- Lines, Vines and Trying Times
Lines, Vines And Trying Times Studio album by The Jonas Brothers Released June 12, 2009
(See release history)
Recorded February–April 2009 Genre Pop, teen pop, pop rock Length 47:54 Label Hollywood Producer John Fields Professional reviews
The reviews parameter has been deprecated. Please move reviews into the “Reception” section of the article. See Moving reviews into article space.
The Jonas Brothers chronology Music from The 3D Concert Experience
Lines, Vines and Trying Times
Jonas Brothers Live CD+DVD
Singles from Lines, Vines and Trying Times
Released: May 12, 2009
- "Fly With Me"
Released: June 9, 2009
- "Keep It Real"
Released: September 8, 2009
Lines, Vines and Trying Times is the fourth studio album by the Jonas Brothers and their third album released under Hollywood Records. It was released June 16, 2009 in the U.S. The album received mixed reviews from critics and fans. In its first week, Lines, Vines and Trying Times sold 247,000 copies, debuting at #1 on the Billboard 200. This is last album released by the trio before their hiatus in 2011.
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Nick Jonas explained the title, Lines, Vines and Trying Times as "a bit of poetry we came up with on the set for the TV show." On the meaning he stated, "Lines are something that someone feeds you, whether it's good or bad. Vines are the things that get in the way of the path that you're on, and trying times — well, obviously we're younger guys, but we're aware of what's going on in the world and we're trying to bring some light to it." He noted, "this new album for us, I wouldn’t say it’s a big jump, but it definitely is a progression in our music and a growth for us. It has a lot more kinds of horns and a lot more strings." Added Joe Jonas, "there’s more to the music rather than just a typical kind of relationship song."
In another interview, Nick Jonas explained that the album is "our journal in songs," mostly about "all things we've gone through, personal experiences we get inspiration from." He also added that "we've also been working on trying to use metaphors...to kind of mask a literal thing that happens to us." Kevin Jonas also added that "the overall message is its the same old Jonas Brothers, in a sense" and that they will be adding "different musical instruments that are going to add and build to the sound we already have." Musical influences for this album include Elvis Costello, Nickelback, The Zutons, Coldplay and Neil Diamond.
The Jonas Brothers were promoting the album on their 2009 world tour which began on May 18, 2009 in Lima, Peru. The track "Fly with Me" was featured during the end credits of Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. They've hosted three live web chats via Facebook (May 7, May 28 and June 4) to promote the album. The brothers performed songs off the album for a Wal-Mart Soundcheck concert which was released on June 9, 2009. They performed on Good Morning America on June 12, 2009 as part of GMA's Summer Concert Series.Radio Disney premiered all the songs from the album over a period of four days between June 11 and June 14. The entire album premiered on June 16, 2009.On June 21, 2009, they co-hosted and performed at the 2009 MuchMusic Video Awards. The Jonas Brothers appeared on various television programs to promote the album which included: Live with Regis & Kelly, The Late Show with David Letterman, Good Morning America, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Larry King Live, The Today Show, Ellen and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. On August 9, 2009, they hosted the 2009 Teen Choice Awards along with performing "Much Better".
Reviews for the album were mixed, both from critics and fans saying that it was "premature". According to review aggregator Metacritic, the album has received mixed or average reviews, scoring 52 out of 100 points based on 11 reviews. Allmusic named "overthinking and over-production" as the album's main flaws, and noted that the group's combination of "teen pop that skews adult in its sound and form" seemed effortless on their previous album, A Little Bit Longer, but felt that on Lines the "seams are showing." Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune claimed, "The rush to maturity is, well, premature," and added that "the strings and horns [...] only bog things down." Entertainment Weekly criticized "Don't Charge Me for the Crime," calling it "the sonic equivalent of being held at gunpoint by a baby rabbit," but praised "Black Keys" as being the most honest track, adding that "its quiet brushstrokes of teenage despair easily transcend Lines' misdemeanor mutinies." The New York Daily News criticized "World War III," saying, "it sounds like they just pulled a collective hernia." 
