- Sierra Leone (commonwealth realm)
Sierra Leone Commonwealth Realm 1961–1971 → Flag Coat of Arms Motto
'Unity, Freedom, Justice'
'High We Exalt Thee, Realm Of The Free'
Capital Freetown Language(s) English, Krio Government Constitutional Monarchy Queen of Sierra Leone - 1961-1971 Elizabeth II Governor General of Sierra Leone - 1961-1962 Sir Maurice Henry Dorman - 1962-1967 Sir Henry Josiah Lightfoot Boston - 1967-68 Andrew Juxon Smith - 1968 John Amadu Bangura - 1968-1971 Sir Banja Tejan-Sie Prime Minister - 1961-1964 Milton Margai - 1947-1967 Albert Margai - 1967 Siaka Stevens - 1967 David Lansana - 1957-60 Siaka Stevens Historical era Cold War - Independence 27 April 1961 - Became Republic 19 April 1971 Currency Leone(from 1964)
The commonwealth realm of Sierra Leone, known officially simply as Sierra Leone, was a predecessor to modern-day Sierra Leone and an independent state and that existed between 27 April 1967 and 19 April 1971. It was the African country with the longest tenure as a commonwealth realm. When British rule ended in 1961, Sierra Leone was given independence as a commonwealth realm, in which the state existed until the promulgation of the 1971 constitution. During the commonwealth realm phase, the British monarch remained head of state of Sierra Leone, and was represented in Sierra Leone by a governor-general. The following governors-generals held office in Sierra Leone during the commonwealth period:
- Sir Maurice Henry Dorman (27 April 1961–27 April 1962)
- Sir Henry Josiah Lightfoot Boston (27 April 1962–April 1967)
- Andrew Juxon-Smith (April 1967–18 April 1968) (acting)
- John Amadu Bangura (18–22 April 1968) (acting)
- Sir Banja Tejan-Sie (22 April 1968–31 March 1971)
- Christopher Okoro Cole (31 March–19 April 1971) (interim)
- Milton Margai(27 April 1961-30 April 1964)
- Albert Margai(30 April 1964-17 March 1967)
- Siaka Stevens(17 March 1967-21 March 1967)
- David Lansana(21 March 1967-24 March 1967)
- Ambrose Patrick Genda(24 March 1967-27 March 1967)*
- Andrew Juxon Smith(27 March 1967-19 April 1968)*
- Patrick Conteh(19 April 1968-26 April 1968)**
- Siaka Stevens (again) (26 April 1968-19 April 1971)
- as 'Chairman of the National Reform Council'
- as 'Chairman of the National Interim Council'
The Commonwealth Realm was abolished in 1971, Prime Minister Siaka Stevens became the first President of Sierra Leone.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Commonwealth realm — The Commonwealth realms, shown in blue. Former Commonwealth realms are shown in red. A Commonwealth realm is a sovereign state within the Commonwealth of Nations that has Elizabeth II as its monarch and head of state. … Wikipedia
Sierra Leone — Infobox Country native name = conventional long name = Republic of Sierra Leone common name = Sierra Leone symbol type = Coat of Arms national motto = Unity Freedom Justice national anthem = High We Exalt Thee, Realm of the Free official… … Wikipedia
Sierra Leone — Republic of Sierra Leone Republik Sierra Leone … Deutsch Wikipedia
Commonwealth Realm — Weltkarte mit Hervorhebung der Commonwealth Realms (rosa) Ein Commonwealth Realm [rɛlm] (englisch: Commonwealth realm; etwa: Commonwealth Königreich) ist ein souveräner Mitgliedstaat des Commonwe … Deutsch Wikipedia
Republik Sierra Leone — Republic of Sierra Leone Republik Sierra Leone … Deutsch Wikipedia
Commonwealth Broadcasting Association — Logo of the CBA Formation 15 February 1945 Type Representative body for broadcasters Headquarters … Wikipedia
Commonwealth of Australia — Commonwealth von Australien … Deutsch Wikipedia
Commonwealth Games — Federation seal, adopted in 2001 Motto Humanity – Equality – Destiny Headquarters … Wikipedia
Commonwealth — Dieser Artikel erläutert den Staatenbund Commonwealth of Nations; andere Bedeutungen des Wortes Commonwealth unter Commonwealth (Begriffsklärung). Flagge des Commonwealth of Nations … Deutsch Wikipedia
Commonwealth Realms — Weltkarte mit Hervorhebung der Commonwealth Realms (rosa) Ein Commonwealth Realm [rɛlm] (englisch: Commonwealth realm; etwa: Commonwealth Königreich) ist ein souveräner Mitgliedstaat des Commonwealth of Nations, der mit der br … Deutsch Wikipedia