro Oliveira, Dora van Gelder Kunz’s Testimony, CWL World. Retrieved 01/2011.
- ^ a b Peter Read, Haunted Earth, 2003. p. 30. ISBN 0868407267.
- ^ a b c d e Theosophical Publishing House, Dora van Gelder Kunz, Theosophical Society in America. 2010.
- ^ Gregory John Tillett, Charles Webster Leadbeater 1854-1934: A Biographical Study, 1986. University of Sydney, Department of Religious Studies. Chapter 22, pp. 846-847.
- ^ Tova Navarra and Adam M.D. Perlman, The encyclopedia of complementary and alternative medicine, 2004, p. 73. ISBN 0816049971.
- ^ Rosemary Guiley, Encyclopedia of mystical & paranormal experience, 1993, p. 69. ISBN 1856273229.
- ^ Robert T. Carroll, Therapeutic Touch - the Skeptic's Dictionary. Copyright 1994-2009.
- ^ Leonard C. Bruno, Therapeutic touch - Encyclopedia of Medicine. Article, 2001. Gale Research. Retrieved 01/2011.
- ^ Von Braschler, Natural Pet Healing: Our Psychic, Spiritual Connection, 2003. pp. 2,3. ISBN 1931942072.
- ^ Cyndi Dale, The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy, 2009, p. 249. ISBN 1591796717.
- ^ Gordon Stein, The encyclopedia of the paranormal, 1996, p. 266. ISBN 1573920215.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ethereal being — Water nymph by John Collier, 1923. Ethereal beings, according to some belief systems and occult theories, are mystic entities that usually are not made of ordinary matter. Despite the fact that they are believed to be essentially incorporeal,… … Wikipedia
Therapeutic Touch — (TT) (englisch für Therapeutische Berührung) ist eine in den USA verbreitete alternativmedizinische, so genannte bio energetische Behandlungsmethode, eine Variante des Handauflegens, bei der der Behandler den Patienten allerdings nicht berührt.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Astral body — The Astral Sleep by Jeroen van Valkenburg The astral body is a subtle body posited by many religious philosophers, intermediate between the intelligent soul and the physical body, composed of a subtle material. The concept ultimately derives… … Wikipedia
Charles Webster Leadbeater — This article is about the clergyman and Theosophical author. For the contemporary author, see Charles Leadbeater. Charles Webster Leadbeater in 1914 Charles Webster Leadbeater (16 February 1854 – 1 March 1934) was an influential member of the… … Wikipedia
List of occultists — List of notable occultists and mystics. This is a list of notable people, whether contemporary, historical or legendary, who are or were involved in any of the following practices and traditions: occult science paranormal magic, black or white… … Wikipedia
Астральное тело — Герон ван Валкенбург Астральный сон Астральное тело … Википедия
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
literature — /lit euhr euh cheuhr, choor , li treuh /, n. 1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays. 2.… … Universalium
Turn-Weltmeisterschaften 2006 — Die 39. Weltmeisterschaften im Gerätturnen fanden vom 13. bis 21. Oktober 2006 in Aarhus (Dänemark) statt. Die Wettkämpfe wurden in der NRGi Arena ausgetragen. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Teilnehmer 2 Ergebnisse 2.1 Männer … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of fictional books — A fictional book is a non existent book created specifically for (i.e. within) a work of fiction. This is not a list of works of fiction (i.e., actual novels, mysteries, etc), but rather imaginary books that do not actually exist.UsesSuch a book… … Wikipedia