"Paranoid" was released as the album's lead single on May 12, 2009. Hollywood Records confirmed on April 29, 2009 that the track "Paranoid" would be the album's official single. On May 7, 2009 the song debuted on Radio Disney. It was released as an official radio single on May 8, 2009 and as a digital download on May 12. The music video was directed by The Malloys. The music video for Paranoid premiered on May 23, 2009 on Disney Channel. Paranoid peaked at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- "Fly With Me"
"Fly With Me" was released as a single on June 9, 2009. The song was first used during the end credits of the movie Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian. A music video for the song premiered on Disney Channel on June 7, 2009. To date, Fly with Me has peaked at #83 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it one of the group's lower charting singles.
- "Keep It Real"
"Keep It Real" was confirmed as a single via Twitter. The music video for the song premiered on September 6, 2009. The song was first used during the JONAS episode "Keeping It Real". To date, the song has not charted. Critiques of the song have noted its strong similarities to Maxine Nightingale' 1975 recording Right Back Where We Started From.
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "World War III" Nick Jonas 3:13 2. "Paranoid" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Cathy Dennis 3:39 3. "Fly with Me" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Greg Garbowsky 3:54 4. "Poison Ivy" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, G. Garbowsky 4:09 5. "Hey Baby" (featuring Jonny Lang) Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Michael B. Nelson 3:19 6. "Before the Storm" (featuring Miley Cyrus) Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Miley Cyrus 4:26 7. "What Did I Do to Your Heart" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas 3:17 8. "Much Better" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas 4:36 9. "Black Keys" Nick Jonas 3:48 10. "Don't Charge Me for the Crime" (featuring Common) Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Ryan Liestman, Common 3:59 11. "Turn Right" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas 2:48 12. "Don't Speak" Jonas Brothers, John Fields 3:55 13. "Keep It Real" Joe Jonas, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas 2:51Total length: 47:54 Bonus track No. Title Writer(s) Length 14. "Infatuation" (Jonas Brothers) Jonas Brothers 3:30
- Japanese bonus DVD
- "Paranoid (Music Video)"
- "Paranoid (Making of the Video)"
- "Album Photo Behind The Scene"
- "TV 'JONAS' Behind The Scene"
In its first week, Lines, Vines and Trying Times sold 247,000 copies, debuting at #1 on the Billboard 200. It stood at #10 with only 34,000 copies sold in its fourth week. The next week it dropped to 14.
The album stayed on the Billboard 200 for 27 consecutive weeks.
Charts and certifications
Chart (2009) Peak
Australian ARIA Albums Chart 5 - - Argentina Albums Chart 3 Gold 20,000+ Austrian Albums Chart 33 - - Belgian Albums Chart 16 - - Brazil Top 10 CD ABPD 5 Gold 30,000 Canadian Albums Chart 1 Platinum 80,000 Danish Albums Chart 28 - - Dutch Albums Chart 21 - - European Top 100 Albums 7 - - Finnish Albums Chart 15 - - French Albums Chart 17 - - German Albums Chart  56 - - Irish Albums Chart 6 - - Italian FIMI Albums Chart 8 Gold 35,000 Mexican Albums Chart 1 Gold 40,000 New Zealand Albums Chart 8 - - Norwegian Albums Chart 25 - - Polish Albums Chart 22 - - Portuguese Albums Chart 3 - - Spanish Albums Chart 1 Gold 40,000 Swedish Albums Chart 14 - - Swiss Albums Chart 46 - - UK Albums Chart 9 - - U.S. Billboard 200 1 Gold 640,000 Venezuela Albums Chart 1 Gold -
Region Date The Netherlands, Italy, France, Poland, Austria, Spain, Estonia, and Ireland June 12, 2009 United Kingdom (selected), Portugal, Philippines and Mexico June 15, 2009 United States, Canada, Brazil, and Colombia June 16, 2009 Asia and Latin America June 17, 2009 Australia and Oceania June 19, 2009
- Kevin Jonas II: guitar, piano ("Turn Right"), backing vocals
- Joe Jonas: guitars, lead vocals, keyboards
