- Stand-alone power system
A stand-alone power system (SAPS or SPS), also known as remote area power supply (RAPS), is an off-the-grid electricity system for locations that are not fitted with an electricity distribution system. Typical SAPS include one or more methods of electricity generation, energy storage, and regulation.
Electricity is typically generated by one or more of the following methods:
- Solar panel
- Wind turbine
- Geothermal source.
- Micro combined heat and power.
- Micro hydro.
- Diesel or biofuel generator.
Storage is typically implemented as a battery bank, but other solutions exist including fuel cells. Power drawn directly from the battery will be direct current extra low voltage (DC ELV), and this is used especially for lighting as well as for DC appliances. An inverter is used to generate AC low voltage, which more typical appliances can be used with.
Stand-alone photovoltaic power systems are independent of the utility grid. Stand-alone photovoltaic power systems are designed and sized to supply certain DC and/or AC electrical loads. These types of systems are powered by either a Solar panel only or may be used in conjunction with a diesel generator or a wind turbine.
The two types of stand-alone photovoltaic power systems are direct-coupled system without batteries and stand alone system with batteries.
The basic model of a direct coupled system consists of a solar panel connected directly to a dc load. As there are no battery banks in this setup, energy is not stored and hence it is capable of powering common appliances like fans, pumps etc only during the day. MPPTs are generally used to efficiently utilize the Sun's energy especially for electrical loads like positive-displacement water pumps. Impedance matching is also considered as a design criteria in direct-coupled systems.
Stand alone system with batteries
In stand-alone photovoltaic power systems, the electrical energy produced by the photovoltaic panels cannot always be used directly. As the demand from the load does not always equal the solar panel capacity, battery banks are generally used. The primary functions of a storage battery in a stand-alone PV system are:
- Energy Storage Capacity and Autonomy: To store energy when there is an excees is available and to provide it when required.
- Voltage and Current Stabilization: To provide stable current and voltage by eradicating transients.
- Supply Surge Currents: to provide surge currents to loads like motors when required.
Monitoring photovoltaic systems can provide useful information about their operation and what should be done to improve performance, but if the data are not reported properly, the effort is wasted. To be helpful, a monitoring report must provide information on the relevant aspects of the operation in terms that are easily understood by a third party. Appropriate performance parameters need to be selected, and their values consistently updated with each new issue of the report. In some cases it may be beneficial to monitor the performance of individual components in order to refine and improve system performance, or be alerted to loss of performance in time for preventative action. For example, monitoring battery charge/discharge profiles will signal when replacement is due before downtime from system failure is experienced.
IEC standard 61724
IEC has provided a set of monitoring standards called the "Standard for Photovoltaic system performance monitoring". It focusses on the photovoltaic system's electrical performance and it does not address hybrids or prescribe a method for ensuring that performance assessments are equitable.
Performance assessment involves:
- Data collection, which is a straightforward process of measuring parameters.
- Evaluation of that data in a manner that provides useful information.
- Dissemination of useful information to the end user.
The wide range of load related problems identified are classified into the following types:
- Wrong selection: Some loads cannot be used with stand-alone PV systems.
- House wiring: Inadequate or low quality wiring and protection devices can affect the system's response.
- Low efficiency: Low efficiency loads may increase energy consumption.
- Stand-by loads: Stand-by mode of some loads waste energy.
- Start-up: High current drawn by some loads during start-up Current spikes during the start-up can overload the system temporarily.
- Reactive power: The circulating current can differ from the current consumed when capacitive or inductive loads are used.
- Harmonic distortion: Non-linear loads may create distortion of the inverter waveform.
- Mismatch between load and inverter size: When a higher rated inverter is used for a lower capacity load, overall efficiency is reduced.
- Grid-connected photovoltaic power system
- List of rooftop photovoltaic installations
- Photovoltaic power plant
- Building-integrated photovoltaics
- Solar inverter
- Energy harvesting
- Rural electricity
- Australian Greenhouse Office
- Stand-alone photovoltaic power system
- ^ a b "Stand-Alone Photovoltaic Systems". renewable-energy-sources.com. http://www.renewable-energy-sources.com/2010/04/20/stand-alone-photovoltaic-systems/. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ "A STAND-ALONE PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEM, CASE STUDY: A RESIDENCE IN GAZA". trisanita.org. http://www.trisanita.org/jases/asespaper2010/ases09v5n1y2010.pdf. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ "Stand Alone PV Systems". eai.in. http://www.eai.in/ref/ae/sol/cs/tech/saps/stand_alone_solar_pv_systems.html. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ "SBatteries and Charge Control in Stand-Alone Photovoltaic Systems-Fundamentals and Application". localenergy.org. http://www.localenergy.org/pdfs/Document%20Library/Fundamentals%20of%20batteries%20and%20charge%20control.pdf. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ a b "Guidelines for Monitoring Stand-Alone Photovoltaic Systems: Methodology and Equipment". iea-pvps.org. http://www.iea-pvps.org/index.php?id=9&eID=dam_frontend_push&docID=377. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ "Photovoltaic system performance monitoring – Guidelines for measurement, data exchange and analysis". IEC standard 61724, Geneva: 37. 1998.
- ^ "Use of appliances in Stand-Alone PV Power supply systems: problems and solutions". iea-pvps.org. http://www.iea-pvps.org/index.php?id=9&eID=dam_frontend_push&docID=375. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex episodes — The collection box released in North America by Manga Entertainment. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (攻殻機動隊 STAND ALONE COMPLEX, Kōkaku Kidōtai Sutando Arōn Konpurekkusu … Wikipedia
Power supply — For the Budgie album, see Power Supply (album). A vacuum tube rackmount adjustable power supply, capable of +/ 1500 volts DC, 0 to 100mA output, with amperage limiting capability. A power supply is a device that supplies electrical energy … Wikipedia
Hero System — 6th Edition Generic Cover Designer(s) Steven S. Long Publisher(s) Hero Games Publication date 1989 2002 (5th ed.) 2009 (6th ed.) … Wikipedia
AC power plugs and sockets — See also: Industrial and multiphase power plugs and sockets Plugs and sockets may sometimes combine male and female contacts, but t … Wikipedia
Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System — (EMALS) is a system under development by the United States Navy to launch aircraft from carriers using a linear motor drive instead of steam pistons used in conventional aircraft catapults. This technology has the advantage of gradually… … Wikipedia
Remote Area Power Supply — A Remote Area Power Supply (RAPS) is a system that provides electricity in remote locations, without requiring connection to an electricity distribution system. RAPS is now typically called a Stand alone Power Systems (SAPS or SPS), as the same… … Wikipedia
autonomous system — A stand alone PV system that has no back up generating source. May or may not include storage batteries. Most battery systems are designed for a certain minimum days of autonomy which means that the batteries can supply sufficient power with no … Energy terms
Super Nintendo Entertainment System — Super Nintendo Entertainment System … Wikipedia
Deployment of solar power to energy grids — depends largely upon local conditions and requirements. Many industrialized nations are installing significant solar power capacity in their grids as a reliable economic supplement or alternative to other power sources. Long distance transmission … Wikipedia
VS System — Infobox Game | subject name= VS System image link= image caption= designer=Matt Hyra, Mike Hummel, Edward Fear, and Danny Mandel publisher= Upper Deck Entertainment players= 21 ages= 10+ setup time= < 5 minutes playing time= < 30 minutes… … Wikipedia