- Directly elected mayor of Bedford
Mayor of Bedford Style No courtesy title or style Appointer Electorate of Bedford Term length Four years Inaugural holder Frank Branston Website www.bedford.gov.uk/council and democracy/elected mayor
The directly elected mayor of Bedford is a directly elected mayor responsible for the executive function of Bedford Borough Council in Bedfordshire. The incumbent is Dave Hodgson of the Liberal Democrats. Since April 2009 the Borough of Bedford is a unitary authority, with the executive having the powers and functions of both a non-metropolitan district and a non-metropolitan county.
Bedford held a referendum on 21 February 2002 on whether to introduce a directly elected mayor after a petition was signed by at least 5% of the electorate. The move was approved with 11,316 voting in favour and 5,357 against on a turnout of 15.5%.
Local authority Date Yes Votes Yes Vote % No Votes No Vote % Turnout % Bedford 21 February 2002 11,316 67 5,537 33 16
In 2007 Frank Branston was re-elected as mayor.
Bedford Mayoral Election Results 2007 Name Party 1st Preference Votes % 2nd Preference Votes % Final % Frank Branston Better Bedford Independent 15,966 3,732 19,698 Nicky Attenborough Conservative 10,710 2,603 13,313 Christine McHugh Lib Dem 10,553 N/A Randolph Charles Labour 4,758 N/A Justina McLennan Green 1,538 N/A Bedford Mayoral Election Results 2009 Name Party 1st Preference Votes % 2nd Preference Votes % Final % Dave Hodgson Liberal Democrat 9,428 26.8 4,127 13,555 54.0 Parvez Akhtar Conservative 9,105 25.9 2,438 11,543 46.0 Apu Bagchi Independent 7,631 21.7 N/A Tony Hare Independent 4,316 12.3 N/A James Valentine Labour 3,482 9.9 N/A Eve Morley Green Party 1,183 3.4 N/A
- ^ Parker, Simon (2002-02-22). "Bedford wants a mayor". London: guardian.co.uk. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/feb/22/politics.localgovernment. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- ^ Sherman, Jill (2002-10-19). "Maverick mayors add to Labour's embarrassment". London: The Times. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article815070.ece?print=yes&randnum=1151003209000. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- ^ Using the Supplementary Vote system
- ^ Percentage figures are not officially used on the final votes, they are produced here for illustration and are calculated by the candidates final vote divided by the total of final votes
- ^ a b "Lib Dems claim victory in Bedford mayor race". 24dash.com. 2009-10-16. http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Government/2009-10-16-Lib-Dems-claim-victory-in-Bedford-mayor-race. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ "Lib Dem Dave Hodgson is the new Mayor of Bedford". Bedfordshire on Sunday. 2009-10-16. http://www.bedsonsunday.com/bedsonsunday/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=456763. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
Directly elected mayors in the United Kingdom
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Directly elected mayor of Watford — Mayor of Watford Incumbent Dorothy Thornhill since May 2002 … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayor of Tower Hamlets — Mayor of Tower Hamlets Incumbent Lutfur Rahman since 25 October 2010 … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayor of Newham — Mayor of Newham redirects here. For civic mayors appointed before 2002, see List of mayors of Newham. Mayor of Newham Incumbent Robin Wales since 2 May 2002 Style … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayor of Lewisham — Mayor of Lewisham redirects here. For civic mayors appointed before 2002, see List of mayors of Lewisham. Mayor of Lewisham Incumbent Steve Bullock Style … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayor of Leicester — Mayor of Leicester Incumbent Sir Peter Soulsby since 6 May 2011 … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayor of Hackney — Mayor of Hackney Incumbent Jules Pipe Style No courtesy title or style … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayor of Doncaster — Mayor of Doncaster Incumbent Peter Davies since 4 June 2009 Style No courtesy title or style … Wikipedia
Directly elected mayors in the United Kingdom — Directly elected mayors are council leaders elected by the general electorate of a council area for local government, instead of being appointed by members of a local authority, which is common in the United Kingdom. The Elected Mayor is elected… … Wikipedia
Mayor of London — This article is about the directly elected mayor of Greater London. For the City of London mayor, see Lord Mayor of London. Mayor of London … Wikipedia
Bedford (borough) — Infobox UK district name = Borough of Bedford status = Borough region = East of England admincounty = Bedfordshire area = Ranked 104th 476.41 km² adminhq = Bedford onscode = 09UD population = Ranked English district rank|ONS=09UD English district … Wikipedia