- Nick Jonas: guitars, lead vocals, keyboards, piano, glockenspiel, drums on "What Did I Do to Your Heart", "Hey Baby" and "Keep It Real"
- John Fields: bass, guitars, keyboards, programming, vocals, percussion, baritone guitar, talk box
- John Taylor: lead guitar, vocals
- Dorian Crozier: drums, percussion, programming
- Ken Chastain: percussion, programming, keyboards
- Steve Lu: keyboards
- Commissioner Mike: police scanner on "Don't Charge Me for the Crime"
- Common: guest rap on "Don't Charge Me for the Crime"
- Chris Beaty: guitar solo on "Much Better"
- Will Owsley: pedal steel and guitar on "Turn Right"; mandolin and baritone guitar on "What Did I Do to Your Heart"
- Stuart Duncan: fiddle on "Turn Right" and "What Did I Do to Your Heart"
- Greg Garbowsky: bass on "What Did I Do to Your Heart"
- Jon Lind: acoustic guitar on "What Did I Do to Your Heart"
- Frédéric Yonnet: harmonica on "What Did I Do to Your Heart"
- Bruce Bouton: pedal steel on "Before the Storm"
- Miley Cyrus: guest vocal on "Before the Storm"
- Millard Powers: 12-string acoustic guitar on "Before The Storm"
- Michael Bland: drums on "Hey Baby" and "Paranoid"
- Jonny Lang: lead guitar on "Hey Baby"
- Steve Roehm: vibraphone on "Paranoid"
- Strings on "Black Keys", "Don't Speak", "Fly with Me", and "Before the Storm" arranged and conducted by Steve Lu and performed by Eric Gorfain, Daphne Chen, Radu Pieptea, Wes Precourt (violins), Caroline Buckman, Briana Bandy (violas), Richard Dodd and Matt Cooker (cellos). Horns on "Much Better" and "Hey Baby" arranged by Michael Nelson and performed by The Hornheads: Steve Strand (lead trumpet), Dave Jensen (trumpet), Michael Nelson (trombone), Kenni Holmen (tenor saxophone), Kathy Jensen (baritone saxophone). Horns on "Poison Ivy" arranged by Ken Chastain and performed by Matt Darling (trombone), Joe Mechtenberg (saxophone), Zack Lozier (trumpet). Horns on "World War III" arranged by Jerry Hey (trumpet), Gary Grant (trumpet), Dan Higgins (saxophone), Bill Reichenbach Jr. (trombone). Horns on "Keep It Real" arranged by Steve Lu and performed by Dan Fornero (trumpet), George Stanford (trombone), Brian Gallagher (saxophone). Common appears courtesy of GOOD Music/Geffen/Interscope Records.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers at Myspace Music". http://www.myspace.com/jonasbrothers. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers spend a Night at the Museum". http://music.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=416187&showcomments=true. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- ^ "Thursday, May 07, 2009 - LIVE FACEBOOK WEBCAST TODAY 5PM PDT!!!". Jonas Brothers via Myspace Blogs. 05-07-2009. http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=22191827&page=6. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- ^ ""Friday, May 29, 2009 - Last Night's Chat" and "Friday, May 29, 2009 - NEXT LIVE FACEBOOK WEBCAST JUNE 4TH!!!"". Jonas Brothers via Myspace Blogs. 2009-05-29. http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=22191827&page=2. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- ^ "Soundcheck - Jonas Brothers". http://soundcheck.walmart.com/jonas-brothers. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- ^ "'GMA' Summer Concerts in Central Park". http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SummerConcert/story?id=7502433&page=1. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers at MMV Awards". MuchMusic Video Awards. http://mmva.muchmusic.com/. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers Myspace (Events List)". Jonas Brothers via Myspace. http://www.myspace.com/jonasbrothers. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- ^ "'Twilight,' Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers rock the Teen Choice Awards". LA Times. 08-09-2009. http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2009/08/teen-choice-awards-miley-cyrus-jonas-brothers-twilight-robert-pattinson-zac-efron.html. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "Lines, Vines and Trying Times". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/jonasbrothers/linesvinesandtryingtimes?q=cyrus. