- Director of Floor Operations
Director of Floor Operations is the title of two staff members in the United States House of Representatives, with the Majority Director in the Speaker's office and the Minority Director in the Minority Leader's or Minority Whip's office. Each director is primarily responsible for informally counting votes and ascertaining the support of their party's Members of Congress for particular legislation prior to recorded votes.
Another responsibility of the role is persuading Members of Congress from their party to vote along with their party's Leadership, even when it is unpopular. They may also be charged with coordinating outreach to allied groups of lobbyists, corporations, or unions.
During the 112th Congress (2011–2012), the Majority Director of Floor Operations (for the Republicans) is Anne Thorsen and the Minority Director of Floor Operations (for the Democrats) is Jerry Hartz.
The director can also have a deputy, who assists with counting votes and running the floor. During the 111th Congress (2009–2010), the Majority Deputy Director of Floor Operations (for the Democrats) was Catlin O'Neill, granddaughter of former Speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Jr.
- ^ a b Susan Ferrechio, 3-Minute Interview: Jerry Hartz, Washington Examiner, March 9, 2009
- ^ a b Ryan Grim, Kyle Nevins: Blunt's smooth edge, Politico, July 21, 2008
- ^ Kate Ackley, Congress’ Wary Outreach to K St., Roll Call, January 29, 2007
- ^ "Boehner Announces More Staff Assignments for Speaker's Office" (Press release). Office of the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives. http://www.speaker.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=218672.
- ^ Almanac of the Unelected: Staff of the U.S. Congress 2011. Bernan Press. 2011. p. 18. ISBN 978-1-59888-416-6. http://books.google.com/books?id=lhXoy389YegC&lpg=PP1&dq=almanac%20of%20the%20unelected%202010&pg=PT21#v=onepage&q=%22director%20of%20floor%20operations%20for%20minority%20leader%22&f=false.
- ^ a b Sasha Issenberg, Another O'Neill keeps watch over House gavel, Boston Globe, April 13, 2009
- ^ Paul Bedard, Cooperation Rules With Hill Staff Despite Polarization, U.S. News & World Report - Washington Whispers blog, March 17, 2010
- ^ Andie Coller, 25 people you should know on the Hill, Politico, January 6, 2009
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Floor 13 (video game) — Infobox VG| title = Floor 13 developer = David J Eastman publisher = Virgin Interactive released = 1992 genre = Strategy game modes = Single Player platforms = MS DOS, Atari ST, AmigaFloor 13 is a single player computer game set in the United… … Wikipedia
United States House of Representatives Office of Emergency Planning, Preparedness, and Operations — The Office of Emergency Planning, Preparedness and Operations (OEPPO) provides emergency planning and operational support to the United States House of Representatives. The Office was established by 2002 legislation in the aftermath of the… … Wikipedia
Office of Operations Coordination — The Office of Operations Coordination and Planning (OPS) is a component of the headquarters of the United States Department of Homeland Security. It is designed to provide situational awareness and decision support for the Secretary of Homeland… … Wikipedia
United States House of Representatives Page — Program was a program run by the United States House of Representatives, under the office of the Clerk of the House, in which appointed high school juniors acted as non partisan federal employees in the House of Representatives, providing… … Wikipedia
United States Congress — For the current Congress, see 112th United States Congress. United States Congress 112th United States Congress … Wikipedia
Congressional Budget Office — Agency overview Formed July 12, 1974 Headquarters Ford House Office Building … Wikipedia
Congressional Research Service — Agency overview Formed 1914 Headquarters Washington, DC Agency executives … Wikipedia
Minority leader of the United States House of Representatives — Democratic Leader Incumbent Nancy Pelosi … Wikipedia
Current members of the United States House of Representatives — Percent of members of the House of Representatives from each party current to January 2011. Region Democrats Republicans Vacant Total States as defined in the US Census New England … Wikipedia
Clerk of the United States House of Representatives — Clerk of the House of Representatives redirects here. For the Australian office, see Clerk of the Australian House of Representatives. The Clerk of the United States House of Representatives is an officer of the United States House of… … Wikipedia