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- ^ "Allmusic ((( Lines, Vines and Trying Times > Overview )))". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1562511. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "Chicago Tribune Album Review - Lines, Vines and Trying Times". Chicago Tribune. 2009-06-15. http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2009/06/album-review-jonas-brothers-lines-vines-and-trying-times.html. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "Lines, Vines and Trying Times - Music Review - Entertainment Weekly". Entertainment Weekly. 06-09-2009. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20284096,00.html. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ Farber, Jim (06-15-2009). "New Music Tuesday: The Jonas Brothers' 'Lines, Vines and Trying Times' more Chipmunks than Monkees". New York Daily. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2009/06/16/2009-06-16_the_jonas_brothers_.html. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ Farber, Jim (06-15-2009). "New Music Tuesday: The Jonas Brothers' 'Lines, Vines and Trying Times' more Chipmunks than Monkees and Beyond". New York Daily. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2009/06/16/2009-06-16_the_jonas_brothers_.html#ixzz0O76NAKKw. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers Paranoid (Video, Lyrics)". http://music.rightcelebrity.com/?p=2280. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers Set to Release Fourth CD Lines, Vines And Trying Times Worldwide June 15; Major Roll-Out for First Single 'Paranoid' Starts May 8". Hollywood Records. 2009-04-29. http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/prnewswire/press_releases/California/2009/04/29/LA07334. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- ^ ""FLY WITH ME" VIDEO THIS SUNDAY ON DISNEY CHANNEL!!!". Jonas Brothers via Myspace Blogs. 06-05-2009. http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=22191827&blogId=493170708. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers Twitter". http://twitter.com/Jonasbrothers. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- ^ "Lines, Vines and Trying Times". Commonsensemedia.com. Barnes&Noble. http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Lines-Vines-and-Trying-Times/Jonas-Brothers/e/50087130848/. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ^ "Jonas Brothers Brothers Lines Vines and Trying Times Tracklist". Tommy2.Net. 2009-05-07. http://tommy2.net/content/?p=2351. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ "Lines, Vines And Trying Times". http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/9783603/Lines-Vines-And-Trying-Times/Product.html.
- ^ Caulfield, Keith (2009-06-24). "Jonas Brothers Debut Atop Billboard 200". Billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jonas-brothers-debut-atop-billboard-200-1003987126.story. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ Caulfield, Keith (07-15-2009). [Maxwell Tops Billboard 200 "Maxwell Tops Billboard 200"]. Billboard.com. Maxwell Tops Billboard 200. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ Grein, Paul (2009-07-22). "Week Ending July 19, 2009: Daughtry Makes "Idol" History". Yahoo Music. http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/39922/week-ending-july-19-2009-daughtry-makes-idol-history/. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/billboard-200?chartDate=2009-07-04
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r "Lines Vines and Trying Times on Charts". acharts.us. 2009-05-07. http://acharts.us/album/44255. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ "CAPIF - Representando a la Industria Argentina de la Música". Capif. http://www.capif.org.ar/Default.asp?CodOp=ESCS&CO=6. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ a b "Discos de Oro y Platino". 2009-08-23. http://www.capif.org.ar/Default.asp?PerDesde_MM=0&PerDesde_AA=0&PerHasta_MM=0&PerHasta_AA=0&interprete=&album=Lines%2C+Vines+And+Trying+Times&LanDesde_MM=0&LanDesde_AA=0&LanHasta_MM=0&LanHasta_AA=0&Galardon=O&Tipo=1&ACCION2=+Buscar+&ACCION=Buscar&CO=5&CODOP=ESOP. Retrieved 2009-08-23.
- ^ "2009 Week 25" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. ABPD. 2009-06-22. http://www.abpd.org.br/noticias_internas.asp?noticia=168. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ^ Brothers "Certifications" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. ABPD. http://www.abpd.org.br/certificados_interna.asp?sArtista=Jonas Brothers. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ^ Brothers "Brazil Certifications" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. ABPD. http://www.abpd.org.br/certificados_interna.asp?sArtista=Jonas Brothers. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- ^ "Jonas Bros. crush Peas on charts". 2009-06-24. http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/J/Jonas_Brothers/2009/06/24/9912491-wenn-story.html. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
- ^ "Gold & Platinum Certification". Canadian Recording Industry Association. August 2009. http://www.cria.ca/goldplat.php. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- ^ http://musicline.de/de/chartverfolgung_summary/title/Jonas+Brothers/Lines%2Cvines+And+Trying+Times/longplay
- ^ http://www.italiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jonas+Brothers&titel=Lines,+Vines+And+Trying+Times&cat=a
- ^ Gold Certification AMPROFON
- ^ http://olis.onyx.pl/listy/index.asp?idlisty=517&lang=
- ^ http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-06-18/have-the-jonas-brothers-been-eclipsed-by-justin-bieber/2/
- ^ http://perezhilton.com/2009-12-31-hits-and-misses-of-09
- ^ a b c d "Jonas Brothers' Fourth Album Due June 15". Billboard. 2009-03-18. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jonas-brothers-fourth-album-due-june-15-1003952570.story. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
The E.N.D. by The Black Eyed Peas
U.S. Billboard 200 number-one album
July 4, 2009
The E.N.D. by Black Eyed Peas
The E.N.D. by Black Eyed Peas
Canadian Albums Chart
June 22, 2009
The E.N.D. by Black Eyed Peas
Jonas Brothers Studio albums Soundtracks Extended playsArtist Karaoke Series: Jonas Brothers · Be Mine · iTunes Live from SoHo Live albumsJonas Brothers Live: Walmart Soundcheck Concert toursFall 2005 Promo Tour · Marvelous Party Tour · Look Me in the Eyes Tour · Burnin' Up Tour · Jonas Brothers World Tour 2009 · Jonas Brothers Live in Concert World Tour 2010 TelevisionJonas Brothers: Living the Dream (List of episodes) · Jonas L.A. (List of episodes) Related articles Jonas Brothers singles It's About Time Jonas Brothers A Little Bit Longer Lines, Vines and Trying Times"Paranoid" · "Fly with Me" · "Keep It Real" Featured singles"Send It On" Soundtrack singles Other songs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lines, Vines, and Trying Times — Lines, Vines and Trying Times Lines, Vines and Trying Times Album par Jonas Brothers Sortie 12 juin 2009 (France) 15 juin 2009 (Europe) 16 juin 2009 (EU,Canada,Brésil … Wikipédia en Français
Lines, Vines and Trying Times — Album par Jonas Brothers Sortie 12 juin 2009 (France) 15 juin 2009 (Europe) 16 juin 2009 (EU,Canada,Brésil) 17 … Wikipédia en Français
Lines, Vines and Trying Times — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español
Lines — Lines, Vines and Trying Times Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Lines, Vines and Trying Times Álbum de estudio de Jonas Brothers Publicación … Wikipedia Español
Business and Industry Review — ▪ 1999 Introduction Overview Annual Average Rates of Growth of Manufacturing Output, 1980 97, Table Pattern of Output, 1994 97, Table Index Numbers of Production, Employment, and Productivity in Manufacturing Industries, Table (For Annual… … Universalium
ALIYAH AND ABSORPTION — GENERAL SURVEY Introduction Aliyah, ascension or going up, is the coming of Jews as individuals or in groups, from exile or diaspora to live in the Land of Israel. Those who go up for this purpose are known as olim – a term used in the Bible for… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Haroun and the Sea of Stories — Infobox Book name = Haroun and the Sea of Stories title orig = translator = image caption = 1991 Penguin paperback edition cover author = Salman Rushdie illustrator = cover artist = country = United Kingdom language = English series = genre =… … Wikipedia
Jonas Brothers — This article is about the band. For the band s self titled album, see Jonas Brothers (album). Jonas Brothers … Wikipedia
Jonas Brothers — Un wikipedista está trabajando actualmente en este artículo o sección. Es posible que a causa de ello haya lagunas de contenido o deficiencias de formato. Si quieres, puedes ayudar y editar, pero por favor: antes de realizar correcciones mayores… … Wikipedia Español
Jonas Brothers — Основная информация … Википедия